StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

As an Alum of Iona College, and currentlyQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
As an Alum of Iona College, and currently looking at colleges for my child, I was very upset to learn about Iona College's very low rankings in most every area.

Manhattan College, Fairfield Univeristy, Marist,and most if not all of the colleges, that compete in the MAAC, rank so much higher. Honestly, most regional colleges are ranked so much higher. What is happening at Iona? Why is the Board Members, President, and Alums not taking Iona's very low rankings serious?

I stopped by campus recently to see for myself. The campus has nice new buildings and a beautiful library, and gym, but that's not enough. As an Alum, I can say, Iona lacked the small-campus community feel, like it had when I attended. I stopped by the tutoring center, and it was empty, and no-one was available to greet me. I didn't see any active learning or training taking place, and that was in the early afternoon. Iona just wasn't the Iona I knew. Staff didn't know other staff members. Staff members or students couldn't tell me where to find answers to basic questions. It was a very sad day for me.

After doing comparative "Shopping", I had to advise my child not to apply to Iona. When I learned that Iona takes in over 93% of applicants, I knew the President and his Administrators don't care about a quality education - they care about filling classrooms, money, and meeting numbers. How wrong and how very sad to focus on quantity - and not providing a quality education - when parents are paying thousands and thousands of dollars.

As an alum, based on what I witnessed during my recent campus visit and my vast current research on colleges, IONA is not a college I want my child to attend, or even apply to. As a parent and Alum, I sure wouldn't want to mortgage my house, take out loans, or be in debt - to attend Iona the way it is currently operating.

It is very sad for me to have to write this, but the other posters on this board are correct. Building new dorms, is just brick; Iona needs to focus on building student's minds.

Thanks for all the honest postings on this board. I didn't want to believe it - so I did my research and my own homework and found out you were all right. Iona didn't even beat Manhattan College in the MAAC last year. Iona is being beat all around, in Academics, Sports, - but mostly in offering a community of learning - that Iona had when I attended.

Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D
I was anxiously awaiting starting my college lifeQuite BrightUndecided
I was anxiously awaiting starting my college life and career. I am not satisfied with Iona. The tuition and fees are very high, and it's just like a high school.

Iona accepts 93 percent or more of their applicants - so it's a very uncompetitive academic environment and community.

Iona cares about student numbers not student success. Core classes are over-crowded, not small learning communities. The Tutoring Center is not effective or efficiently managed, and not too many peopke at Iona really care about the students. At Iona, they just want your money. Iona is just not a competitive academic environment or community, and I am just not getting value for my money at Iona College.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Friendliness: B, Education Quality: F
I am a first semester Freshmen at IonaBrightUndecided
I am a first semester Freshmen at Iona College, and I am very unhappy with my choice. I went to the Academic Resource Center for assistance with coursework, and I received very little assistance and support. The Center is just not run or managed professionally.

I was very disappointed with The Rudin Centers help, and all around, I'm just not happy with Iona academically.

It is costing my parents so much money to send me to Iona, and Iona's student support services are not worth the price - sad but true.I want to transfer out of Iona for the Spring Semester, and enroll at a college that is well-managed and worth the cost.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: B, Faculty Accessibility: F
Compare IonaSave Iona

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→