StudentsReview :: Colorado State University Fort Collins - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Colorado -- Denver, CO

Colorado State University Fort Collins

I am an out of state transfer student

Apr 16 2014Architecture & Urban Planning Department
I am an out of state transfer student. CSU Landscape Architecture department is the worst. Not one of the instructors has ever had any real world experience in the field, so they lack any knowledge of what is happening with current trends in the industry or are able to give any realistic problem solving advice. The students are extremely arrogant, yet talent-less, because the teachers are very arrogant and it seems to rub off on the students. Many of the teachers did go to Harvard, yet have never had a job other than teaching! You will hear is "I went to Harvard" in a snooty, holier than thou way EVERY DAY. Yet they haven't worked at any firms, they couldn't LA jobs so they got jobs teaching. Worst types of teachers - they all have chips on their shoulders. And, most are tenured so don't have to care. When the students graduate, all they have in their portfolio is a bloated self esteem and can't find a job!

That playboy model with

Apr 02 2014Psychology
That playboy model with fake boobs, fake lips, and fake hair. She seems like it may have a great personality but she doesn't. This playboy model has zero substance. This is what CSU is trying to become.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: C, Education Quality: F

I am a non-traditional student who transferred into

Nov 06 2014Electrical Engineering
I am a non-traditional student who transferred into CSU from Front Range Community College here in Fort Collins. I have lived in Fort Collins for the past 20 years, and I am raising my children here (they are in High School now). The city really does love CSU and the people here (many of whom attended CSU themselves) are proud of the RAMS. I was really excited to be attending this school and I couldn't wait for my first semester to start. I thought I was going to get a first rate education...not the case!

1)The Computer Science department is abyssmal and their curriculum is a mess. I had to take programming classes for my degree... and I was excited at the prospect of learning programming. I even took an extra class concurrently as an elective so I would have a leg up on other students. This was a huge mistake. The lectures are completely useless and it is a game of Russian Roulette as to whether you get a TA for your Recitations that actually speaks intelligible English. After taking this class, I can't even write simple programs. One of the instructors was friendly when I went to him for help, but the other was not interested in actually helping me understand the material.

2) The Math department is also a complete mess. There are some good instructors, and thankfully, last semester I lucked out and got one of the good ones. Her class filled up quickly with students who were ditching their assigned lecture in favor of hers though. This semester I didn't fare as well, but I am now ditching my lecture and going to another professor's lecture instead. I recommend not taking any math courses here because you will basically have to teach yourself the material. Go to Front Range instead. If you are accepted into CSU, but have poor math scores, you will be required to attend a PACE course, the intention of which is to get you up to speed so you can meet department requirements. Students who have taken PACE courses have no clue how to even solve simple trigonometric formulas.

3)The SCIENCE DEPARTMENT IS ALSO A MESS! Do not take CHEM or Physics here. Go to Front Range instead! You will learn nothing taking science courses at CSU.

Bottom line...if you are accepted to CSU, take all required math and science courses concurrently at the local community college and transfer the credits. The level of instruction there is beyond the wildest dreams of CSU. Not only is the instruction better, but you will pay a third of the tuition for those classes.

I have been dogging on the school pretty hard, but there are great benefits also. Since you don't receive a lot of help from professors, there are a lot of tutors that are paid by the university. You can learn here...just not from most of the professors. If you are struggling in math or science, you have loads of help at your disposal. Most students are very welcoming if you ask to join with them in a study group as well...you just need to be serious about studying or they will lose patience with you quickly. Another perk is almost all of the sporting events are no charge to students...and there is nothing more fun than tailgating at Hughes Stadium and then watching the Rams kick Mountain West butt! Also...the College of Natural Resources is pretty cool. I know a lot of students that are taking courses there and they are all loving it.

Overall life in Fort Collins is great. Tons of stuff to do unless you are into the clubbing scene...for that you can go down to Denver. We have a beautiful city with tons of parks and outdoor activity is second to none... AND the weather is pretty mild. There is no reason to own a car as the bus is free for all students and the city is extremely bike friendly...until you get on campus anyway. Campus police target cyclists and find any excuse to ticket them. This wouldn't be as much of an issue except it is almost impossible to find a parking spot on campus and you are not allowed to park in the neighborhoods surrounding the campus.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018