StudentsReview :: The University of Waterloo - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Waterloo (Canada)

I often wonder what my life would beQuite BrightKinesiology
I often wonder what my life would be like had I decided to go to a different University. The kin program is good in that it has cadavers and lots of bio based stuff, but there are so many math and chem courses you have to take and it does not apply at all. No electives until 3rd year. Both of my two years here have just been struggling to get through my piles of assignments and readings every week. The people in kin are more friendly than other programs but with all the work there is hardly any time for socializing. I am happy with the group of friends I have but kin in very clique-y and reminds me a lot of high school in terms of that dynamic. People from other programs are completely unfriendly, and will take no hesitation in shitting all over the kin program every chance they get (especially engineers and math/cs students) even though we have physics, math chem and especially tons of bio. I've considered switching programs or schools more than once because in the first two years you barely do any kin stuff. Some profs are fantastic, the majority however just care about their research. The TA's in the non-kin courses are unhelpful and tell you to figure things out yourself. The school is ugly and miserable looking. The coop program is so hyped up, but it is so stressful to find a job. They are 100% employer focused and do not care about your coop experience at all. I was one of the lucky ones in kin to find a coop job (hardly any do) but it paid minimum wage. A lot of the coop jobs are basically emptying garbage cans etc. My boyfriend is in engineering and even his coop jobs which are super hyped up gave him little useable skill. 4/5 of his roommates didn't even get an interview this round and they are in their 3rd round of coop at this point. The amount of money going into AHS is pitiful. We have one building, compared to engineers who have 7 I think, and I get there's more people in that but one building is ridiculous. All the money is invested into their engineer and math students, if you are in another program you may as well go somewhere else.
more→Jan 29 2015
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
UW is a great school for certain things,Super BrilliantMath
UW is a great school for certain things, especially computer science or computer engineering, as it sets the stage for a career in technology in Silicon Valley or elsewhere. For those interested in entrepreneurship UW's Velocity and Velocity Garage program is a great resource. UW is definitely a geeky sort of school--in my experience unapologetically so--so if someone is looking for less of a geek experience and more of a social life, it might not be the right place. That's how it was back in my day and, based on fairly recent visits to the campus, I don't think the basic geek vibe has changed much. For a particular kind of student, though, UW should be their first choice.
more→Jan 22 2015
Starting Job: Software Developer; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
Do not go toComputer Science
Do not go to the University of Waterloo, shitty people and shitty professors. Trust me when I say to not even apply for computer science or CFM.
more→Jan 07 2015

Southwestern College (KS) 1:negative

Arizona State University (AZ) 1:negative

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

John Carroll University (OH) 1:positive