StudentsReview :: Longwood University - Comments and Student Experiences

Radford University -- Radford, VA

Longwood University

Jul 10 2013Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Overall you should choose the school that feels right for you. I went into Longwood separate from my friends at home and gained a whole new group of people I couldn't imagine having never met. Cherish your freshman year, once it's over time flies by and you're graduating.

I am a third year Photography student and I haven't regretted my decision once that Longwood was the school for me. Most people don't realize what our art program has and how talented a lot of the students are. We have a brand new building and all new equipment that makes it being an art major the best. The professors enjoy coming up with projects that will literally beat the creativity out of you. As a majority we turn into night owls and don't finish our work until the last minute. This is a trait that comes as a college student in itself but it's a different story when you have to do sculptures and prints. For the most part the professors are really helpful and the good ones go above and beyond their job as a teacher. By the time you graduate you should have several exhibitions to put on your resume and there's the opportunity to work at the Longwood Center for Visual Arts that should be taken advantage of. You don't need a resume to get into the program and it's designed specifically so that they can assess you on the art you create while at school. That time each year is stressful but it really evaluates whether you're in the right field or not.Go to Longwood! It'll be the best years of your life!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
May 16 2013Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
There are many positive things about Longwood University. The campus is beautiful, the people are incredibly friendly and helpful, and the faculty treat you more as a friend and colleague than an inferior. Most are always willing to talk with students about problems, whether school, class, or personal.However, Longwood Administration is horrid. The communication between Administration and students is poor, and the planning of parking, especially for events, is beyond bad. Administration needs to work on their communication and parking around Longwood.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: C
Mar 07 2013Music Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Longwood Helped prepare me in every way imaginable to be successful in a job not only in my major, but in any career I chose. I got hired on to my first job, directly related to my major two weeks before I even graduated, and started the week after graduation. I stuck with the job for 3 years until budget cuts eliminated my position. The athletics department is constantly improving, and it is fun to keep up with Lancer Athletics as they make a splash on the national scene.

For a small town, there is plenty to do around Farmville, and Richmond is only an h our or so away. The Greek scene is fairly well developed, but the different organizations fo not exclude non-greeks and often encourage their involvement in Greek activities.

The very low student to faculty ratio means you can always go to your professors after class with any issue and get is resolved. I never had a class taught by a TA which to me was critical. I still keep in contact with many of my professors and can ask them for advice 7 years after graduation. I am now on track to make 6 figures in the next year because Longwood helped cultivate me into a Citizen Leader

Starting Job: Band Techer Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C