StudentsReview :: The University of Iowa - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Iowa

It okay. I thought

Mar 13 2014Finance
It okay. I thought it would be much harder than it was. I got a 3.96 my first semester after I came from community college. There are too many Chicago and Chinese kids.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
University Resource Use: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D

After being begged to come to this UNI

Feb 03 2014Unknown
After being begged to come to this UNI (yes, begged, as in letters every week for a year or 2 asking me to attend after i applied and was deciding where to go), i decided to give it a crack.. But you really need to be on some drug to actually be happy going here... My friends that had previously gone here before me are majorly into drinking... I'm now convinced they had FAC every day and drank so much they forgot how awful the quality of the school really is- horrid profs (at least 80% of them that I've encountered) who have superiority complexes and cannot actually teach to save their lives- you basically self teach from the books. One notable prof I had appeared to want students to think he was cool and one day in lecture (for no apparent reason, he just liked to talk about himself) discussed his son's criminal activity and how cool it was (saying that when IC was devastated by the tornadoes, his son broke into a liqueur store and stole a bunch of alcohol and never got caught)- as you can tell, impeccable morals.

I wish I had heeded the warnings of all of the litigation faced by the university. As I have leaned, you are just a paycheck here and they appear more concerned with covering up the alleged wrong doings of their male athletes than education.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Social Life: B+, Education Quality: F

Would not trade my UIowa experience for anything

Apr 07 2014Business - Management and Administration
Would not trade my UIowa experience for anything.
-Academics: Some Gen Eds are pointless, but that's pretty consistent with any college in America. Within my major, I always felt like the courses were exactly what I expected from a college class. Challenging enough, but not impossible. You definitely need to study and work hard to get a business degree here, but my professors/TAs were always willing to see me outside of class to help out with anything I was confused about.

-Opportunities- At Iowa, I held two internships on campus and completed a couple of independent honors projects. These experiences were huge in terms of getting a job post-graduation. So, despite being a large school, you can still get experiences that really help you succeed in the real world if you are willing to exert the time and effort to find and complete such extra curricular projects.

-Social life- Iowa is a top ten party school consistently. If you aren't into the party scene, you will probably not like going here. If you are into drinking, then Iowa will be the time of your life. Greek life is a good option for those interested, but its not the kind of school where people ask you what house your in or judge you for joining/not joining a particular sorority or frat. On another note, the people are nice and are not judgmental, so its also a great atmosphere for when your 18-22 and are trying to "find yourself". Lots of school spirit and sports are huge at Iowa, which is fun and relatively cheap. In addition to drinking, there are other great things about the area - shopping, restaurants, farmers market, music, plays, sports. There is a culture beyond the drinking scene for those who are interested.

4th Year Female -- Class 2009