StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

As an Alum, I also viewed Money Magazine'sQuite Bright
As an Alum, I also viewed Money Magazine's ranking of Iona College, and I'm disappointed with Iona's Board of Trustee Members and Iona College's Alumni Board Members.

If Manhattan College's Men's Basketball team beats Iona's Men's team, Board Members, Alum, and students are disappointed and some times irate. I don't get why Iona's total community isn't upset and so disappointed by Iona's ranking of 284, while Manhattan College's ranking is 41, in Money Magazine.I agree with other board comments. What is Iona's current administration implementing to increase Iona's ranking? I am disheartened as an Alum, and until I see a vast improvement in the ranking and all over comments, I won't recommend Iona College to any high school students. I also won't be contributing money to any of Iona's fund-raising drives.

Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D+
Thank you for posting the information regarding IonaBrightCommunications
Thank you for posting the information regarding Iona College's ranking in Money Magazine. I purchased the magazine and went on-line to review the value schools.

As an alum of Iona, I am ashamed with this ranking. What is the current administration doing to increase and move-up Iona's ranking? I looked at employment openings at Iona, and the turnover is way too high. Being in HR positions, I know you can't run an effective business with high turnover, and it looks like so many staff and administrators are leaving Iona College, and it also looks like there is a turnover in newly hired high-level positions. What is wrong with the new Administration?

I have a son and a daughter. My daughter will be transferring from community college in December, and my son is a Freshman. With Iona's very low rankings, compared to other New York area schools and MAAC schools, I advised my children and their friends not to apply to Iona College. I also will not be contributing to Iona's annual fund-raising campaign until I see a vast improvement in Iona's ranking and a much lower turnover of staff and administrators.

As an alum, Iona needs some major internal changes, and an Administration that knows how to run a business. So thank you to the posters, for mentioning the money magazine college rankings. With Iona's proximity to Metro areas, it should be so much higher in the rankings. What is this administration implementing to fix this? I thought a major strategic plan was in place, but it seems like Iona is sinking in every area, especially student support services.

How can a college operate with so many open positions, especially in student service positions? I guess that is why Iona ranks so low. I sure hope Iona's board members read Money magazine's article and start taking a closer look at the on-campus situation before Iona falls lower in the rankings.

As an alum, I was embarrassed to tell my two children not to apply to Iona because it wasn't worth the high cost and the value returned is way too low.

Preparedness: D Reputation: D
I wouldn't recommend Iona College to high schoolQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I wouldn't recommend Iona College to high school students. I attended Iona College due to Iona's proximity to metro cities, including NY City, White Plains, Stamford, etc. I was so disappointed with Iona College's job fairs.

Iona College has limited corporate partnerships, and very limited Fortune 500 companies attending Iona's job fairs. All-around, Iona didn't live up to my expectations. Iona College promises students the world and DOES NOT deliver on their promises.

Iona approves resumes with typos and grammar errors, and career planning at Iona is close to zero. You are on your own at Iona, but when you graduate, you will receive on-going mail from Iona, asking you for money to donate to their fund-raising campaigns

To answer the questions asked, attending Iona College hasn't helped me get a job, and now I'm left paying off big loans, and it wasn't due to a bad economy, it is due to Iona College's lack of caring and preparation of their students - that's why they rank 284 in Money Magazine. If Iona has a 63 percent graduation rate, that should tell you something - Iona is failing its students, alums, and parents.

What should I have done? I should have gone to Manhattan College, or a college with a high ranking, that offers a very high return on investment. The majority, if not all, of the MAAC colleges rank so much higher on the list for return on value. My advice is attend the college with the best scores for return on value.

I recommend high school students to attend their local community colleges, complete core courses, that WILL TRANSFER to a four-year college, that offers VALUE for your money, NOT IONA COLLEGE. High school students should ensure the courses they enroll in, at community colleges, will transfer to the four year college of their choice.

Iona needs a total change in regime. Iona needs to appoint administrators that have business and sales background to compete in higher education's competitive environment. A college is a business, and as a graduate of Iona College, Iona, is a sinking college heading towards lower value scores.

Iona implements short-term solutions and fixes, for internal problems, but the long-term results will be lower standard and lower student satisfaction service. Iona needs a change in management to compete with the other MAAC college and local universities.

My recommendation to high school students is don't go to Iona College until Iona is ranked as high as Manhattan College of other local NY colleges.Good luck to all high school students, but I wish I didn't attend Iona College - it wasn't worth the high costs, and now I am stuck paying off big loans, and Iona was very unsupportive in my job search.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Compare IonaSave Iona

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→