StudentsReview :: The University of Waterloo - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

The University of Waterloo (Canada)

Total Grad Surveys 2
Females 0
Males 2
Avg years at University 1.0
Research Quality A- (8.2)
Research Availability F (0.8)
Research Funding C+ (5.5)
Graduate Politics C (4.5)
Errand Runners D- (1.5)
Degree Completion F (0.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A- (8.5)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.5)
Competitiveness C- (3.8)
Education Quality B (6.7)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.4)
Useful Research F (0.8)
"Individual" treatment D (2.3)
Friendliness A- (8.2)
Safety B+ (7.7)
Campus Beauty D (2.3)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.5)
University Resource/spending A- (8.2)
Extracurriculars A (9.0)
Success-Understanding D- (1.5)
Surrounding City D- (1.7)
Social Life/Environment D- (1.5)
Research AvailabilityF
ExtracurricularsA

Joining to the PhD Program in Economics in

Sep 08 2014Economics
Joining to the PhD Program in Economics in 2013-14 was the worst decision of my life. I was surprised when I find four PhD students has been transferred to MA program from my previous cohort. Six students has start PhD program in 2013-14 including me. As expected they kicked out one student and transfer two to MA just after first semester. I was just panicked do not know what to do because by this time I realized their not judging us on the basis of our merit. I was more than serious and studying more than twelve hours per day and doing reasonably well in all mid exams. My final exams were good and I was preparing for the comprehensive exams. However, they (specially micro Porf) have decided my grade even before the semester!! I have applied for the reexamination. When I examined the reassessed test I found serious inconsistencies in the marking, for example, for the same question I originally got 8 out of 12 and the reassessor give me 3 out of 12. Further the first question was a straight definition question out of 10 marks and I received only 6/10. I had memorized these definitions and wrote out exactly what we were given in our notes and do not understand why I lost marks. No one helps me. They make my life miserable both mentally and financially (they literally cut my PhD funding which are promised for the first year). I know this is not the end of the life and am sure to overcome this disaster. My advice for the future students, "STAY AWAY FROM UWATERLOO ECONOMICS"

Started as PhD student there

Apr 07 2012Math
Started as PhD student there. Studied at two different universities in two other countries before and had a good time. Not at UWaterloo though. High workload and way too much busy work, not really goal-oriented. Lack of time to socialize, some people sleep less than 5h for many days in a row. Life happens elsewhere, but not at UWaterloo.

University of the Cumberlands (KY) 1:negative 1:neutral