StudentsReview :: Bard College Simon's Rock - Comments and Student Experiences

Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY
Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY
Southern New Hampshire University/New Hampshire College -- Manchester, NH

If you're a true liberal arts student, SRQuite BrightEnglish
If you're a true liberal arts student, SR is going to be the best education you can get. The work isn't easy, but it's very rewarding and you will always be challenged & cared for. You will never be isolated from your professors or your classmates - in fact, you really can't escape them. If you're not prepared to be held accountable for your own successes and failures, SR is not the place for you.

Socially, a 400 person school has its upsides and downsides. It's easy to meet people and make friends, but it's also easy to get caught up in the haze of emotional turmoil that radiates from this crucible of teenagers. If you're looking at college as a primarily social experience, you'll be disappointed here. However, Great Barrington is an amazing little town, it's always calming to walk around and grab some food.

The students who do best here are the ones who have a true intellectual curiosity (and followthrough), but who don't get caught up in the social role of "young intellectual/artist/creative thinker." Please really really assess your capacity for self-care & stability and your academic stamina before considering SR. If you're not 100% on either, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Since graduating, I've found no community half as stimulating as Simon's Rock is. I have no regrets in staying for 4 years, and I have the utmost respect for my teachers and peers I met while I was there.

Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F
Simon's Rock has changed my life for theBrightPhilosophy
Simon's Rock has changed my life for the better. Before coming to this school, I cared about a lot of things. But here I have learned the importance of hearing out other and different perspectives, of engaging with and internalizing those perspectives, and of questioning those beliefs that I held to be fundamental. It sounds a little intimidating, and sometimes it is, but this level of critical thinking is what ultimately guides one to have a complete understanding of why they believe what they do, and also to start to have a greater understanding and appreciation of those perspectives different from their own.

Faculty are outstanding, always genuinely caring about what their students think, and seeking to encourage thought.

Meaningful conversations with other students are frequent and exciting. Learning abounds, but so does fun. Time management is absolutely key here though, as is patience and the development of stress copping skills (the work load is immense).

Simon's Rock also provides ample opportunities for students to lead, organize, and gain real world skills, whether this is through creating a student club, working in the various offices on campus, or supporting other students through peer advocate positions, etc.

There are nearly endless opportunities to find advisers/mentors here as well.
The community of staff, faculty, and students is close knit and stimulating. I can't say enough positive about Simon's Rock! If you are ready for a true challenge, and ready to have your thinking challenged and developed, this is an important place to keep in mind. It is a leap of faith to come here, but it can yield incredible experiences that will change your world if you are open to that and willing to work through challenges that will inevitably arise. Overall, a wonderful place. I will almost certainly be staying for my B.A. degree.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
I am currently a sophomore at Bard CollegeQuite BrightOther
I am currently a sophomore at Bard College at Simon's Rock studying technical theater and stage management. I could not be happier with my decision to come to this school. In the year and a half that I have spent here I have learned so much not only about the field that I am studying but also about myself. I have made the best friends in the world as well as making great professional connections through my professors. The school is quite small and being a city girl at heart the size of the school is sometimes hard but it really is a great way to do your undergraduate degree because everyone knows you and you can't fall through the cracks of the system.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: A-