StudentsReview :: Iona College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Iona College

I am currently a student at Iona.Average
I am currently a student at Iona. Before enrolling I toured Iona's campus, attended the Open House, and I was impressed.

Now I'm at Iona as a student, and I'm dismayed. Iona didn't live up to my expectations. Iona's tutoring services are minimal, advisement is so unorganized and unprofessional. You are assigned Advisors that don't have experience in your chosen field. So many of my Professors are Adjunts - leave campus after class -and can't be found for help. I don't blame them - they don't get paid to stay around and help you.

The social life is none at Iona. New Rochelle is a boring city, and if you want to work part-time, the only real place for jobs is the Mall in New Rochelle, and the area around the mall is very iffy.

I guess the best way I can desribe Iona is: "Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover". The campus is pretty, especially, in the Fall, but you don't go to college to look at leaves, you go to College - for a College Experience, and it's lacking.

Iona is cold, not that friendly - due to I think so many part-time workers, due to so many open jobs - due to staff being unhappy and over-worked.

Students in my courses are playing video games, texting, -like high school all over again. Teachers have to interrupt their classes -to tell students to turn their phones off. This is not the college environment I was looking for. Iona is like a high school, they accept, around 90 % plus of all applicants - so it's not competitive.

My parents are spending so much money on Iona's high tuition and high fee rates, I want my courses to be professional and educational - not like high school all over again. I want to be in courses where students are serious to learn and expand their knoweledge - and at Iona that's not the case. Iona is lacking in quality and afforadability - and when you sit-in on classes you gain first-hand knowledge.

I'm leaving Iona after this Semester. I can't spend close to $200,000, to stay at a college that is just going backwards.

I based my choice of Iona - on the Open House and Tour, and thought the campus was nice and people were friendly - they have to be - that's their job - to get you to choose Iona. Before I chose my next college, I did so much homework and research. I looked at graduation rates, retention rates, career development, advisement, what corporations attend the college's job fairs, how many students get hired at each corporation, what corporations and organizations attend the college - for each major, internship partners; I did an entire review. My parents work hard to help me, and I want to be in the best place to repay them - and like stated in other comments, Iona doesn't cut it. Iona cares about taking your money, and doing things cheaply - so they don't have to pay their staff benefits.

I have good Professors, but they are gone because they are Adjuncts - so they are not around much if you have questions. If I'm paying $3,000 plus for each course, I want Professors to tutor me, not a peer-tutor getting paid minimum wage - like at Iona.I'm happy I woke up - and realized Iona isn't giving me value - for my parents money, and if you read and just google Iona, take a few minutes, you can read Iona didn't make the Top 50 in New York or affordable colleges - that was enough for me. If you don't go to a ranked school, that corporations want to hire from, you will be in student-loan debt - making minimum wage. Unless Iona kicks it up 100 notches - and stops taking care of the Top Administrators, students will continue to leave.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
I am assisting a relative, who is currentlyBusiness - Management and Administration
I am assisting a relative, who is currently a Senior in HS, with her college search. I was curious to review the comments regarding Iona College since I graduated, from Iona, in 2014.

I wasn't surprised to read so many Negative comments about Iona. I witnessed many under-handed practices when I was at Iona College. The new President, was expected to change things with his Strategice Plan - what a joke that turned out to be.

While at Iona, I witnessed a staff member getting a pedicure in the office - while students were around. I witnessed staff, doing absolutely nothing, all day - but getting paid - from student's tuition money, I witnessed elderly disabled staff members walking up and down stairs - because there offices were housed in buildings without elevators, and on and on.

Iona College outright lies to you about helping you with your job search. - They could carelesa about helping you.

Iona cares about MONEY - taking your MONEY.
Example, if you sign up to live-on-campus, and decide to leave after the first semester, you MUST pay for the dorm for the second semester, even you leave, and IONA rents your room - DOUBLE DIPPINNG AND STEALING WHERE I COME FROM.

Iona doesn't care about allowing students to use their meal plans at restaurants off-campus to make it nice for students, Iona takes kick-packs from the local restaurants everytime a student swipes his/her card.

The President and his staff at Iona College only care about making themselves look good to board members. Iona takes in 93 percent of students, but doesn't have the space to accomodate them.

Iona cares about your MONEY and Men's basketball. Don't get me wrong, there are nice people - nice staff working at Iona, that are sooooo underpaid - but are so nice. I had to stay at Iona - due to family reasons - I had to stay local - and I lived within walking distance to Iona.

Iona, years ago, in the 80s and early 90s, cared and lived the Mission of the Christian Brothers, but now, it's just a money-hungary school. So sad, but true.

Iona pays money for adverstisements, and Open Houses - all set-up, but take a few test-drives, go there, off-the-cuff, and walk around, inside offices, and you will witness the total lack of motivation at Iona.

Attend one of Iona's job fairs - you won't see any Big Fortune 50, 100, 500 corporations hiring students from Iona. Iona has VERY LIMITED partnerships with big corporations, hospitals, and on and on.

Iona's campus is beautiful in the Fall-very nice, but while I was there, the new President hasn't made any positive changes - other than redoing his big office - putting new doors in MsSpedon - while the computers in the student's lab remain broken, dirty, printers down, and students pay fees for paper and ink.

If you are going to spend money, go to the best - spend it at a college that cares, that is up-and-coming, not going backward. I just read their new Logo, "Move The World" - How is Iona moving the World? Iona spent a fortune, hiring an advertisement agency - to create a new logo, and new image, while Iona's departments are falling to pieces on the inside. How can Iona "Move the World", when like other posters wrote, "Iona didn't make the best 50 colleges in New YOrk list, how can Iona Move the World, when Iona didn't make the affordability list, how can Iona Move the World, when they have a low graduation rate and retention rate, and are concerned about NUMBERS, MONEY, QUANTITY, and Not QUALITY and CARING?

An Open House is set-up to look good. If you do attend, ask for statistical data, graduation reports, reports that show how many students were hired at Fortune 50 companies - total numbers, what salaries they were offered. Don't just hear about the one or two lucky kids, ask for detailed reports - on everything.

Ask how many kids drop-out, ask for a break-down of the fees, ask how many tutors are available, and how much they get paid, ask what percentage are Adjuncts, ask for the number of kids in core courses.

Don't give a dime to Iona until you get the answers. Compare the President's Salary, his President's Committee, the Men's Basketball Coach - with the Professors' salaries - you will see a BIGGGGGG difference. The President and his Committee members make 6 figures, while the Professors - most anyway - are underpaid and overworked.Iona didn't help me get a job - I was on my own. I only get letters from Iona asking for donations to their annual funds. What a disgrace. I'm ashamed to put Iona's name on my resume.

I'm a first semester Freshmen at Iona College,Quite BrightUndecided
I'm a first semester Freshmen at Iona College, and I'm miserable. This school is run like a grade school. I will say there are some good Professors, but shouldn't there be when you are paying close to $50,000.

I chose Iona College due to its proximity to NYC, and I wanted a small school, and Iona's campus is nice. So after touring, I decided to enroll at Iona College - A BIG MISTAKE.

To reiterate what other posters wrote - Iona has NO social life, that college life is boring, and the atmosphere around campus is very cold - it's not a welcoming community.

The tutoring center is dark - and in a cold building - and there wasn't any tutors available the few times I went for help - in the subjects I needed support with.

Most of my Professors are Adjuncts - part-time - so they leave campus after class - and some of my classes have 35 students.

Professors have to tell students to put their cell phones away, turn them off; like high school, and Iona doesn't even rank.

I enrolled in College for a College Life Exeperience - attending Iona is like attending a Grammary School. The President cares about Athletics and building Dorms -that's about it.

The facilities are not updated, computers are left broken, keyboards are black with dirt, in many labs - printers are down.

Iona is a money making racket - and I refuse to give anymore of my money to them. My parents work way too hard.

I can attend a community college - great teachers - and facilites for a Third of the Cost.
My advice -is don't go into student debt to attend Iona. It's not worth it. If you are going to spend $50,000 to attend a college - make it a college that has a high ranking, affordable, -and when you put your degree, from that school, on your resume, EMPLOYERS WILL NOTICE.

Iona is so lowly ranked, Employers will put you at the bottom of the heap.
I'm transferring to a Community College in the Spring. Most likely, I will complete my Associate's Degree, and then transfer to a 4-year highly ranked and affordable school. Next college, I will spend days, attending classes, asking for statistics - graduation rates, retentions rates, job employment rates, where? salaries?I won't be naive the next time around - I want the best value for my money. I wouldn't pay $50,000 for a second hand car.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920