StudentsReview :: Augustana College - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL

Augustana College

I absolutely love Augustana and am so glad

Mar 02 2014Psychology
I absolutely love Augustana and am so glad I chose to study here. The professors are extremely invested in their students and I have had so many opportunities for internships and clinical experiences. I am also involved in many clubs on campus. The social life is definitely what you make it. There are parties if that's what you like, but if not there are normally concerts or other activities to do. If you are not a partier, you're sure to make friends that are similar, then you can have your own fun. I love everything about Augie and hope you will too! :)
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: C+

They claim to be a competitive school to

Apr 14 2014Biology
They claim to be a competitive school to get into; however, I don't understand how they can claim this when you are not required to submit any standardized test scores (ACT/SAT). I have many friends who choose not to submit their scores (many of whom scored in the mid-teen range on the ACT) because they thought it would hurt their chances of admission. Obviously, it would not have mattered.

They focus on your accomplishments in high school and praise you on how bright you are, as evidenced by your acceptance into Augie.

I went to a well-respected high school, and the classes taught here were taught either on par with or below the level of my freshman year high school classes. I am a biology major (which is considered one of the more challenging majors), and I was able to use my notes from freshman year high school biology to help me study for tests. And that was for classes that were specific to my major. The "perspectives" classes were taught at an even lower level, had nothing to do with my major, and are used as money makers for the school.

The surrounding town is unsafe, and at night, the surrounding town seeps onto the campus. They found the body of a murdered man at a park a few blocks away from campus. Parents should not feel safe sending their kids here.

They claim that Greek life is big here, but it's not real Greek life. The frats and sororities are made up and have no national affiliation, yet they act as if they are the hot shots on campus. Overall, go to a school that will actually challenge you so that you can get a job after graduation and not be 150k in debt.

My experience at Augustana College was very positive

Jan 10 2014PreMed and Medical
My experience at Augustana College was very positive. The academics are strong and the faculty are helpful. Anything you would like to achieve is possible at Augie due to the resources that are made available to students such as Augie Choice, which is $2,000 every student has access to in order to study abroad or for an internship. I have grown as a person and have become a strong critical thinker and cultured individual. I am applying to graduate schools and I know that my resume that I have built as well as my professors' recommendations will be strong against other applicants in my program. Augustana offers a fantastic academic value and I think Augie graduates are far ahead of other students graduating from other schools in professionalism, work ethic and problem-solving. Job placement and graduate school acceptance is high in comparison to other schools.

As far as the student body is concerned, there is a mix of students that attend Augustana. There are many groups of people including the jocks, hippies, music kids, theater kids and greeks. I was not greek and I had a lot of fun and I love the friends I have made. I feel as if it doesn't matter if you are greek or not and that non-greeks and greeks find the same amount fun (and parties).

I originally hated the Quad Cities but they have grown on me. There are many hidden things to do and cultural centers on both sides of the Mississippi in Illinois and Iowa. Downtown Moline is nice and Le Claire is a beautiful little town that is a hidden treasure in Iowa. Overall, I would redo my college experience at Augustana. I will be sad to leave after graduation in the spring!

4th Year Female -- Class 2014