StudentsReview :: Grand Valley State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
Western Michigan University -- Kalamazoo, MI

Grand Valley State University

if you like not having a social life

Mar 06 2014Political Science
if you like not having a social life and meeting boring snobs, you'll love gv, there's nothing to do really out in allendale since it's in the middle of bum fucking nowhere, but gvsu has really great professors who are very well qualified and the education is great, so if you want to learn i'd consider coming here. but the people here are weird and painstakingly boring. the guys here are kind of weird as well
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F

Even though I'm a first year, don't listen

May 23 2014Other
Even though I'm a first year, don't listen to the other first years. I guarantee you they wrote these comments in a time where they weren't fully adjusted to living away from home. Many young adults have a crazy expectation of getting wasted and getting laid every night of college. Grand Valley lies within a very conservative area, aka the Bible Belt of michigan. It doesn't mean people who attend gvsu are diehard Christians, it just means the community is. For the people who rate the surrounding town as being an F...well they suck. Grand Valley is the best of both worlds. On one side, about a 25 minute drive, are the best beaches in the world. On the other side, is one of the best cities in michigan. But being first year students, most are unaware of the possibilities. They don't bring their cars so they can't go to the beach. Most aren't old enough to go to the bars downtown. Just wait it out. Grand Rapids has big events like laugh fest and art prize. There's two dollar ice skating in the center of downtown in the winter. There's museums, bars, restaurants, malls...the city is SO much better than east Lansing. Just to wrap this up, the classes are small, you get the attention you need. Free busing throughout ALL of Grand Rapids. There's a ton of clubs, Greek life (they're getting houses next year) and sports/intramurals. The only negatives id give gvsu is the shitty wifi, the fact that the school is far from being green, and the diversity is shitty as well since everyone just sticks to their race.
Extracurricular Activities: A+, University Resource Use: F

So I went to GV my freshman year

Mar 03 2014Undecided
So I went to GV my freshman year not knowing anyone and rooming blind in the dorms. So before I start ripping on the school I'll mention the things that I liked about it.First of all, as a freshman living on-campus, they do a pretty good job of getting you situated and well settled into the college environment during the first week. The academics werent that bad, they were challenging enough, but not so hard that you were always studying. Im a huge slacker/procrastinator, and I did better than I expected in school. The teachers were generally pretty nice and helpful. Also, the facilities were clean and the campus is pretty.

but, if your like me, academics and clean toilets aren't the only thing you want to get when you sign up for college.First of all, I would talk to a lot of the guys on my floor during the week, everyone would go home every weekend of the first semester. Im from the Detroit area and even if I did have a car, the 3 hour ride wasn't in the cards for me every week. There are some parties on the weekends, but they're pretty lame. It's a dry campus and there is one cop for like every five kids going there. The other thing about the parties is the girls. They use the 2:1 girl to guy ratio as a selling point, and there are some seriously hot ones, but theyre all act like theyre some kind of classy stripper (you can look but don't touch.) They all get dressed up really fine, but the hot ones rarely drink, and are usually taken. Bottom line, a normal average guy can get laid by some drunk band geek, but will be ashamed for weeks after. The dorms are really cliquey. After people formed their groups, "outsiders" can't go into the common area in the dorms without getting stared at.

Allendale is surrounded by like 40 miles of farmland on either side, and you can go into Grand Rapids if you want but if you are under 21 there's no point. If you live in the dorms don't expect to get away with any kind of substance abuse as the RAs are like prison wardens. Mine called the cops on me twice for weed and playing music too loud, and almost half of the guys on my floor got MIPs the second the stepped on campus after drinking.The food Sucks dick. I came home for thanksgiving and wieghed myself to find I'd lost 15 pounds. You go to Fresh and they brag about being all you can eat, but are never actually serving food. Theres a whole squad of workers there all day on break or talking to each other, and in a huge cafeteria there is like one edible thing. Any other of the cafeterias and you can get a sandwich and thats it. I usually had to use 2 meals on my meal plan to feel full. This was definately one of the worst parts of GV. I wouldnt recommend GV to anyone looking for a new and exciting experience in college, but if you want to do school work, not eat, sleep, and repeat, then this is the school for you.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016