StudentsReview :: The University of Arizona - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 11
Females 9
Males 2
Avg years at University 3.4
Research Quality B+ (7.9)
Research Availability A- (8.3)
Research Funding A- (8.3)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.4)
Errand Runners B (7.0)
Degree Completion B (7.1)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A (9.3)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.6)
Competitiveness B (6.8)
Education Quality B (6.7)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.1)
Useful Research A- (8.1)
"Individual" treatment B (6.9)
Friendliness B+ (7.9)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty A (9.1)
Campus Maintenance A (9.2)
University Resource/spending A- (8.4)
Extracurriculars A (8.9)
Success-Understanding A- (8.3)
Surrounding City A (9.2)
Social Life/Environment B+ (7.8)
Graduate PoliticsC+
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]A

I am an international student

May 20 2013Biology
I am an international student. I completed my master's at another University and then transferred to this umbrella program ABBS that would lead to a PhD degree in one of the participating disciplines like Mol. cell bio, genetics, cell and mol medicine, etc. This was one of my greatest mistake of my life thus far. I should have done what my other colleagues had done- worked for the industry. I don't have the space to write my whole story but I would say that this program at least is not meant for international students. Professors are not helpful, considerate or even understanding. I didn't care about the compensation. I was willing to work for free and enhance my learning at the same time, but there is a lot of politics in the department. This has put me in a very desperate state. Professors promise something and then fail to keep them by citing BS reasons like funding or the lack of motivation from students. False charges could be made against you just to remove you from the program. My advice to all you students out there is not to join this program or any of the participating departments. This program is dead as far as doing good science is concerned and of course funding and politics are a major problem therefore reputed professors like Dr. Roy Parker have chosen to join other universities. I don't have one professor whom I can go and talk to and request for help. There are a lot of gossip mongering professors and they are easily influenced by the opinion of others. I implore you all not to chose this program not because of my experience. I am not the only one who has gone through this. I am just not afraid to write my experience since I am out of the program now. There was another student who after being in this program for 2 years had to take a transfer to another university. She was lucky to have received a Masters degree from here before she left. I hope people who are already in the program are able to complete their thesis before they begin losing their peace of mind. Good luck !!!!

Professional is one thing this program is not

Aug 21 2012Business - Management and Administration
Professional is one thing this program is not which is hypocritical at best. It is poorly organized and planned with complete lack of regard for the students. While I understand that this is not a diploma mill, they advocate that the program is focused around working professionals. I hardly feel that a program which consume 20 hours a week for 6 credit hours focusing on working professionals.

Eller MBA is inflated

Nov 01 2011Business - Management and Administration
Eller MBA is inflated. The format of the program is just a copy of any California MBA program. Don't learn a THING in the first year of quarter courses, strictly memorization testing. 2nd year appears as though it will be better, but the first year is a complete absorption of time. Plan to have minimal time for anything but group projects.

This is a racist school

Sep 29 2011Other
This is a racist school. They pretend niceness to earn federal funds but they don't give a *** whether you graduate or not. Their point is to always be right regardless. Have to hire civil rights attorneys to continue my education. A disgrace to any promising student, a sham by hiring and accepting minorities. If there where money involved with graduating minorities, then they would give a dam. Save your brain for elsewhere.

Women and students of color are not welcome

May 10 2011Math
Women and students of color are not welcome in the math department here. The statistics of the number of women and people of color who DO NOT graduate are staggering. If any of these students struggle in the slightest, the atmosphere around them makes it CLEAR that they are not welcome. Faculty who try to help these students are shunned or do not stay at the department. Other students (including drug addicts and alcoholics) are helped through the program.
Jun 04 2004Education

This university sucks! Well, at least I'll be done in two years.