StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

I want to transfer asap

Nov 20 2014Other
I want to transfer asap. THE PROOF IS DEFINITELY NOT IN THE HIGHER ADMINISTRATION. I totally agree with the rater that wrote, "You can't judge a book/Iona by the cover." The President doesn't take time to know his staff or the students.

I walked through McSpedon Hall - all new - and beautiful, but so cold and unwelcoming - all the door are closed. You have to open doors to find the steps and find people. If Iona was a corporation and on the stock exchange, I wouldn't buy it. I'm an undecided major, and I went to see the Mock Trading floor - Where were the all students?? It is so amazing, but the high-up Administrators, in McSpedon, have such a lack of interest in the students, they just don't care. I realized, most don't care, because most of them didn't graduate from Iona - there is minimal loyalty to Iona, the students, alums, staff .... only loyal to their big money and salaries, and to grown their resumes.

I walked through McSpedon - and all the doors on the main floor are closed. I'm a student - Iona's Customer - open the doors and welcome us - we are paying your big salaries. In the Summer and Winter, the President, allows Security staff to stand out in the rain, snow, ice, heat, etc, with no booth. What caring establishment would treat their staff members like that??

I can't wait to leave Iona. My older family members and their friends, always told me at Iona, The Proof Is In The People. I don't see it - on the Administrative level. When is comes to staff. I met so many helpful staff, during my Freshman year, but they are gone now. Iona didn't pay them enough to live in Westchester, and Iona didn't appreciate them.

Think not twice, but a billion times before you enroll at Iona College. I don't think it's worth spending your hard earned money to come here.

Career Fairs - they don't pay the Career Counelors enough money. Ask what companies are attending the fairs, ask what companies hired Iona Graduates???? Ask if GE, Merck, Johnson and Johnson, Kraft, and on and on, attend our career fairs, and ask how many of the graduate get hired - in jobs, other than sales jobs.

I'm disheartened at the ADMINISTRATORS AT IONA - PRESIDENT'S LEVEL. The Staff, Help Desk, Administrative Assistants, and Iona students are very nice, but the higher ups shut their doors to the kids and parents, and don't practice what they preach.

Don't go to a Set-up Open House, drive to campus any day, Iona is in session and classes are on, and ask the students how they feel.

I'm dismayed that the President is using the Logo - Move the World, when all the doors, on his floor, are shut with no windows. What a disgrace. Iona is moving backwards, that's the only way Iona is moving. Research, do your homework, ask questions, get details, and answers, and get the statistical reports - to make your decision.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: F

The school really disappointed me

Nov 08 2014Biology
The school really disappointed me. I feel like the more a tour guide lied, the more they got paid or something. I have still yet to find the Quiznos around here. I live off of pizza every day and some days I go without eating. I know some of you high school students are on this site and I am saying this from the bottom of my heart... PLEASE PLEASE RECONSIDER. I made a huge mistake. it's a Saturday night and I'm sitting in my bed. I have never been to a college party. I feel uncomfortable with the girls here because they are not very approachable. It's so bad. I'm giving it another semester upon my parents request and then I'm out of here. I'm so excited to finish this year.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover

Nov 18 2014Undecided
You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover. Iona's campus is beautiful, and the Facilities Department does an exceptional job maintaining it.

However, you don't go to college to look at gardens and flowers. Instead of going on a scheduled tour, my advise is to visit the campus on any given day - talk to the current students and ask them a lot of questions. Stop by the cafeterias and talk to the students.

-Iona is hiring a lot of Adjunct Professors. An Adjunct teaches his/her class and leaves. Adjuncts are not really interested or available to help the students. They don't get paid enough, and they have to leave campus to go teach a class at another college. You are paying too much money not to have full-time professors available to help you with your coursework.

Please look at the annual salaries of Iona's President, Basketball Coach, and compare that to most of the Professor's salaries, Adjunct Salaries, etc, and you will learn Iona's mission is about money, not the student's success.

-When you enter as a Freshman, there are very few Advisors to help you choose your majors. You are pretty much left on your own, but Iona keeps taking your money. The Advisors don't really assist you develop plans for success. It's honestly a joke.

-There is also a very high employee turnover rate at Iona - because the salaries are so low for Westchester County.

-Some of the core classes are overcrowded so Iona can save money hiring faculty.
-The President and his top Administrators don't have a clue about what is going on throughout the campus. They are only concerned with their big salaries and not the students. It's very sad.

-There is very little support in Career Services and most resumes appear to be mass produced - due to lack of money flowing into that department to help students with job search/job planning skills. It's just the same old resumes, no innovation, no creativity, no money - the money goes to the higher ups - way too much, in my opinion, and a lot of other opinions for the job they are doing. The President doesn't even take time to visit departments to ensure they are up and running correctly. While at Iona, I have experienced a lack of interest on the part of so many staff members - they just brush you off, or pass the job to someone else. It's definitely not run like an up and coming corporation.

-Outside is updated, and the walls might be knew, but the rest lags behind industry standards, and that's so important to keep up with the 21st Century.

-Compare Iona's President's Salary to an Iona Career Counselor's salary, and you will be able to determine where Iona's mission and value is placed. It sure isn't helping students with jobs skills and strategic planning or helping students find jobs. Iona needs to hire more Career support staff and pay them decent salaries.

-The top Administrators make all the money and get all the perks at Iona, and it's so unfair - to the students. The employee morale is very low when you go and ask for help - staff are not always helpful, not always knowledgeable, are over worked, and not happy to be working at Iona and don't care.

It's not always fun being a student at Iona. I can't wait to leave and go to a college that genuinely cares about the students and implements what they preach.

-Before you decide to attend Iona College, don't just listen to the tour guides, go and ask questions - have them prepared, ask for statistical data on jobs,

ask what corporations attend Iona's job fairs. How many Fortune 500 companies attend, how many students get jobs? Don't just listen to student guides, they are advised to sell, - please do your homework, and don't judge Iona by the cover. You work too hard for your money, and you deserve value, and Iona doesn't give you value for your money.

They charge for everything -fees are added, expensive cafeteria food and meal plans, and expensive dorms, -just so that Iona can profit and the top Administrators can get large salaries.Please do extensive research and homework before you choose Iona College. Iona needs students to meet their enrollment numbers - so the President and top Administrators, can keep their salaries and perks. They stay behind closed doors in their beautiful offices, in McSpedon Hall - notice all new and expensive, but they don't put more money into student support services. Make sure you ask for details, and reports, and numbers, and don't just judge Iona by it's beautiful cover.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017