StudentsReview :: Assumption College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Assumption College

This is an extremely honest review - I'mBrightEnglish
This is an extremely honest review - I'm taking everything into account and not just focusing on negatives. Assumption was the best four years of my life and I wouldn't change it for anything. While the population is relatively small and pretty much the same, the people (students and faculty) are very welcoming and friendly. Everyone can find the right group for them at any school, you just have to put yourself out there and join activities and groups (easier said than done, I know).

The English/Sociology/Women's Studies departments are great. I always felt like I could talk to my professors about my problems and speak up in class. My only complaint would be that some tend to focus more on what they believe to be the most worthwhile and focus on their opinions instead of individual thoughts. Also, some classes for your major/minor/general education requirements might not be the most interesting to you and that you end up having to take. However, the thing to remember is that this is going to be true at every single campus, no matter what people say. Don't be afraid to change your major, just make sure that you try and figure out things with your counselor so you can get everything in that you need.

Some dorms are older and some are new - just like at every campus. As usual, they get nicer and more expensive as you get older. They have a great program where you can apply for the Living/Learning Center (an apartment style dorm starting in your sophomore year) based on your grades and activities. Freshman year especially, you have to remember that you're living in a college dorm. They are all pretty much standard and you learn to deal with what you have.

The food, just like the housing, is standard to any college. Assumption has Sodexo, so it's all pretty much the same. One particular favorite is the mac and cheese, and of course the breakfast. There's tons of stuff that you can have that's available every day - cereal, deli sandwiches made to order, pizza, pasta, soup, salads. It does get tiresome after a little while - people usually alternate between the dining hall and Charlie's (better food and less of a walk but more expensive), especially when it's raining.

There are a million activities that you can get involved in and meet new people. Each weekend at least one group holds some type of event on campus. They also have shuttle buses daily around Worcester (restaurants, downtown, Target/Stop and Shop, etc) and zip cars, but also have free shuttles to Blackstone Valley Shoppes and Solomon Pond Mall on the weekends. There are a ton of bars in Worcester and activities going on, you just have to make a little effort to find things out for yourself.

The thing that people have to remember, especially incoming freshmen, is that most people love to talk negatively about things. Assumption has similar flaws to most every college out there. What I believe sets it apart is the sense of community that you feel on campus. There is a huge sense of Assumption school spirit - everyone wears sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc. Most people love the school and are friendly. You can walk to class and say hi to many different people. You can find students laying outside on towels during nice weather. You can find people running around campus in the middle of the night when the Red Sox win the World Series. There are always problems at every school, but Assumption has one of the most welcoming atmospheres that I've ever experienced. I wouldn't trade my four years here for anything, and I haven't met a single alum that would say differently.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: B+
Hate living on campus, students and certain facultyBusiness - Management and Administration
Hate living on campus, students and certain faculty are extremely racist, I feel like I don't belong and I hate the course work and I feel like I'm wasting my time and money on a major that I probably won't have s future in because if everyone is acting this way in a class room I can just imagine how badly it'll go in internships sponsored by the school
I loved my time at Assumption.Quite BrightEnglish
I loved my time at Assumption. I loved the small, community vibe, the ability to form faculty and staff relationships, the willingness of faculty and staff to help you out (be it in or out of the classroom). I loved my peers and I loved being able to get involved and really see it make a positive difference on campus.

That being said - no one is going to make your fun for you. You're an adult. Any college will be boring if you let it be boring. Go join a club, go to a sports game, play intramural sports, get an on campus job - whatever! This really goes for anywhere. Do what you like, meet new people, and take advantage of any free opportunities the school offers you.

I also cannot speak highly enough about the location. Worcester is a great city, but you will hate it if you don't make the most of it. Assumption is tucked nicely on the west side, which is more suburban/rural-ish than the city center. It's absolutely beautiful. Yet, it is still part of Worcester and Worcester is great! There's good night life, excellent restaurants, and plenty to do. There's also 8-10 other colleges just in the surrounding area. Take advantage of that! Go to parties, concerts, etc and meet other college students. WPI has Greek life, Clark has put on great concerts, and Holy Cross has awesome outreach opportunities for you to collaborate with. Assumption is tiny but there are 30,000 other students your age within 10 minutes of you. Of course Worcester is no NYC or Boston, but luckily for us those big cities aren't too far of a car/bus/train ride away. Take advantage of that too! Assumption is also so close to Wachusett Mountain and this is awesome for when you want to get away from the city. I love hiking and skiing, so I took advantage of Wachusett throughout all the seasons. They have fun fall events going on, a nice place to get in a quick hike, or a great place to ski and snowboard in the winter and they give great deals to college students. Other big mountains in lower NH/VT aren't too far either.If you are expecting a "party school," just don't even bother attending. And I can say the same for a lot of other schools similar to us. Most small undergraduate institutions are not going to be like your rioting UMass/UConns of the country. Go to a big school if you want big school events or big school sports - it's that simple. That being said, many students still get away with having gatherings/parties. There are two upperclassmen areas on campus - the Valley and the Village and the Valley is notoriously known for seniors who like to stay up late and socialize. I lived there my senior year and it was an absolute blast. Because so many students from your grade live in the same area, it's a big community.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-
Compare AssumptionSave Assumption

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→