StudentsReview :: Northern Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL
Illinois State University -- Normal, IL

Northern Illinois University

I went here as a freshmen and meetBrightKinesiology
I went here as a freshmen and meet many other students that lived on my floor of the dorm hall. While living here I found ways to party at night while studying during the day. It is kind of what you make it at all colleges so meet people and try to put your self out there. This was the best 4 years of my life and I will always miss my HUSKIES!
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B-
I transferred to NIU a couple of yearsBrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I transferred to NIU a couple of years ago. Some of the staff has been excellent and very friendly and helpful in my program. But, there are others that have been rude, mean, and frankly don't give a damn about students. Big biggest issues with the school have been on the administrative side of things.

Been here for several years and there are some really great teachers and then there are some very bad ones. But my biggest complaints have to do with how the campus is run. They tend to hire young and inexperienced CA's who do not enforce the rules in the dorms. There is blatant agism in their hiring practices when it comes to the CA position. You could likely count the number of CA's over 25 on one hand. Likely 0 over the age of 30 despite having a healthy population of non-traditional students.

If you live in the dorms expect thin walls and people who like to laugh, scream, and shout at all hours so good luck getting homework done unless you do get lucky enough to get the rare CA that does their job.

Also, after you move the campus will kindly forward you your mail. Of course that is after it has been opened (which tampering with the mail is a federal offense) and sometimes 6-8 months after the fact.

The honors program likes to change the rules on how they run things without much or any notice. If you are lucky I might be buried in a 20pg newsletter that you will be too busy to read anyway.

Oh, if you are looking to get help and information from financial aid? Forget it, it's like pulling teeth and you are better off just asking classmates what options are out there. Which is why I found out I ran out of hours for my map grant for my last semester near the middle/end right before my last semester to graduate. Sorry did you think you would have enough aid to graduate since you took out every single possible loan we offer? NOPE suck it student, find some other way to pay.

Also, had to contact the school ombudsman office to let them know that having student run events on campus with a DJ that blares music at the dorms so you can hear it in your room for 9 hours straight that talks about drugging girls and raping them and f(*K the police is probably not a good idea on a college campus. Or allowing the football team to blare the same type of music over the loudspeakers in the stadium during practices that can be heard by parents with children and visiting family members might not be such a good idea.

Just this last semester I got to treat another students minor stab wound after he and a buddies roughhousing got out of hand. Interesting but since I lived on the same floor as the person who did the stabbing and didn't much care for the guy it didn't make me feel to safe. (I should mention he did indeed get expelled for that) Of course that didn't stop other boys on the floor from engaging in harassing behaviors and defacement of property.That being said they have a nice on campus clinic, some of their programs are very good. But if you can live off campus and not in the dorms. The rec center is pretty nice too and they have done a number of building upgrades to certain parts of the campus.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Friendliness: B-, Education Quality: F
I am an out-of-state (St.BrightNursing
I am an out-of-state (St. Louis) freshman who came to this school because of the fact that it was close to Chicago, it had a great nursing program, and because the student size was a descent size.

With that being said, I must say that I would have absolutely chosen a different school. The only things I like about this school- the academics, the football (LOVE the football games), and the people are nice. However, they leave every weekend. I don't think anyone I know at this school considers NIU to be a "great school". The majority of people I have met are from small towns in Illinois who only came here because their parents went here, and because it's close to home. Oh and all of them only applied here.

Also, upon reading these reviews before choosing NIU, I read that everyone goes home on the weekends but I thought that it would be OK because I would just make friends with people that stayed behind. If you take nothing else from this review, hear me out: MOST STUDENTS go home on the weekends, and those who don't either party or play video games by themselves all weekend. I personally don't party or drink, and I can say with confidence that there is nothing to do. Going to movies, going out to eat, and watching movies in our lounge are the only things that my friend and I do every weekend, and it is ridiculous.

If you are from Illinois and plan on going home every weekend, great! Come to NIU. If you like to party every weekend and plan on going Greek, great! Come to NIU. If you are looking for a school where you can always find something to do besides partying, and plan on making a lot of friends that way then DO NOT COME HERE. I would have rather just have gone to a big state school or paid 20K more to go to a school in Chicago if I knew that the social scene would be so dead. The biggest problem is that there is nowhere for students to just hang out, most people go back to the dorms after class, not many just sit around everywhere on campus like you would expect.

All in all: academics are good (you'll get a job if you graduate from here, but TRUST ME that is not the end all) (also I feel that I should say that I have all A's and 1 B+, so academics are not too hard), surrounding area (and campus) is dead on weekends, football is the best part of the school, and the students are very nice but they leave every weekend. YOU CAN DO BETTER TRUST ME

Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F