StudentsReview :: The University of Dayton - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Xavier University -- Chicago, IL
Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH
University of Notre Dame -- Notre Dame, IN

The University of Dayton

Before anyone thinks anything about me being spoiled,Quite BrightComputer Science
Before anyone thinks anything about me being spoiled, I got into UD on scholarships and worked my ass off to get here. There's absolutely no way I could afford the tuition otherwise.

Honestly, it's so hard to point out concretely what's good and what's bad here because there's both good and bad in everything. Either way, because there are so many bad parts, it outweighs the good, ultimately leading to my decision to leave UD. I?ve been at the university for about a year, and I?m currently in my sophomore year. I?ll be transferring elsewhere for my junior and senior year.

First off, about half of the professors here are great, the other half absolutely terrible. It's really a hit or miss. I?ve either absolutely loved some of my professors, and hated others. There's a very small middle ground of ?just okay? professors. I?d much rather prefer more great and middle ground professors over old guys that have seniority, suck at teaching, and can stay just because they've been at the university for so long.

As another comment has said on here, a lot of the people are focused on "community" but the community is indeed rather superficial. The people here are so focused on 'community' that they fail to see when people are doing more harm than good, and deal with toxicity. For example, I was talking to the assistant dean of the college of arts and sciences on one occasion about a bad grade, and I mentioned to her that I didn't do all that well because the professor was self absorbed and told the class on the first day "I'm too educated to be teaching this course." He was not approachable at all, he only did proofs on the board that didn't explain how to do the math problem, and his tests/quizzes had unexpected problems we had never seen. When I told the assistant dean that he didn't seem very willing to help, she absolutely blew up and lectured me and said that "faculty are a part of the community too" and even said to me ?How would you feel if someone told you things that you just told me?? as if she was my mom, and we had only met for the first time. She's so concerned about the community aspect and that professor's "feelings" that she fails to see that a professor like that is toxic to a group of incoming freshmen.

As for the computer science program at UD? It sucks. It?s small. For some reason it's in the college of arts and sciences, when it's much more related to engineering and belonging to the school of engineering. They don't seem to value computer science as much as their traditional engineering programs. For the environment, it's not at all encouraging of innovation. You're in the stereotypical ?programmers belong in basements? environment. Labs in my CS courses have literally been in a basement on the ground floor so far. Also, because the program is so small, you're bound to get the same professor for at least two or more classes, and the professors aren't all that great; mediocre at best. The professors are also middle-aged or old people that have been outside of the industry for such a long time that their programming practices/habits are bad, and they don't teach what's best as an actual developer. Go somewhere else if you want to do anything related to software engineering or computer science.If you're into a community that tolerates toxicity, go here. Otherwise, I?d absolutely choose a different school every time I could. My advice if you don't like the university after the first year? Go somewhere else.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
I have had a positive experience career wise.Sociology
I have had a positive experience career wise. My personal reason for filling out this survey was to expose the bullshit double standards that UD supports is that literally, "he's a guy, he should be able to take care of himself" I was told this, by a UD police officer, one night, as I called to try to find a safe ride for an intoxicated gentleman. I was told that he would only be granted a safe ride home, if he were to adheer to a public intoxication charge "because he's not a girl or anything.". This officer, who is there to protect students, ALL studebts, denied this person his right to a safe ride home. Men, as well as women, get robbed, assulted, raped and murdered. Way to discriminate, UD police. Please, spend $30G to send your daughter to school and know that she is 110% protected. But hey, if your child has a penis or identifies as a male, your kid is on their own. So, good luck with that. Fantastic job UD.
Before I say all of the negatives, IAverageEducation
Before I say all of the negatives, I will point out that UD, as an establishment, is really great. The administration and teachers that I worked with were incredibly kind and helpful. They were truly interested in my success and future. If it were not for the great education that was provided by the teacher/ED department, I would have never graduated from UD.

I recently graduated from Dayton (May 2016) and I have never been so happy to get out of an environment. UD students wave a big "community" flag, but this "community" is extremely superficial. The first night I had in the UD ghetto was amazing. I remember people giving away beers, playing games, and buying pizza at 5 in the morning. I have not had a better night at UD since then, four years ago. The people are downright rude. I remember visiting Ohio State and feeling so surprised with how well they treated their peers. At UD, you are nobody if you do not absolutely love UD like everyone else does. You are nobody if you do not feel like getting obliterated drunk Thursday through Sunday. I went to a lot of parties in the ghetto and even lived in the ghetto for two years. I like to party and was excited for the "party school" reputation Dayton has, but I was so disappointed. Partying in Dayton= Standing. Talking. Shitty Beer ONLY. Kids stay up all night playing beer die or beer pong only. Its so boring. All of the guys are that douchey, borderline wannabe, frat type. They are awful. The girls are really cliquey. Do not plan on having a lot of girlfriends if you are female and not in a sorority. Greek life is small, but growing in importance when it comes to socializing. Alumni will tell you that you can just walk up to a house and walk in and everything will be great and you will party and meet all these amazing friends. Well, it's not like that anymore. I cannot tell you how many times I would walk up to a party and I was told to "Get the fuck out." I had a girl spit in my face when I had just walked up to the porch she was on. I've had a guy tell me to "move fat bitch" in my own house in the ghetto. You will either love or hate Dayton. I do not think I will regret anything more than spending the past 4 years of my life at this school. I tried to insert myself, get involved with things on campus, meet different types of people but I found myself in the same hole of not feeling like I belong time after time after time. I left with no real friendships. I just warn people... If you do not like it by the end of your freshman year, please transfer. Do not make the mistake I did coming here and ruin your college years.

4th Year Female -- Class 2016