StudentsReview :: Grand Valley State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
Western Michigan University -- Kalamazoo, MI

Grand Valley State University

Everyone goes home onComputer Science
Everyone goes home on the weekend. So if you live far a way your stuck. A lot of kids where money is not a problem. Mom and Dad pay their way. Very clicky
For the most part, I enjoyed Grand Valley.Quite BrightPreMed and Medical
For the most part, I enjoyed Grand Valley. Though I found myself disappointed with the Counseling center and a few of the other safety departments. They do not help off-campus students at all and I was shocked to hear about numerous complaints on how they handled sexual assault incidents. Again, if you live of-campus, the issue is not their problem. Weekly counseling is not available and scheduling an appointment can take weeks. They do offer group counseling though and the staff is very friendly. I simply think they have to small a staff for the growing number of students. On the plus side I as challenged as an undergrad and found class sizes to never exceed 140 students per lecture hall. If you can live downtown and you'll have more fun as a junior and senior. The doors open when you turn 21!
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: C
I hated this place, plain and simple.AverageNursing
I hated this place, plain and simple. I came in from out of state and it was such an awful decision. I left after one semester. This campus is SO beautiful I think partly what tricked me into coming here in the first place. But, it is a beautiful campus smack dab in the middle of NOWHERE. There was zero college town atmosphere which really sucked. Parties involved standing at the bus stop for an hour then busing to the apartments in the hopes of finding a party that hasn't been busted yet. There is literally nothing to do on the weekends but go to shitty parties ( if you can find one). Now I enjoy parties yes, but wish there were more options to do other fun things on the weekends. If you didn't have a car on campus forget it. I found myself going home at every weekend I could. I'm sure people will say well "you get out what you put in" but I tried very hard at staying social and doing things to meet people. I made about two good friends.. Everyone is so cliquey here it's disturbing. Not to mention the winter is AWFUL. If you're from Michigan and you're used to that then I guess it's okay.. But NOPE. I read so many negative reviews on here before I came hoping that they were wrong.. BIG MISTAKE. This place really isn't the worst place in the world I feel like I never truly fit in here though. I guess it depends on the person, I saw a lot of people who really enjoyed it here. It's really a hit or miss. I would love to help someone not make the same mistake I did by coming here and feeling the way I did until I left! I found myself very homesick so that might have contributed. I just wouldn't really recommend coming here from out of state. It was not at all what I was expecting. well.. some positives I guess ?! Well the dorms are really great I was lucky to get a really nice one, its going to be hard not to find a nice one by next year though. They're tearing down the oldest ones and putting in a new building. Food wise, food wasn't awful compared to what I've seen at other schools, it just gets a little repetitive. The library is really great, brand new giant gorgeous building. thats about it... But if you're having second thoughts about coming here, really take time making sure its the right decision to come. I made it on a whim and hoped for the best. Transferring absolutely blows and getting all your credits straight is just so annoying. Also, the main reason I really left was because I am a nursing major. They coax and coddle you saying "oh yes you have a shot at getting in!!" Until you realize its about 400 students all aiming to get one of the 80 SEATS in the nursing program. If you are not a direct admin to your program do NOT COME HERE. Their game is to admit a shit ton of people who all want the same program and then when the student realizes that they might not get in their sophomore year when they apply, they hope the student changes their major and stays at the University. I talked to so many people who gave up on being a nursing major because they couldn't get in. All they want to do is make money off of you. The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be. They basically want a 3.8 or 4.0 to get in, and you also have an interview to decide if you're in or not. It was simply not worth it to risk not getting into the program. And I was definitely not changing my major. So I left, applied at a smaller schools nursing program and now I'm in with no worries and I love the University I'm at. So good luck to anyone choosing schools it's a very hard decision to make!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
Grand Valley State University
Compare GVSUSave GVSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→