StudentsReview :: Grand Valley State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
Western Michigan University -- Kalamazoo, MI

Grand Valley State University

I hated this place, plain and simple.AverageNursing
I hated this place, plain and simple. I came in from out of state and it was such an awful decision. I left after one semester. This campus is SO beautiful I think partly what tricked me into coming here in the first place. But, it is a beautiful campus smack dab in the middle of NOWHERE. There was zero college town atmosphere which really sucked. Parties involved standing at the bus stop for an hour then busing to the apartments in the hopes of finding a party that hasn't been busted yet. There is literally nothing to do on the weekends but go to shitty parties ( if you can find one). Now I enjoy parties yes, but wish there were more options to do other fun things on the weekends. If you didn't have a car on campus forget it. I found myself going home at every weekend I could. I'm sure people will say well "you get out what you put in" but I tried very hard at staying social and doing things to meet people. I made about two good friends.. Everyone is so cliquey here it's disturbing. Not to mention the winter is AWFUL. If you're from Michigan and you're used to that then I guess it's okay.. But NOPE. I read so many negative reviews on here before I came hoping that they were wrong.. BIG MISTAKE. This place really isn't the worst place in the world I feel like I never truly fit in here though. I guess it depends on the person, I saw a lot of people who really enjoyed it here. It's really a hit or miss. I would love to help someone not make the same mistake I did by coming here and feeling the way I did until I left! I found myself very homesick so that might have contributed. I just wouldn't really recommend coming here from out of state. It was not at all what I was expecting. well.. some positives I guess ?! Well the dorms are really great I was lucky to get a really nice one, its going to be hard not to find a nice one by next year though. They're tearing down the oldest ones and putting in a new building. Food wise, food wasn't awful compared to what I've seen at other schools, it just gets a little repetitive. The library is really great, brand new giant gorgeous building. thats about it... But if you're having second thoughts about coming here, really take time making sure its the right decision to come. I made it on a whim and hoped for the best. Transferring absolutely blows and getting all your credits straight is just so annoying. Also, the main reason I really left was because I am a nursing major. They coax and coddle you saying "oh yes you have a shot at getting in!!" Until you realize its about 400 students all aiming to get one of the 80 SEATS in the nursing program. If you are not a direct admin to your program do NOT COME HERE. Their game is to admit a shit ton of people who all want the same program and then when the student realizes that they might not get in their sophomore year when they apply, they hope the student changes their major and stays at the University. I talked to so many people who gave up on being a nursing major because they couldn't get in. All they want to do is make money off of you. The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be. They basically want a 3.8 or 4.0 to get in, and you also have an interview to decide if you're in or not. It was simply not worth it to risk not getting into the program. And I was definitely not changing my major. So I left, applied at a smaller schools nursing program and now I'm in with no worries and I love the University I'm at. So good luck to anyone choosing schools it's a very hard decision to make!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
Even though I'm a first year, don't listenBrightOther
Even though I'm a first year, don't listen to the other first years. I guarantee you they wrote these comments in a time where they weren't fully adjusted to living away from home. Many young adults have a crazy expectation of getting wasted and getting laid every night of college. Grand Valley lies within a very conservative area, aka the Bible Belt of michigan. It doesn't mean people who attend gvsu are diehard Christians, it just means the community is. For the people who rate the surrounding town as being an F...well they suck. Grand Valley is the best of both worlds. On one side, about a 25 minute drive, are the best beaches in the world. On the other side, is one of the best cities in michigan. But being first year students, most are unaware of the possibilities. They don't bring their cars so they can't go to the beach. Most aren't old enough to go to the bars downtown. Just wait it out. Grand Rapids has big events like laugh fest and art prize. There's two dollar ice skating in the center of downtown in the winter. There's museums, bars, restaurants, malls...the city is SO much better than east Lansing. Just to wrap this up, the classes are small, you get the attention you need. Free busing throughout ALL of Grand Rapids. There's a ton of clubs, Greek life (they're getting houses next year) and sports/intramurals. The only negatives id give gvsu is the shitty wifi, the fact that the school is far from being green, and the diversity is shitty as well since everyone just sticks to their race.
Extracurricular Activities: A+, University Resource Use: F
if you like not having a social lifeQuite BrightPolitical Science
if you like not having a social life and meeting boring snobs, you'll love gv, there's nothing to do really out in allendale since it's in the middle of bum fucking nowhere, but gvsu has really great professors who are very well qualified and the education is great, so if you want to learn i'd consider coming here. but the people here are weird and painstakingly boring. the guys here are kind of weird as well
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F