StudentsReview ™ :: Indiana University Bloomington - Comments and Student Experiences

Purdue University -- West Lafayette, IN

Indiana University Bloomington

I am currently a second semester freshman here

Feb 09 2014Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
I am currently a second semester freshman here at IU. This school definitely isn't what I thought it would be. I would have to say IU is a very overrated school. They say the business school is top notch yet I know many people in it that aren't the brightest... Classes here are way too large and not worth the amount of money we pay anually to attend this place. If you seek diversity in college, then this school isn't for you- everyone here is either from a suburb of Indiana or the outskirts of Chicago.This school is meant for those that thoroughly enjoy partying, and occasionally studying. Rushing a sorority here is hell. They say 87% of the girls will get a bid yet nearly 50% were left bidless. I am currently in the process of transferring and cannot wait to get out of this middle of nowhere.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: D+

I came here because

Nov 19 2013Journalism
I came here because...here is the deal: if someone else is paying for undergraduate education, an in-state school is the way to go. Why? Undergraduate degrees are basically worthless. I am an in-state student, but would never have gone to Purdue because...gross, very conservative and West Lafayette sucks. I did however get into both Rutgers and NYU. Both considerably more expensive than IU, obviously. So I came here, believing this would give me opportunities to learn and grow. However, that has not been my experience. I will say that I do not think it would be any better at any other university - but I can only speak for IU. IU is bureaucratic. As described by one of the few (very few) competent professors I have had here...administration sits up first class toasting with the finest champagne. It's great for them...and they hope us flying in coach are having a good time too, but "too bad, so sad" if we are not. I started as an English and Business major (I lasted a semester). In the English major, I couldn't believe the emphasis on poetry. Poetry. Can you imagine anything more worthless? I wanted to do creative writing, fiction. "Too bad, so sad" my advisor said. The degree is designed to squeeze money out of the bunch of students (guaranteed to show up every year) who have no clue what they want to do with their lives. The professors are pretentious snobs - and they make what 30K a year? Good for them, can you really call that success? No way. Meanwhile Kelley School of Business treats you like a progeny - but the reality is that unless you want to stay in the Midwest - good luck - that's all I can tell you. I never intended to stay in the Midwest - even Chicago would feel like unnecessary settlement. It's NY, LA, or San Fran or death. I mean that. But Kelley grads don't get jobs in those cities. Chicago is bloated with Kelley grads - but I'm not working my ass off to work in Chicago. The degree is ALL pain, NO gain. I switched to Journalism (advertising concentration) with a Theatre/Drama second concentration/minor. There a things I enjoy about it - however what technically sounds good on paper - doesn't function properly within these degrees. We have a few (very few) competent professors in the Journalism degree. Most of the "core courses" are useless, "busy work" bullshit classes. J110, J155, J200 all a BIG waste of my time. Especially J110 - Jeffery Cannon, a professor at this school is a regular professor for J110 and he is HORRIFICALLY bad. Imagine the worst professor possible and multiply it by 20. Yes, I'm not exaggerating. Theatre department is good - but is bloated with pretentious professors and students alike. People who like theatre because it's fun (it is, make no mistake - or at least it should be) are sometimes shown the door. Some professors should just post a sign on their door - serious thespians only. Just because I don't know all the Shakespearean terms, doesn't mean I can't enjoy theatre. Most of the good roles in the productions are reserved for MFA's. They say "no role is precast," but this of course isn't true as the same five-six actors fill the same roles every semester (and summer). I don't begrudge them for that - they deserve them - they paid for it after all.
4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Scholastic Success: F

IU is a very beautiful school, campus is

May 31 2013Sociology
IU is a very beautiful school, campus is gorgeous to say the least, but when pertaining to diversity their is a 4% black population which should have been an immediate red flag for me. I love diversity because it coincides with diverse thought, but when you are surrounded by a huge institution with others that can't relate to you, it's a very depressing feeling.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014