StudentsReview :: Assumption College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Assumption College

I loved my time at Assumption.Quite BrightEnglish
I loved my time at Assumption. I loved the small, community vibe, the ability to form faculty and staff relationships, the willingness of faculty and staff to help you out (be it in or out of the classroom). I loved my peers and I loved being able to get involved and really see it make a positive difference on campus.

That being said - no one is going to make your fun for you. You're an adult. Any college will be boring if you let it be boring. Go join a club, go to a sports game, play intramural sports, get an on campus job - whatever! This really goes for anywhere. Do what you like, meet new people, and take advantage of any free opportunities the school offers you.

I also cannot speak highly enough about the location. Worcester is a great city, but you will hate it if you don't make the most of it. Assumption is tucked nicely on the west side, which is more suburban/rural-ish than the city center. It's absolutely beautiful. Yet, it is still part of Worcester and Worcester is great! There's good night life, excellent restaurants, and plenty to do. There's also 8-10 other colleges just in the surrounding area. Take advantage of that! Go to parties, concerts, etc and meet other college students. WPI has Greek life, Clark has put on great concerts, and Holy Cross has awesome outreach opportunities for you to collaborate with. Assumption is tiny but there are 30,000 other students your age within 10 minutes of you. Of course Worcester is no NYC or Boston, but luckily for us those big cities aren't too far of a car/bus/train ride away. Take advantage of that too! Assumption is also so close to Wachusett Mountain and this is awesome for when you want to get away from the city. I love hiking and skiing, so I took advantage of Wachusett throughout all the seasons. They have fun fall events going on, a nice place to get in a quick hike, or a great place to ski and snowboard in the winter and they give great deals to college students. Other big mountains in lower NH/VT aren't too far either.If you are expecting a "party school," just don't even bother attending. And I can say the same for a lot of other schools similar to us. Most small undergraduate institutions are not going to be like your rioting UMass/UConns of the country. Go to a big school if you want big school events or big school sports - it's that simple. That being said, many students still get away with having gatherings/parties. There are two upperclassmen areas on campus - the Valley and the Village and the Valley is notoriously known for seniors who like to stay up late and socialize. I lived there my senior year and it was an absolute blast. Because so many students from your grade live in the same area, it's a big community.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-
I had a wonderful experience at Assumption College,Quite BrightBiology
I had a wonderful experience at Assumption College, and I honestly do not regret my choice attending this school, and I know that many of my fellow peers feel the same way. As with every school, the key is to make the most of what the school offers you, and there were ample opportunities for extracurricular activities, internships, and majors available at Assumption. It is just up to the individual to seek out these opportunities. I was involved during school, made good friends, and enjoyed my classes as a biology major. I was able to find a prestigious internship right after graduation through the Career Center, which ultimately led to my current job, which I am highly satisfied with.The only thing I suggest for any individual at any school is to complete one or multiple internships. They are highly important in gaining experience that you can't receive from a classroom from any school. The faculty at Assumption are helpful with career advice. They are approachable, and they have a general concern for their students and wish them the best. Even after graduation, I still keep in contact with some of my professors for career advice, recommendations, life updates etc. My peers were generally friendly and good people. Realistically, you will find good and bad people everywhere you go in life, and each experience at a school will be different and unique, but my experience at Assumption was only ever very positive both socially and academically, and I know that many of my peers who graduated with me would agree.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
Do you want to have a boring, depressing,Quite BrightChemistry
Do you want to have a boring, depressing, non-fulfilling year with poor academic quality and below average students? If so step right up and come to Assumption College where the social life is non existent, academics are a joke, the students act like they are still in high school, and the food will make you sick. Come to AssCo. for a complete waste of your time and money to have a useless liberal arts education that is pointless in the modern advancing 21st century. Prepare yourself for idiotic and obnoxious general education requirements, countless disappointing events, crappy facilities, the dead and cold city of Worcester and a horrible dorm life with horrible peers. I am so glad I am transferring. Whatever you do, do not step foot on this foolish excuse for a post-secondary academic institution. Leave while you still can!
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B, Education Quality: F

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→