StudentsReview :: California State University Chico - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

California State University Chico

Dec 09 2014Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Overall, just not a good school. I too witnessed cheating on exams in classes (more quiz's actually). The teachers do not want students challenging them in an intelligent way. Never have I seen a faculty, or school for that matter, that acts as if the student is the low-totem, "nothing." However, how quickly they forget, the student pays their paycheck! You know, if all 16,000students got together, we could make some great changes... for instance, no tenure for any instructor without a student committee's vote of approval. Thats how it works at Mendocino Community College (again, it's a community, 2yr school - and the students run it!~). If CSU Chico students would start to care about their own education, changes would occur. Dont wait for these instructors/faculty/chairpersons to get hit by the moral lightening rod... it'll never happen. WE, the STUDENTS, MUST DEMAND IT! Stop instructors racism (Im talking about white kids being treated badly because of this liberal crap that all whites are born 'entitled'). The most hated type by CSU Chico instructors: Tall, blonde, blue eyed, men. Believe it! If I could, Id go back in time & NEVER have applied to this school! Id go after UC Davis, or some southern CA UC school. My kids WILL NOT go to CSU Chico, that's for sure!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: B-, Education Quality: F
Dec 09 2014PreLaw and Legal
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Ive been attending CSU Chico for 2 years, graduating in 2015. This school is a waste of money, or it's a great deal if you want good grades for un-challenging scholastic work. Instructors at CSU Chico are NOT looking to be challenged by students in anyway-shape-or-form. It's their way or the highway. Ive pointed out mistakes in the midst of a lecture, only to be told by the instructor that my comments were not helpful, but would only confuse the students! What? I personally drove 3hrs once only to find out once I arrived that class was cancelled! When I complained to the Business College Chairman, I was told my complaint was "trivial" (CSU Chico has a system in place that, via email, students are informed a class has been cancelled - on this occasion, the instructor simply didnt let anyone know - and I was pretty upset - wouldn't YOU be?)... Drive 3hrs to school, and no school... yeah). Anyway, faculty, in my experience as an a bit of an older student, are there for a paycheck only. Now, talk to the dumb & young students who's parents are paying for everything, and they'll tell you they think these "easy-grading" teachers are awesome...what they fail to grasp is: How is those easy grades helping you once you graduate? Unless you want a degree in business only to become a bartender, these "easy" instructors are doing these students nor our community, nor our country any darn good by being "easy." The students, for the most part, are attending for their parents. Most could care less about anything but the party. If I could, after I graduated w/ my AA, I would have transferred to Sac State, or maybe Davis Unv. I thought Chico was a good bet, I was wrong.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A-, Education Quality: F
Jan 31 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I did not enjoy my time at Chico. The academics were just so-so. There were parties and extra activities going on all the time. If you just want to hang-out and drift, you can do it here. Some faculty are really good. They seem to be the ones who are using Chico as a stop over for better things in the future. Some of the faculty are mediocre to really bad. They have tenure and just want to put in the minimum. They also have a way of weeding out students so they don't have so much workload. I waited 30 minutes for my calculus professor to finish giving a guitar lesson during office hours. Then he just brushed me off.If you're not sure what you want to do in college, this is a good place to kill some time. Once you decide, however, better to move on to a real academic institution.
4th Year Male -- Class 2008