StudentsReview :: Georgia State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Georgia -- Athens, GA

Georgia State University

While professors and course work were satisfactory, theBrightLinguistics
While professors and course work were satisfactory, the administrative system is complete crap. For the entire time I attended I never knew when registration deadlines were, only to find out they had the incorrect email address for me, but were sending other emails to the correct one. Also the online portal requires you to change your password almost every 2 weeks which is just incredibly annoying.

This past Fall Semester I went to the bookstore to buy books and explicitly told them I did not want to rent, I walked away with what I assumed were books I bought, then 2 months after the semester was over I was charged for those books as though I had rented them. Turns out whoever completed my purchase in store screwed up royally and rang me up as renting, without putting stickers in the books to tell me the date they were due back, or letting me know in anyway that the books were not bought and paid for.

The Academic Advisement department was the absolute worst. I could not make decisions on my own in the system, I had to meet with an advisor and have them do it for me, but literally every time I called to set an appointment with who I was told my advisor would be, I was redirected to a new one. After it happened twice I avoided going to see the Academic Advisors as much as possible but I still managed to go through 8 different advisors during my time at GSU. The most frustrating thing about many of these interactions was that I was often not notified of the change in who my advisor was until I was already at the office and waiting for the now wrong advisor. For some reason the advisor's offices were spread out on campus, and their schedules were incredibly difficult to match with my own. I was not incredibly busy, but for some reason every advisor I had to meet with only had a few inconvenient time block available a week, which made no sense to me considering the vast amount of advisors there were.

When registering for classes, the online system would never recognize my applicable prerequisites for higher level classes. Every time a class required previous courses that I already had taken I would have to specifically email the professor and ask for their permission to join their class. This meant that I often couldn't get my full schedule set until the absolute last second and put the pressure on my professors, instead of just acknowledging my past credits and allowing me to join the class online. Last thing is I got married right before starting at GSU, and the university has absolutely no benefits for spouses. My wife would often want to participate in on campus events with me, get my same discounts for local hot spots, or get access to the university gym, but the University doesn't seem to acknowledge that spouses are an integral part of a student's life, and don't allow them the same simple benefits that most universities do. While getting these things for free might be a stretch for smaller Universities, most still allow discounted rates for spouses to benefit from the same things universities provide their students. It prevented me from wanting to participate in Campus activities because my wife couldn't join me without paying, and we would often opt to find off campus things to enjoy together.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F
I am honestly tired of all the negativeQuite BrightCommunications
I am honestly tired of all the negative comments about Georgia State. If you didn't want to go, then you shouldn't have! I also noticed that many people have negative comments regarding black people attending the school. Georgia State is one of the most diverse campuses in the U.S. and that is something that they attest to proudly. Everyone deserves to go to college and receive a higher education, it is not your place or right to rate an institution's quality of education based on who they decide to admit to their school. These students worked just as hard or even harder to be able to receive their degrees. If you have a problem with diversity, don't bother bringing your privileged, racist, moronic attitudes to this school.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A, Campus Aesthetics: D-
The campus is tooNot so brightArchitecture
The campus is too open you come in contact with all kind of characters ....Its not a safe environment to study. They need to clean up the streets
1st Year Female -- Class 2019