StudentsReview :: Liberty University

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

Alumni Survey

Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
I came to Liberty as a passionate and extremely motivated student both faith-wise and intelligence wise. I had a full ride to a state school. I can't stress this enough, you will get a far better education at a state school and the cost is far less. I also firmly believe that your faith will grow more at a state school. Why? You will be challenged at a state school, the Christian community at state schools is unified and active. At Liberty everyone is "Christian". There is no community and not much zeal. In reality nobody does much of anything. Students at Liberty are far more vain than students at state schools.

If you go to Liberty only go there for your first two years. Then transfer to a state school, make sure you plan it out. If you want the Christian environment and the core Christian classes, my theology class and two missions electives I took were the saving grace of the university (but that was individual Christians ministering to me not the school). Liberty creates stagnant, burnt-out Christians. Most of the students fall through the cracks. There is little challenge on campus. The university spends its money on the sports program while the academics suffer. The higher administration may have had good goals but they are delusional and disconnected. Liberty students cannot get jobs after graduation so the school hires many of them to run its online program. They are horrible to deal with.

Every interaction with financial aid was hell. The school routinely cheated me out of money and made life hell. Its 6 months after I graduated and the financial aid office charged me a random charge, even though it isn't the same year or the same semester. My account was paid in full as this is required to graduate. Their office like usual doesn't care.

The online program is a horrible waste of money. You are better off getting an academic education from an academic institution, get involved in your local body of Christ for your Christian education, get mentored, the resources are there. Don't pay for horrible academics and professors (most of which) don't care. There are some awesome Christians at Liberty. I would only advise it for music majors, but even then I do not advise anyone to attend this university.

Liberty tore me down, the staff treated me horribly, you will find that among the LU Online students are ignorant fundamentalists, and not the good Christian fundamentalist, the hate-filled ones that give Christianity a bad name, are deeply unhappy and only bring others down. Its not fun being in a discussion group with someone who thinks you are the anti-Christ because you say the Bible does not ban all alcohol for Christians. I personally didn't drink till I was 21 and only lightly drink, but if you read the Bible it does not ban wine for example, only getting drunk and hard liquor, unless you are making someone stumble or a king, etc.

You will not grow at Liberty, I'm sorry. If you want to be at camp for four years with a bunch of immature kids who just hook up and become co-dependent, then Liberty may be a good choice, but you will regret going there.

If you attend Liberty and get sucked in it is hard to transfer, state schools may not accept everything, and once the University has you, you will get no mercy. They can do anything they want to you without consequences. It is a nightmare to contact anyone.

God needs you on the campus of state schools, He doesn't need you amongst a bunch of lukewarm Christians (I include myself as being lukewarm while I was there, though personally I struggled with severe depression and religious doubts - of which nobody at Liberty helped me with or cared, except my Theology teacher a little while I was in class). For example, while Bible study is something awesome at state schools and amongst local college groups, at liberty, "prayer groups" are unofficially required. And nobody wants to be there.

A lot of the students get married too early and graduate this school with as much as $80,000 in debt. Their degrees are mostly worthless. Please think carefully.
commentWhy is so hard to transfer? I phoned two accredited universities here in North Carolina (UNC at Pembroke and University of North Carolina) and neither would accept courses from Liberty University. I believe they said something about Liberty not being accredited by AACSB.

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→