StudentsReview :: California State University - Chico - Comments and Student Experiences

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

California State University - Chico

This school is theHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
This school is the place for you if you enjoy mindlessness boredom lefty politics and a body of professors that can be had at JC. There isn't a lot on offer in either this school or this town. Waste of money. Terrible and overrated in every way.............
I am a Management Information Systems major.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am a Management Information Systems major. I came to the university because it was affordable and i wanted to get away from big city life.

I see a lot of posts on here complaining about becoming "just another face" on campus, I have the sneaky suspicion that they did not try to become involved with the many organizations on campus, or tried to talk to their professors to get to know them or their major more in depth. Like any other large university, you can slip away if you want to. Professors will be as involved as you are in getting you the education you want. Do you want to come to class hung-over everyday annd just scrape by? you can do that. Do you want to put effort to learn material, and build a lasting network within your program? you can do that too.

Everything at Chico is there for you to take, but you have to put the effort. I still speak with a few professors I had a few years ago, and they still are open to me coming by their office hours just to talk tech or business. They are not going to hold your hand, but in my experience will do everything to help you, if you ask for it.

The business department students really work together, especially in MINS once you reach upper-division classes its the same 60 people in all of your classes. We've often collaborated on studying and trying to learn as much as we could.

One thing I did dislike was what we call the "Farmer Bros" on campus. The very conservative white guys that believe they are better than you just because. There is underlying racism here and its obvious who is yelling racial slurs out of their 4x4 diesel truck with the confederate flag on it. Sir, were not even in the south, whats with the flag? I never had a racist experience personally but having to work with them when they obviously did not enjoy my presence was frustrating.

Overall I loved the education here. Some programs are better than others. Do your research, ask around. But the MINS program here prepared me greatly for my job. College is what you make it. if you reach out to professors they are there.On the party note. Yes, all the rumors are true. There's parties Wednesday-Sunday and they will distract you if you let them. Be responsible.

4th Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D+
The reason I chose Chico State, was becauseNot so brightOther
The reason I chose Chico State, was because of the beautiful scenery, the good looking newly made school gym at the time, and the notorious reputation of a party school. I went into this school being a partier, and was undecided as far as my major. I'm sure many readers can relate, so pay attention.

Dorms: A nightmare. My roommate first off smelled like utter shit. I think he took one shower the whole two months I was in that room. He also snored like an elephant. Lastly, he had a bag full of action figures in his desk. Life was hell. One roommate doesn't represent a whole school though. This just is a prime example of what a bad roommate could be like, in any school. Prepare for the worst, consider a single bedroom, or get an apartment. A few sleepless months later from his snoring, I moved to a single room bedroom in Whitney Hall. Lots of bugs. People called them "alien bugs." Nasty. Staff does nothing about those. Fire alarms get pulled all the time. Expect to get up at least a few times a month in middle of night to stand outside for an hour in the cold.

Education: The teachers I had were nothing special. No better than a community college, if that. If you want a real education, don't settle for Chico.

Parties: Parties on every block. Can find a party every night if you try. Except don't come here just to party. Why? You would be paying tens of thousands of dollars just to get into a party scene. Idiotic. In fact, DO NOT pick a college for a party scene at all. The party scene isn't just Chico State students here. It's local gangs, it's occasional local high school students, and it's full of Chico community college kids. Only go to college if you want a SERIOUS education. If you DO want a serious education, don't go to Chico State. It's a slide through as easy as you can type of college, so kids can keep partying off their parents money. I haven't used anything in a few years, nor attended parties, and life is SO MUCH BETTER; but I'm not here to change your life-views on yelp.

Safety: I got jumped at a party once by a gang that robbed my phone. Be careful. Also, I was having bad anxiety, and went to the student health center. The lady there gave me a pill that was supposed to be 15mg and ended up being 150mg, because she made a "mistake." It could have killed me. That staff member should be fired, if not jailed. A big tree branch fell and killed a girl on campus the year that I was there; like how bad can it get?

All of this took place within just under one semester at Chico State. It was horrible, and I left quick as I could. Partly due to the fact I caught mono from one of the girls and got very sick. Not to mention all those party "friends" I had were dropping out, getting kicked out, and being removed from the dorms left and right. Fast forward a few years later - I have reprioritized my life, given up partying, and am in preparation to transfer to one of the most highly respected universities in America.

-----Bottom line: Don't go here if you wan't a real education. Don't pick a school based on the party scene. If partying means the most to you, put school on hold, and figure out your life priorities first. You can always return to college when you are ready for an education. Not to mention - if your college is education based, which it should be, you can do much better than Chico State

1st Year Male -- Class 1922