StudentsReview :: The University of Iowa - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 11
Females 6
Males 5
Avg years at University 2.9
Research Quality C+ (5.2)
Research Availability C (4.4)
Research Funding C (4.5)
Graduate Politics C (4.7)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.6)
Degree Completion C+ (5.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.4)
Sufficient Pay C (4.9)
Competitiveness C (4.3)
Education Quality C+ (5.2)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.6)
Useful Research B- (6.5)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.3)
Friendliness B- (6.0)
Safety B (7.1)
Campus Beauty B (6.9)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.6)
University Spending B (7.0)
Extracurriculars B (6.6)
Scholastic Success B- (6.3)
Surrounding City B (7.2)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.8)
CompetitivenessC
Social Life/ EnvironmentB+
This is a research school (schools can haveFeb 03 2014Unknown
This is a research school (schools can have a research, education, or teaching focus), however, most faculty seem to believe that teaching is not their job and a waste of their time (therefore they could care less whether you are actually LEARNING anything; and some of them like to waste your time blabbing about their research that has nothing to do with the classes) basically it's a couple of hours they have to waste each week to fund research. If you are a student, you are funding research that may be pointless, not your education. In addition to this many of the research and non research faculty appear to believe they are God's gift to earth and can get away with murder (just see all of the harassment and sexual harassment complaints on Google; I guarantee there are at least 50 times more that are not on Google- just walk into a formal complaints office and you'll see their HUGE staff cannot keep up with the number of complaints!); and most of them can get away with bad behavior because their supervisors who are supposed to protect students are great at smooth talking and convincing people they are on their side, when really they are preventing complaints from going beyond their office. Most of them seem to equate iowa with an Ivy league school (I am unsure as to why).

The grad students I experienced seemed crazed and competitive to be on top- who cares if everyone gets an A? They do! If someone is even 1 point higher than them its like the end of the world! Collaborative study? Most of them would rather not. Additionally, the school prefers if you are a two faced gossip queen- this will get you very far; so if you want to sell your soul, gossip about EVERYONE, hate everyone while pretending to be friends, attempt to crush your fellow students, and be an overall horrible human being, go here!

My friends (and myself) kept telling me one more year, one more semester... After 1 year of this place, trying to think of someone else who had it worse than me, I would think of people in the holocaust. Yes, that's how bad it is (unless you have the attributes discussed above). It's rather clear the university needs a major faculty overhaul (but to be honest they clearly have a public rep as blemished as a pubescent teenager prior to proactive- lets not forget the recent cases including the athletic academic advisor who sexually harassed students in the 1990s, was rehired in the 2000s, then fired a couple of years ago for again sexually harassing students (shocker); the alleged sexual harassment in the music department as well as polysci department; the professor who claimed to have gotten a dual PhD in medicine from Harvard, who really had no college education; the prof in the English department who claimed to have had a PhD and really didn't even have a day of college edu- that took the UNI 7 YEARS tof complaints from students that his teaching didnt seem right to even look into as he was .... (Really quality faculty).

The Department of Epidemiology at the University ofFeb 29 2008Public Health
The Department of Epidemiology at the University of Iowa is NOT the place you want to spend two or more years. The faculty is more interested in their own research than the education of students. Team-work among faculty is absent entirely - professors literally sit in their offices with the doors closed and are very unapproachable. You have to hunt people down to be on your committees. Professors who clearly do and say unethical things to students are never reprimanded. There is little to no funding available to students. Even if you gain an assistantship (which is very difficult) you will still have to pay tuition. Overall, a living nightmare, distant and condescending faculty, and poor academics.
My experience in the PhD program at hteFeb 19 2008School of Information
My experience in the PhD program at hte University of Iowa, dept of Management Sciences and School of Library and Information Sciences was a nightmare! I will write a book about it! It ruined my life and career! My "advisor" was completely incompetent, she harassed me, she blackmailed me with the student visa to do her research and to do a thesis for her...she lied about my academic situation, she finally made me look incompetent, she made up some items and an "experiment" that she invented that i did not complete! I have spent 6 years working day and nights, I was overworked, I have worked also to pay my tuition, I have found a job and wrote a thesis just by myself, locking myself in my house, and in the end, she made up some emials and an experiment that i was not finishing....she went to the dean and to the graduate coordinator in Management Sciences and to the Chair and she...lied about my academic situation. She said that I have a mental problem and I will never finish my thesis (after I wrote about 10 different thesis)...and warned me to find a job in Europe. she insulted me a several times, she said I am not good and I should do a masters in a different area....and actually I was the one explaining her.....and doing all the work...She lied a number of times....she is desperate to force someone to do her a thesis...i felt as she olmost kidnapped me....she was trying to force me to change my research interest and do a thesis in HER research sarea.....which was inexistant...I felt as she stole my identity.she was trying to isolate me from the other professors, and then was sending emials to everybody saying the opposite....that I have to collaborate with her as an advisor and all professors in my committee...

actually this is a technique she used a several times...saying the opposite...
She is a lier, a thief, I have no simphaty for thieves like her who pretend to be 'professors'. she is an impostor. She is lying all the time....without blinking...I was runnig experiments for example and writting a thesis and showing her, and she was telling everybody behind my back that I did not do anything...

I found that the U of I CollegeOct 06 2003PreLaw and Legal
I found that the U of I College of Law gave me plenty of challenge and taught me how to really study. It was a great preparation for work life ahead. You can go anywhere from the Univ. of Iowa College of Law, depending on how well you do and your motivation. Iowa City was a delightful place. It's not a big city, of course, but it has enough interest to be fun and yet doesn't wear you out with having to deal with it. I was able to focus on studies.
Research Topic(s): na
I am most familiar with the School ofDec 30 2000Journalism
I am most familiar with the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and the Communication Studies programs. Although the Communication Studies program has a positive national reputation, the department is, in fact, very troubled. The atmosphere is terrible for graduate students, faculty are unhelpful and mean, there is a good deal of fighting in the department, and the program is not nearly as good as it used to be. The School of Journalism and Mass Communication is a far better program for doctoral students, offering financial and scholarly support, critical courses, teaching opportunities, freedom in designing your program, and a positive atmosphere for academic growth and teaching development.
The University of Iowa