StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

I attend WSU Global Campus and am aSuper BrilliantComputer Science
I attend WSU Global Campus and am a senior majoring in Data Analytics. I already have a previous bachelors degree from another university. This program is absolutely terrible. There is very high faculty turnover. Most classes are taught by people with only masters degrees from outside the field. I currently have an upper division computer science class being taught by a grad student from the electrical engineering department who doesn not answer e-mails or respond to student questions on the discussion boards. The professor who taught this course last year quit after 1 year, and also did not have a computer science degree. The chair of the department is full of herself and also does not respond to e-mails. She taught one of my courses and abandoned the class halfway through the term. As in, stopped posting assignments, interacting via e-mail or discussion board, and was completely unreachable for the last 7 weeks of the term until she showed up to give a final exam with multiple choice questions she copied off other university exams she found for free online. I have never had a course that was taught by the person who created the material. Courses take old powerpoints (in some cases over ten years old) and post them as stand alone resources for students to teach themselves. I pay $1500 a class for this. Rarely is there meaningful interaction with faculty. Large courses have section instructors that are often unqualified with bad attitudes and work ethics. Professors generally do not respond to questions or answer e-mails. You are on your own in this program. And some of these classes are really, really hard. I was not expecting 100 and 200 level computer science classes to take 40 hours a week per class. Noone at this university cares about you or your concerns, needs, or career goals. I have no idea why I pay as much as an on campus student and have zero of the same resources. You are no more than a dollar sign to the administration. Steer clear of this program, it's awful.
3rd Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
Look, its not the cream of the crop,BrightPharmacy
Look, its not the cream of the crop, so don't take the really negative comments too hard because if you were expecting Harvard, its you that has the problem. It's not the bottom of the barrel either. WSU was not my first choice as a High School senior, but I had to transfer here after a year at my dream school. It's really taught me so much more about failure and humility than I would have never learned at my old school. Sure, I could of stayed at my old school and had the best college experience ever, but I think people try and push that "college is perfect" image too hard. Its not. And I'm not talking about just failing classes or having bad relationships or roommates. I'm saying its just the same as every other part of your life. You decided what you do and how its going to turn out, the campus you go to doesn't have any effect on how you develop. Like me, if you are lazy and don't take opportunities, not even getting into Harvard would be me any good. There are frat dudes who haven't showered in weeks, but also students who have received achievements higher than Yale students. There are great programs here and excellent teachers IF you look for them. Yes, I'm so sorry you have to actually do some work; boo hoo for you. Make of it what you will, but don't shit on WSU just because you were mad about not making it into a more advertised school. There are some of the most driven and devoted student here that don't need your negativity and complaining as they are designing the latest technology or solving world problems. YES, there is a party scene, but guess what? Everyone else is just jealous that our parties fucking rock and theirs gets shut down in the first 5 minutes. The town in non-existent and I have nothing positive to say about that, but make friends!! Half the negative comments on here will tell you that they had a negative time because they didn't make friends. Don't blame the school for excluding yourself from people and bitch facing them and then not getting invited to events :)
2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: B, Education Quality: B
You can shape theQuite BrightPsychology
You can shape the experience you have going to WSU, if you are ready for the responsibility there is every opportunity to have a great education and enjoy yourself. If you get swept up in enjoying yourself too much you might get a better education somewhere more rigid or with mire safety nets.
4th Year Male -- Class 2005