StudentsReview :: The University of Tennessee

Describes the faculty as: Friendly, Helpful

ACT:
Intelligence
Friendliness
She cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
1. At UTK you're a number. I have had many problems with "the big orange screw" through out my three years at UT. I am 3 semester away from graduating.

2. The campus is over run with:

a) Greek life. You see the sorority girls walking around in packs in their matching t-shirts or dresses. I'm sure this is a great environment for some, but for others it is intimidating, and kind of annoying.

b) Religious Groups. I have never been invited to more church services in my entire life. There is a bible study being advertised for every night of the week. The people are very nice though, so even if you are not religious, it is an easy way to meet people.

3. The university schedules activities, but the often lack attendance and enthusiasm. I can say this with experience because I really did throw myself into trying to participate during my freshman year.

4. I have lived on campus every year, and the only reason I am moving off campus is because I'm getting married. I would highly suggest it because when you end up with an 8 am class because it was the only section avialable, it will be that much easier to skip - knowing you have to drive to school. It also makes it nice if you have a break between classes. I'm surprised that I am suggesting this, because I have had a couple of nightmare-ish roommate stories, but on-campus living has far too many perks in my opinion.

5. My favorite thing to do on campus is go to the plays put on at the Clarence Brown Theatre. They are $5 with your student ID, and they are always entertaining. Cheaper than a movie, and more culturally enriching, makes far a great - cheap - date!

6. Knoxville has terrible water, and air. Terrible = polluted. I've never had allergies before, but apparently I'm allergic to Knoxville. Thankfully I have never had a problem getting into the "free" (part of your tuition) clinic. Take advantage of this. You do have to pay for any actual tests now (that's new this year - 2009) but it's a good clinic. Just remember, they see a lot of mono, and the common cold, and fakers. So be persistent and you will get better service.

7. The food generally sucks. Except for the omlettes.

8. I find my classes easy and, sometimes, boring. I have had two teachers that I couldn't understand, two that did not do any lesson planning, and a couple of really amazing teachers. Get online, look at teacher reviews of people who have taken the classes. You'll have better luck that way!

I go to UT because my dad went to UT. I have no connection to this school other than to hurry up and graduate. I have had more health problems here than I have ever had before, but I don't blame that on the school. I have tried to offer some positive advice, but I can honestly say that knowing what I know now - I would never come here. If you don't find your perfect group of friends, Knoxville is a big, lonely city.