StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

I agree with the posters regarding - Iona'sQuite BrightOther
I agree with the posters regarding - Iona's job fairs. There are very limited Fortune 500 companies in attendance, and very few companies recruit students from Iona College. You always have your select few students that get hired, but the rest on the graduates are pretty much on their own. Also, the internship opportunities are also limited.

The academic support center is lacking in organization - and many times you can't find assistance with upper level courses. Iona to me also wasn't worth the money.

I could have taken classes from home obtained a business certification at a community college, and look for a position at a corporation that will pay for my higher education/college - or enroll in-courses that will enable me to climb the ladder at the corporation - based on their needs.

Iona is so behind the 8-ball. For a college, so close to New York City and other Metro-areas - they are so backwards in creating corporate partnerships.

The Administration at Iona - is to busy buying real estate - that they are not focusing on the students academic services.

Like other posters mentioned - ask questions, request reports and numbers. You will always hear about the successful alums, find out about he ones that are left with menial jobs and employment -paying back big loans. When you are on a tour, ask to meet with the President and his administrators, and ask to see reports - ask to see the list of corporations/companies that attended the last job/internship fairs, and for a breakdown of how many students were hired, and also ask to see the corporate recruitment schedule for all major concentrations. I didn't receive value for my money from Iona, plus the staff, to me, don't seem happy working at Iona College - that also told me something.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F
I am an Alum of Iona College, andQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am an Alum of Iona College, and I just want to give some advice to high school students who are considering applying.

First, make sure you ask the Career Development office for breakdown reports of the companies that attend their annual job fair, and also statistical information for the number of students that obtain employment -full-time/part-time, and internships.

I am a recent Alum, and Iona didn't prepare me for the world-of-work. Iona didn't assist me to gain 21st Century skills.

I took out loans to attend Iona College, and now I'm required to pay them back. Iona promises you the moon, when you are touring, and will tell you anything to sign up and attend, but once they get you in, the support services are lacking, and the Top Administrators don't care. As long as they meet their enrollment numbers, the Administrators continue to make their Big salaries. Nothing has changed under this new administration -there was a strategic plan - but while I was there, Iona was accepting 93 percent or more of applicants, greatly lowering the standards.

New buildings, computers, and facilities, mean nothing, if the school is lowly ranked, and if major Fortune 500 companies don't attend our job fairs, or hire Iona students.

Also, Iona offers mediocre programs in healthcare, cyber security, and programs and majors that are in high hiring demand.

My fellow alums and current students are also expressing the same sentiments and feedback about Iona College. Iona is just not worth the money. As a student, you come out unprepared for today's world-of-work.

Building new Halls and dorms, doesn't enhance student hiring. The campus will look new and upcoming, but Iona's support services are lacking, and no-one at Iona cares. Employee morale is low, and employee turnover is high - two very big red flags for success.My advise is to do your homework, ask questions, and ask for statistics for all majors, and your major of interest.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F
I am currently enrolled at Iona College, butCommunications
I am currently enrolled at Iona College, but I plan on transferring at the end of this semester. Iona is just not worth the money. Iona's job fairs are not well attended by Fortune 500 companies, and the career support services are very minimal. The Academic Tutoring Department is so poorly managed; they severely lack student/customer service skills. Honestly, I found some staff to be very indifferent to the needs of students needing assistance - and our tuition pays their salaries.

I'm just not happy at Iona - when you go on the tour, they promise you the world, but since I've been here the picture and actual environment, culture and community, did not live up to my expectations. There is very limited campus life for students.

I'm leaving to save my parents a lot of money. I can take the classes I'm enrolled in on-line, or at a community college, and save a ton of money. I came to Iona to be introduced to a college life and the college experience, and Iona is just another high-school. Spend a few days and nights there before you choose Iona. All around, I would give it a 2/10 score - some of the food is good.

Compare IonaSave Iona