StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Dayton - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Notre Dame -- Notre Dame, IN

The University of Dayton

Get involved in school

Sep 19 2013Electrical Engineering
Get involved in school activities. Dayton has so much to offer. So many co-ops programs with companies as well. They have lots of free tutoring avaible as well. Its a nice school. I noticed quickly here that guys become friends quick, but girls it takes few months til they really enjoy Dayton.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use: A+, Surrounding City: C-

I am absolutely obsessed with the University of

Sep 15 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I am absolutely obsessed with the University of Dayton.
From my amazing dorm room in Marycrest to my perfect major to the small class sizes to the AMAZING weekends in the Ghetto, it's hard to actually describe Dayton until you actually experience it.

I had the hardest time picking a school. I wanted to go to UD but the price was intimidating. With wonderful scholarships I was able to make it work. APPLY FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN.

When you get to Dayton, you'll never want to leave. You'll make the most amazing friends from day one of orientation. The most friendly people in the world seem to flock to UD. I have yet to find one person here that I don't like.

Classes in my major are long and stressful, but go towards my major and that makes them fun. I actually really like the classes. Gen ed's aren't terribly boring and the smaller class sizes definitely help the less exciting ones more personable and fun.

The ghetto is amazing. No one pressures you to drink, but if you do, there's free stuff every. single. weekend. Upperclassmen love the freshmen and will treat you all like royalty. It's fun just walking around and meeting new people and dancing. Also, I've never once felt not safe while out. Everyone looks out for each other.UD is summed up in one word: community. If you come here, I PROMISE it will be thee best decision of your life. I know it was mine. : ) GO FLYERS.

Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B

UD is a great school, all around an

Jul 16 2013Biology
UD is a great school, all around an unforgettable experience and a wonderful university. Your fresh man year you get swamped by new people all in your shoes of trying to find a group of friends. I can't even get to class without running into someone I know. Something that did get old though are the words "marianist" and "community". You get to hear those over and over and over, but it is for a reason. Despite falling into a UD cliche the school is a big community, I'm not that religious so the marianist side I can't speak for.

One thing you should know is the abundance of alcohol on campus. Yes there are loads of drinkers and any given weekend there are parties out the wazoo. There is a "Club Six" if you don't drink, however, if you detest drinking I'd say this isn't the place for you. I was a sober steve for the first half of my freshman year and it took a while for everyone to get that, but anytime they did ask it was never pressure, rather a constant "do you want anything" followed by a "you sure?" Drinking isn't an all consuming aspect of UD but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't a big chunk.

I was in a dorm that didn't have many people per floor and it seemed like most of my floormates were heavy drinkers. I didn't really find my group of friends until my sophomore year and I couldn't ask for better friends. Even still everyone at UD is awesome but finding people you click with took me a little while. Walking through the student neighborhood all the upperclassmen want nothing more than for you to come up to their porch and hang out and have a brew.

The school itself is second to none in my book. A beautiful campus despite the fact that across one street it gets a little sketchy. As a man I never felt in danger on campus but I never did stray to far off campus. Without a car I never really got into the heart of dayton, but brownstreet (the street that runs adjacent to campus) has loads of places to eat and a cool second hand store.

The school has been renovating for at least 5 years, and just this past summer the oldest dorm on campus just got remodeled, so everything feels new. Dinning halls are out of this world, I've heard people at UD complain but I've literally never been disappointed. One of the dining halls has it's own version of chipotle and and a mongolian grill. My parents never stop being amazed by how good it is when they come up.

The diversity of students is pretty crazy for how small a university it is. There are foreign exchange students from puerto rico (which I guess isn't that foreign) the middle east, china. They have campus ministry that is nondenominational so Lutherans, Catholics, Medthodists pretty much anything is welcome including other religious backgrounds like Islam or Agnostics. The school is very supportive of LGBT which is a little odd for a catholic univeristy but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Campus Activity Board puts on events twice a week and bring in awesome acts. Plus a Multicultural fair and "Up the Orgs" event to introduce freshmen to clubs at dayton. The prizes they give out are insane like beats headphones or flatscreen tv's. Stuff is going on all time including intramurals like soccer and basketball, and cooler stuff like dodgeball and battleship (canoes in a pool).

I couldn't fit how awesome UD is into one review if I sat here for 3 hours. Coming here was one of the best choices I've ever made. But a little advice, you should be ok with drinking before coming here.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015