StudentsReview :: Colorado State University - Fort Collins - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

University of Colorado -- Denver, CO

Total Grad Surveys 11
Females 2
Males 9
Avg years at University 2.9
Research Quality B (6.6)
Research Availability B- (6.4)
Research Funding C+ (5.3)
Graduate Politics B- (5.8)
Not Errand Runners B+ (7.5)
Degree Completion B (7.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.4)
Sufficient Pay B- (5.8)
Competitiveness C (4.5)
Education Quality C+ (5.6)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.4)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.8)
Friendliness B (7.1)
Safety B+ (7.7)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.5)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.6)
University Spending B (6.9)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.6)
Scholastic Success B (6.6)
Surrounding City A- (8.4)
Social Life/ Environment B (6.9)
CompetitivenessC
Surrounding CityA-
I read some of the comments below andApr 19 2016Economics
I read some of the comments below and thought I should chime in, having graduated from CSU with an Econ PhD and having had a great experience both while attending and after. I'm aware of an incident that could have led to two particular disgruntled students...especially w.r.t. them and the chair's response to an incident. They transferred halfway through their time there. Otherwise, this is a great environment. There could be more research support, but I also know they created two more RA positions in 2013. The TA and Instructor positions have always offered generous pay and benefits, along with great teaching experience and support. My main complaint would be in how the chair doesn't fill out national ranking surveys so that the department can participate in those. He simply doesn't believe in them. But he believes in good teaching and research and the department has made some good moves recently.
NEVER go to graduate school in economics atDec 14 2015Economics
NEVER go to graduate school in economics at Colorado State. Faculty is primarily a joke, do not expect anyone to have much experience they can share (despite being of age to do so). The classes are equally as much of a joke, much time is spent on basic simplistic ideas and models that in their presentation require much effort and "tweaking" to make functional. Faculty will make it seem like what they are preaching is important and valid; when logic dictates the opposite, so make up your own mind here. The chair is concerned with the bottom line alone, look to their 400K slush fund - with unfunded research/students and a lack of appropriate tools provided to grad students. They offer minimal assistance both verbal and financial for research. All the while they'll peddle that they work so hard behind the scenes to "create classes to teach" and get students benefits... all the while the slush grows. The Grad coordinator is nothing more than the perpetuator of the rumor mill, expect heavy gossip and bad mouthing to occur, don't even ask about playing favorites. If you take home nothing, take this with you: faculty is arrogant, unhelpful and rude to students (openly and behind closed doors), unrealistic theory dominates the classroom, minimal discussion occurs, students are frantic and afraid, unprepared for the next steps and unaware of what is to come even in the next week; quality of education is poor and it won't be uncommon to hear people say they don't feel they know anything. Don't be a pawn for this pathetic department and waste years of your life or turn down good.. or for that matter any other offers to go to school elsewhere, even consider not going to grad school, working a few years and re applying prior to joining CSU's economics department.
Do not go to graduate school at CSUNov 02 2015Economics
Do not go to graduate school at CSU. The graduate school exploits graduate students by forcing them to teach classes as instructors rather than give GTAs. They pay slightly better than the market. But this only works if you can afford to pay your deductible on the insurance and if you have not debt to repay. You no longer get the graduate student health insurance. If you were borrowing money to try to survive then as you work you must pay back your student loans. This makes surviving all but impossible. The teachers do not care. They are openly rude to graduate students. accusations of laziness and lying are the norm. It is the worst working environment I have ever been a part of. There is genuinely no desire to help students with their careers. Only interested in making money.
I had a great experience at CSUSep 24 2015Biology
I had a great experience at CSU. It's always been my experience that SCHOOL IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT, not what the school hands you on a silver platter. That said, I went here because I didn't have the money other students had to go here. My parents were poor, and I got a track scholarship. I often found myself sleeping int he library because i was studying so much there. I studied hard, and got into a doctoral program, and I still address CSU as my alma mater. You can see what I'm about on my website, www.dynamicclinic.com, and I'd be happy to answer any questions my particular experiences could help you with.
Fort Collins is a beautiful city and ColoradoJul 07 2014Economics
Fort Collins is a beautiful city and Colorado is a great state in many ways. However, I advise against attending Colorado State University at all costs. Graduate school is tough but the faculty of CSU's Ag Econ Department are renowned across the campus and across the discipline for their abusiveness.
May 11 2014Electrical Engineering
Funding in the department is awful. Research, teaching and other resources are average,nothing great to boast about.
Applied economics is a tough discipline and ISep 10 2013Economics
Applied economics is a tough discipline and I have been fortunate enough to have a good job in my field. However, I cannot in good faith recommend CSU's program to anyone. I had a good advisor, and achieved my own accomplishments IN SPITE OF other students and faculty. CSU is a snake pit if there ever was one. My time at CSU was one of the worst times of my life.

The word among the profession is to stay far, far away from CSU. I give the same advice to everyone who asks me, as an alumni. The faculty are wickedly mean and really not that accomplished, considering their attitudes. The students are perpetually freaked out, and are not supportive, either. The undergrads that I've had in class are also snooty and privileged. Compared to other universities that I have attended, including my current employer, I urge all other students to FIND A DIFFERENT UNIVERSITY. There are much better places in Colorado, and this place is in a downward spiral.

Oct 04 2011History/Histories (art history/etc.)
No support. No leadership.
CSU is generally aMay 30 2004Philosophy
CSU is generally a nice place to go to school. Fort Collins is a nice, quiet little town, close to Denver, Boulder, and Rocky Mountain National Park. I am a grad student, so it's hard for me to know what undergrads think of it, but I have heard only positive things from them.
Sep 21 2003Electrical Engineering
Great educational institution in a great town!
Compare CSU-Fort CollinsSave CSU-Fort Collins