StudentsReview :: Georgia State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Georgia -- Athens, GA

Georgia State University

This campus is inQuite BrightMusic Education
This campus is in DOWNTOWN ATLANTA. Everyone MUST be aware of their surroundings at all times. Make sure you know where you are going, have friends/classmates with you when you're walking from building to building, and make sure to keep all valuables close.
5th Year Female -- Class 2004
Friendliness: A+, Campus Maintenance: D+
It's very strange.
It's very strange. Many of the kids at my high school have parents that went to GSU. Many of my friends have parents that went to GSU. MY PARENTS went to GSU. All of them, when I talk to them about it, say that it was a good experience where they met a lot of friends and had a fun time. That's weird, because almost everyone I'm friends with here, including myself, are transferring away. Georgia State is not the same school our parents went to. It is twice as big, but only because it is far easier to be admitted now than it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago, the school was 10 percent black. Now it is 40 percent black, with black students dominating the social scene on campus. I don't want to sound racist, but it's not the color that I don't like, it's the culture. Rap music every time there's an event. Ebonics used in the classroom. Center for BLACK student advancement. If you are a whitekid from a white neighborhood who went to a white high school, chances are you want to transfer to GT or UGA, and that's because that's where all your friends probably are. I know I do.
After being waitlisted by UGA, I had toQuite BrightPolitical Science
After being waitlisted by UGA, I had to enroll at my safety school, GSU. Obviously, not too happy at the prospects. All it took was a year here and now I have transferred to UGA but here's my 2 cents.

The GOOD stuff: TONS of academic opportunities. GSU has a grossly low 4 year grad rate and so they offer many programs and services to academically coach students. Professors are fairly helpful and have 3 hours each day they open to student inquiry. GSU has nice people as well. Honestly, you can probably find a niche here as there are all types of students. The people I've met have been friendly and somewhat helpful.

The BAD stuff: Lots more to post here... The school is pretty dingy. You'll find that buildings like Kell, Sparks, and Langdale are all dirty renovated office buildings. The only good undergrad building is Aderhold but it's a few blocks away from the main courtyard. Gross food was a turn off. I was a commuter so I didn't have a meal plan but when I did eat here, it was like school cafeteria food... Lots of foreign teachers. GSU prides itself on being the most diverse school in the U.S. but the foreign teachers are unintelligible. There are points when I can't tell a word they are saying. As many have said, the homeless population is endless and you will constantly be accosted by them for a few bucks. Just politely turn them down and say you have to get to class or something. Transportation is also a nightmare here. Try getting 20,000+ students with cars into a few parking decks... Since most commute, parking is hellish. Lots of smoking and some drinking also goes around on campus but I think that's with any college, it's just not my scene. Lastly, it's not academically challenging in the least. As a high school honors student, I was expecting a bit more from college classes. However, I also took 10 AP classes so there wasn't much of a step up. Overall, if you can get into a higher ranking, better quality school, GO THERE!

1st Year Male -- Class 2018