StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

I started my second year at Iona College,Quite BrightCommunications
I started my second year at Iona College, and I'm alarmed with the very low ranking Iona received - (80 out of 100); that's so bad and so low.

I also don't want to pay Iona's high tution rate and fees to for the next few years, when Iona's ranking is this low.

If I'm paying close to $50,000 per year, I want quality and a high ranking - like the other posters also wrote about in their comments.

I'm not that happy at Iona, but this ranking - made me decide to transfer to a college that is ranked in the Top 25 or 50 in New York, especially if I'm majoring in Communications. TV and Radio Broadcast Networks, I'm sure won't be attending Iona's job fairs, when they learn about Iona's low ranking of 80.

As it is, it is so competitive to enter into the broadcasting/journalism fields, and I want to have every edge to make me a Top Candidate for a job - and graduating from a low-ranked college - like Iona, will definitely impede my chances.

Iona's campus is nice, but so are most other campuses.
Like others mentioned, Iona needs to clean house from the Top on Down. If the President allowed Iona's rankings to fall so low, Iona needs a change, and I hope the Board members do something before Iona is ranked 100 out of 100.I'm leaving in the Spring - I want value for my money - and right now, I'm not receiving value at Iona.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
I consider myself to be bright - maybeQuite Bright
I consider myself to be bright - maybe hard-working. I study hard because I want to attain good grades. I thought I made a wise choice choosing Iona College - to gain my Bachelor's Degree. I loved where Iona College is located - the main reason I decided to attend. I guess that wasn't a BRIGHT way to choose a college.

Anyway, I'm at Iona now, and I'm miserable - just not happy with Iona's Academic Support. Some of my classes are so crowded - students joke around and are so disrespectful to the Professors. Professors have to tell students to put their phones away - it's a joke. Very sad, but true.

The Tutoring Center, is ineffective- many times I went in, and there were no tutors to help me, and other times, Peer Tutors were assisting me with Math, and they didn't know how to teach me. They get paid minimum wage. I'm paying thousands for my courses - I want a Professional Tutor or my Teacher. Iona doesn't hire many full-time professors - so my teachers are not always around when you need help.

I don't want to be helped by a Peer Tutor making minium wage when I'm paying $50,000 to attend Iona. Some Peer Tutors are good, but that's not the point. I want to have access to my Professors - they teach the course, they developed the curriculum.

The Social life is lacking, and the advisment is very poor. If you want to work a few hours - near campus, there are not many places to find jobs.

Iona is just not a motivational learning experience. It seems like Iona is trying to cut-back at every corner - cheap way out - and I'm paying too much, like all students, not to expect quality, and full-time staff.

I've gone to offices - the staff is so limited due to the high-employee turnover, and Iona is replacing workers with part-time staff.

I don't think the President or Top Management have a clue what is going on or care - they keep getting paid. If they did know how to Manage and run a college, why is it falling apart?

There is limited parking for students - and you are paying. My friends drive around and around to find parking - sometimes making them late for class, and if they park in a wrong parking space - to get to class on-time, Iona's Security - is driving around to give tickets -I think parking should be accessible. If you pay to bring your car to campus - high tuition, you should receive VIP parking like the President - and his staff - you are paying his salary.

Students shouldn't get tickets if there is no parking spaces left - and have to park to get to class - that's the college's problem. Students are paying enough fees.

All around, Iona is just not run like a first-class business, so I don't want to get my BBA from Iona.

Manhattan College and Marist are doing something right - they made the top 50 Colleges in NY - affordable colleges.

I want an exceptional college experience since I'm paying
fees and tuition rates that are a rip-off - in my honest opinion.
Limited parking, part-time staff, Adjunct Professors - paying high fees to get helped by other college tutors receiving minimum wage - it's just not a conducive to quality.

There is no Social Life at Iona. The Community Service Iona does is very good, and you can eat at Restaurants - outside of campus - that's nice, but Iona takes a percentage - all around, Iona wants your money.

Iona wants Big Money for Small services - and no quality - sad but true.
I do have to say some of my Professors are good, but shouldn't they be, when I'm paying $50,000 - isn't that a given?I'm not asking for much - but, classes that are not-professional, students acting out in class, tutors that are not experienced, and on and on - Iona is just not worth the money, and I'm not going into student debt to attend Iona -because Iona's support services are inadequate.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
I am assisting a relative, who is currentlyBusiness - Management and Administration
I am assisting a relative, who is currently a Senior in HS, with her college search. I was curious to review the comments regarding Iona College since I graduated, from Iona, in 2014.

I wasn't surprised to read so many Negative comments about Iona. I witnessed many under-handed practices when I was at Iona College. The new President, was expected to change things with his Strategice Plan - what a joke that turned out to be.

While at Iona, I witnessed a staff member getting a pedicure in the office - while students were around. I witnessed staff, doing absolutely nothing, all day - but getting paid - from student's tuition money, I witnessed elderly disabled staff members walking up and down stairs - because there offices were housed in buildings without elevators, and on and on.

Iona College outright lies to you about helping you with your job search. - They could carelesa about helping you.

Iona cares about MONEY - taking your MONEY.
Example, if you sign up to live-on-campus, and decide to leave after the first semester, you MUST pay for the dorm for the second semester, even you leave, and IONA rents your room - DOUBLE DIPPINNG AND STEALING WHERE I COME FROM.

Iona doesn't care about allowing students to use their meal plans at restaurants off-campus to make it nice for students, Iona takes kick-packs from the local restaurants everytime a student swipes his/her card.

The President and his staff at Iona College only care about making themselves look good to board members. Iona takes in 93 percent of students, but doesn't have the space to accomodate them.

Iona cares about your MONEY and Men's basketball. Don't get me wrong, there are nice people - nice staff working at Iona, that are sooooo underpaid - but are so nice. I had to stay at Iona - due to family reasons - I had to stay local - and I lived within walking distance to Iona.

Iona, years ago, in the 80s and early 90s, cared and lived the Mission of the Christian Brothers, but now, it's just a money-hungary school. So sad, but true.

Iona pays money for adverstisements, and Open Houses - all set-up, but take a few test-drives, go there, off-the-cuff, and walk around, inside offices, and you will witness the total lack of motivation at Iona.

Attend one of Iona's job fairs - you won't see any Big Fortune 50, 100, 500 corporations hiring students from Iona. Iona has VERY LIMITED partnerships with big corporations, hospitals, and on and on.

Iona's campus is beautiful in the Fall-very nice, but while I was there, the new President hasn't made any positive changes - other than redoing his big office - putting new doors in MsSpedon - while the computers in the student's lab remain broken, dirty, printers down, and students pay fees for paper and ink.

If you are going to spend money, go to the best - spend it at a college that cares, that is up-and-coming, not going backward. I just read their new Logo, "Move The World" - How is Iona moving the World? Iona spent a fortune, hiring an advertisement agency - to create a new logo, and new image, while Iona's departments are falling to pieces on the inside. How can Iona "Move the World", when like other posters wrote, "Iona didn't make the best 50 colleges in New YOrk list, how can Iona Move the World, when Iona didn't make the affordability list, how can Iona Move the World, when they have a low graduation rate and retention rate, and are concerned about NUMBERS, MONEY, QUANTITY, and Not QUALITY and CARING?

An Open House is set-up to look good. If you do attend, ask for statistical data, graduation reports, reports that show how many students were hired at Fortune 50 companies - total numbers, what salaries they were offered. Don't just hear about the one or two lucky kids, ask for detailed reports - on everything.

Ask how many kids drop-out, ask for a break-down of the fees, ask how many tutors are available, and how much they get paid, ask what percentage are Adjuncts, ask for the number of kids in core courses.

Don't give a dime to Iona until you get the answers. Compare the President's Salary, his President's Committee, the Men's Basketball Coach - with the Professors' salaries - you will see a BIGGGGGG difference. The President and his Committee members make 6 figures, while the Professors - most anyway - are underpaid and overworked.Iona didn't help me get a job - I was on my own. I only get letters from Iona asking for donations to their annual funds. What a disgrace. I'm ashamed to put Iona's name on my resume.

Compare IonaSave Iona