StudentsReview :: Northern Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL
Illinois State University -- Normal, IL

Northern Illinois University

Dec 08 2013Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am an out-of-state (St. Louis) freshman who came to this school because of the fact that it was close to Chicago, it had a great nursing program, and because the student size was a descent size.

With that being said, I must say that I would have absolutely chosen a different school. The only things I like about this school- the academics, the football (LOVE the football games), and the people are nice. However, they leave every weekend. I don't think anyone I know at this school considers NIU to be a "great school". The majority of people I have met are from small towns in Illinois who only came here because their parents went here, and because it's close to home. Oh and all of them only applied here.

Also, upon reading these reviews before choosing NIU, I read that everyone goes home on the weekends but I thought that it would be OK because I would just make friends with people that stayed behind. If you take nothing else from this review, hear me out: MOST STUDENTS go home on the weekends, and those who don't either party or play video games by themselves all weekend. I personally don't party or drink, and I can say with confidence that there is nothing to do. Going to movies, going out to eat, and watching movies in our lounge are the only things that my friend and I do every weekend, and it is ridiculous.

If you are from Illinois and plan on going home every weekend, great! Come to NIU. If you like to party every weekend and plan on going Greek, great! Come to NIU. If you are looking for a school where you can always find something to do besides partying, and plan on making a lot of friends that way then DO NOT COME HERE. I would have rather just have gone to a big state school or paid 20K more to go to a school in Chicago if I knew that the social scene would be so dead. The biggest problem is that there is nowhere for students to just hang out, most people go back to the dorms after class, not many just sit around everywhere on campus like you would expect.

All in all: academics are good (you'll get a job if you graduate from here, but TRUST ME that is not the end all) (also I feel that I should say that I have all A's and 1 B+, so academics are not too hard), surrounding area (and campus) is dead on weekends, football is the best part of the school, and the students are very nice but they leave every weekend. YOU CAN DO BETTER TRUST ME

Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F
Oct 15 2013Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I come from a upper class high school, and have been practicing programming and studying computers since I was young. I consider myself very good at programming, and have a part time programming job.

Overall the Computer Science program is very disappointing. Maybe it's too early to tell, but many of my classes are just too easy. I'm easily bored in my classes and whenever I'm in them I just do homework. I feel like most of the topics they're teaching are on a high school level, a little under half of my fellow CS majors have no grasp of the programming concept and shouldn't be able coast along and get a degree.

The gen-eds are 'okay' you can test out of many of them, but they wouldn't take my 5 on the AP programming test because understanding Java doesn't mean I'll understand grade school level C++ >:(

Party scene is okay, but you'll need to be in a Greek Frat/Sor or join a club that socializes afterwards.

A lot of people say this campus is unsafe. To be honest, it CAN be unsafe, but only if you put yourself in a position of danger. Most of the crimes (police reports are available online) are just cannabis possession, drunk shenanigans, or theft (not muggings).I do like it here because of my friends, but wish the CS department was actually worth it. Also I wish I didn't need a degree to get a job, but oh well.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Innovation: F
Sep 11 2013Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have so far really enjoyed my time at NIU. The University is trying quite hard to improve our facilities and the overall aesthetic appeal of campus- look at New Hall and Gilbert. They're gorgeous! You really get what you put into it here. If you go home every weekend and never make the attempt to connect and build yourself a community, you're going to hate it. However, if you put in the time, get involved, and have a positive attitude, you will have some of the greatest years of your life here!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016