StudentsReview ™ :: Arizona State University

Duke University -- Durham, NC
Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University

Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
Gender: FemaleThis person cares more about Campus Aesthetics/Beauty than the average student.
Intelligence:
ACT:
SAT:
University Resource Use C+
Describes the student body mostly as:
Approachable

Describes the faculty mostly as:
Friendly

Faculty Accessibility A
How this student rated the school:
Educational QualityB+ Faculty AccessibilityA
Useful SchoolworkB Excess CompetitionB+
Academic SuccessB Creativity/InnovationA-
Individual ValueA- University Resource UseC+
Campus Aesthetics/BeautyC+ FriendlinessA
Campus MaintenanceB- Social LifeB+
Surrounding CityB- Extra CurricularsB+
SafetyB-

I have received a couple of good perks while attending ASU as a Barrett Honors College student. My professors in The Human Event and the honors ENG 102 courses taught me how to write strong papers, a skill that will help me with the rest of my academic career. From now until I graduate, I also get the privilege to register for classes a week earlier than everybody else, which ensures that I get the schedule that I want. Though these benefits make the Barrett Honors College seem like a sanctuary within ASU, it is a complete mess in reality. Barrett Honors College is horribly disorganized. Though I had helpful and informative professors, many others that I knew did not have the same luck. Several other Human Event professors do not allow their students to discuss ideas that are different from their own. Such bias had gone as far as lowering a student's grade on his/her thesis papers. I would have thought that all Human Event professors would be required to allow students to discuss their thoughts without persecution. Another example of disorganization is the study abroad program through the honors college. I am currently signed up to go to China on May 15, yet I, along with several dozen other students, were never informed of how much tuition would be until April 23. Is it really that difficult to give at least an estimate of the tuition costs during the information meetings back in the Fall semester, instead of waiting until 2 days before the payment deadline to tell us we owe an extra $1500? The program thus far has been nothing but one hidden cost after another, and you are expected to pay those costs (ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars) in a very limited time. If the trip itself does not make up for these expenses, I will NEVER register for another study abroad session again. Finally, the college completely disorganizes the student's life. Students have the responsibility of managing their time wisely, but many assignments given through honors courses simply take up too much of it. Requiring a student to read for 4 or more hours for a single class is heinous when that student has other classes (especially honors classes)to worry about. I can still learn how to write effectively and read critically without being forced to dramatically lower my standards in all of my other classes. Why, then, does Barrett Honors College require students to needlessly sacrifice so much time and energy? I've also had to give up all extracurricular activities just to get my assignments done on time for nearly the entire year, thus making me gain an extra 5lbs. The honors courses should be about making us think, not making us ruin the rest of our lives. If you do not mind putting up with severe bias, shelling out thousands of dollars at the last minute, giving up all of your time, and/or come close to failing all of your other classes in order to pass one honors course, then Barrett Honors College is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, you will probably hate it. Your college experience should be about learning and living, not one or the other.

More Comments on Arizona State University

responseReally, all of this is true. I read this review before I was accepted into Barrett, and now I regret ever moving from California to participate in the mess of bureaucracy and stress that is ASU. (If you need financial aid--ASU will make you jump through hoop after hoop, and then you'll be lucky if you ever get it right.)

commentNot sure how long ago this was posted, but I'll add that they flat-out LIE to you about the costs of attending Barrett. Shamelessly lie. The dean himself specifically told my parents there would not be substantial tuition and fee increases. I'm in my junior year and my "full ride" no longer even covers tuition. I had to move off-campus due to exorbitant housing prices in "our" new dorms, and as punishment I pay a huge fee to the honors college while my keycard also is deactivated so I cannot enter the res area to use the amenities I pay so much for (private gym, coffee place, courtyard, pool tables, etc). It is a HUGE rip-off and if I weren't a psych major and thus getting a publication out of my thesis and research, I'd have dropped it last year.

commentHow are the people in Barrett?

commentI just finished up my first semester at ASU. I am currently enrolled in the NUMBER ONE school for journalism and Barrett, The Honors College and this entire review is a load of garbage. First of all, the college is not disorganized. You're just being a little weak and a princess about everything. Arizona State and has a very well organized honors college that has staff available to all students at almost all hours of each and every day. On the account of Human Event professors, yes, their classes (as well as other honors classes) are difficult. However, they do not consume as much time as this ridiculous review is promoting. The classes are tough, but not outrageous. Also, the professors are not biased. My Human Event professor was an extremely open person who was willing to hear any view point that a student had to offer. Do not waste your time contemplating on whether or not this review is liable because it is a heaping pile of absolute shit. Thank you.

questionWhat is the time consumtion and rigor of being enrolled into barret and not?

commentIt's libel, not liable...hopefully there is more intelligence in Barrett than this