StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

I just finished my second semester at IonaBrightUndecided
I just finished my second semester at Iona College, and I'm transferring out. Iona didn't live up to any of my expectations. Iona is poorly managed, and Top Management doesn't have a clue what is going on internally in many departments - and they don't care. The Tutoring Center is a complete mess - no-one cares at the center. I've gone there on numerous occasions, and there isn't a Receptionist to help you find a tutor. The place is dark, and it definitely isn't an academic learning center or environment. Some of my courses were overcrowded, when we were promised small class sizes. Adjuncts teach many classes - and they teach and leave - so are not involved in any campus life. The social life is none at Iona.

There is a Christian Brother in the Retention office that is cold, clueless, and aloof. He's very fake and just isn't helpful. When you meet with him, you feel like you are upsetting his schedule.

Iona is managed like a poorly run fast food restaurant.
I made a bad mistake enrolling at Iona College, paying
$50,000 to reside here, now I have a big loan to pay back. Iona lacks advisement services, student life, tutoring help - all around, you are paying for nothing.

I should have enrolled at my local community college. I would have saved so much money, and the educational and social life would have been much more superior.

Iona's Campus Ministers are nice students - and do a lot of good work - in the community, and I met nice friends.For a Business school - it's just run with no direction or plan, and no-one seems to care much about the students or student success at Iona. Iona also lacks new and innovative equipment. In the Tutoring Center, computers are broken, and left that way, and in the center, the keyboards are left filthy dirty - and so are the monitors. Iona is not the college to go to to get a quality college life or social life.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
I agree about Career Services at Iona.Not so brightPsychology
I agree about Career Services at Iona. The staff is nice, but the Career office at Iona is just not helpful. They tell you to sign up for Monster, approve resumes that have typos and grammar errors, and resumes that are not marketable.

For personal reasons, I had to remain at Iona, but I paid too much money for nothing.
The tutoring facility is poorly supervised and managed. Adjunct teachers are not around to help you. The social life at Iona isn't good. Classes are over-crowded - so Iona can make more money on each class.

Staff are overworked and under appreciated. I felt like I was annoying some staff members when I had questions.

Like other posters mentioned, Iona wants money, and Iona cuts-back on student support services to build new dorms.

Iona doesn't care about Alums, only Alums that give-back BIG donations.
Iona markets itself as a small school that cares. Iona should write -We are an overcrowded school, with understaffed departments, that cares about taking students' MONEY.

Now as an Alum, I am experiencing the real world, and Iona doesn't help prepare you for it. Iona just puts you in large student debt when you graduate.

Iona is all about taking your money. It should be a for-profit school because they are for money, not students and Alums.

Google and read college rankings-graduation rates, retention rates and compare with other colleges.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F
I wish I attended a different college.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I wish I attended a different college. Iona's Career Development Department is so under-staffed. They approve resumes that are so poorly put together to be posted on job sites. Iona's job fairs are a joke. Many companies just want commission employees. There were very few if any Fortune 500 companies at the fair. Most Fortune 500 companies don't schedule recruitment days at Iona. Iona's rankings are so low-google them. Iona just wants your MONEY as a student and starts asking you for more when you graduate. Iona cares only about MONEY not their students. You will be stuck paying back big student loans, with a low-paying job, and Iona asks you for more and more donations. Iona could careless if graduates get jobs- they just want to get your money.

Before you consider Iona, ask for copies of reports about job hiring rates. Ask for the list of corporations that attend job fairs, what jobs they are hiring for, how many students they hired, salary ranges, and go back 5 years. Ask for results.

Iona will tell you everyrhibg when you are touring. The campus is nice, but why pay $50,000 to attend a nice campus-you need a good job. I stayed only because I had a part-time job, and I needed to be close to home. There are some good Professors, but I would rank Iona a 3 out of 10. Attending Iona wasn't worth going into debt. Now I'm stiluck paying back studnt loans. Iona doesn't care. Iona forgets about you when you pay your last fee, except for donation letters.

Don't tour Iona without fetting facts and reports, ir you will be stuck with limited job opportunities and BIG loans.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F