StudentsReview :: Bard College Simon's Rock - Comments and Student Experiences

Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY
Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY
Southern New Hampshire University/New Hampshire College -- Manchester, NH

I have a deep fondness for Simon's RockBrightPsychology
I have a deep fondness for Simon's Rock that ultimately compelled me to stay at the College for my Bachelor's degree study. I am now a junior, studying Psychology and Art History, still fascinated by my classes and content to know that I am in an environment and community that fosters a love of ideas, discussion, learning, and inquiry (in a small and intimate setting). Students interested in attending Simon's Rock should know that the academic expectations are high and the workload significant. More than anything, though, a student will get from Simon's Rock what they put into it. Those who lack self-motivation and the ability to find meaning in academics likely should not move forward in the application process. With that being said, however, it is true that many students who were disinterested in high school thrive here at Simon's Rock, since emphasis shifts from standardized testing and ample requirements to a more genuine value of learning and thinking. Expect to spend your days among interesting people, reading and writing quite a bit. Caring and engaged faculty abound and truly make the academic experience a unique and treasured one. Simon's Rock is a place where students can stand to learn a lot about themselves and the world. If you do attend Simon's Rock and find yourself struggling (academically and/or emotionally), don't lose heart. Remember what drew you here and how much this experience can really offer one (which is a lot). Know that there are resources and people to help you, but also that your experience will only be positive if you yourself are determined to make it so. Ultimately, it lies within the individual to re-kindle their appreciation for learning, but Simon's Rock can be a great aid in helping one realize this. Some points of advice:

~Do the reading for your classes whenever you can. It will make your academic experience tremendously more meaningful.

~Take classes that interest you. Even within the core curriculum, there is some space to tailor your classes to your interests. Take advantage of this.

~Make sure that you interact with people who feed your soul and mood, not those who will be a destructive presence.

~Get to know your professors. They are brilliant fountains of knowledge and wisdom and truly want you to learn.

~Keep warm. Bring lots of warm clothing, snow boots, a parka, mittens and gloves, flannel sheets, socks, etc. Also, a hot water heater/kettle (be sure it's automatic shut off) will enable you to have the delight of a warm cup of tea in your own dorm room.

~Attend the events and guest lectures that interest you. Though we are a small school, there are numerous opportunities to hear brilliant speakers on campus and off.

~Nurture your love of learning (don't lose it). Don't get bogged down by the work. Try to see it as an opportunity to push yourself in a healthy way that will ultimately show you what you are capable of.

~Remember always what a beautiful place Simon's Rock is. It will surely leave a lasting impact on who you are as a person.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B
Simon's Rock is exactly what I needed andQuite BrightPsychology
Simon's Rock is exactly what I needed and I'm so glad I go here. I was so unmotivated and burnt out in high school, Simon's Rock reminded me how much I actually love learning. I actually enjoy doing my work now! In high school it was literally unbearable for me but now I find it so interesting. The friends I've made here also really value learning and we often talk about the cool things were learning and discuss ideas outside of class. The cool thing too is that if you don't understand something, or need help in a certain area, there are so many people here that can help you. Each class has an assigned tutor that you can email or meet with for help. All professors also have office hours you can go to and they are also super reachable by email. Here you can really gain a personal connection with teachers since the classes are so small (rarely more than 20) and everyone is addressed on a first name basis. If you need help with organization you can get one on one help with that too. I really could not say more good about it here! I feel academically challenged and also supported by the community. There are so many interesting classes. The concentrations offered here require less credits than most majors which allows you to explore lots of different areas. That was really useful for me since I drastically changed my mind about the major I wanted to pursue. It was really great to be allowed (and even encouraged!) to take that wiggle room. And if we don't have the exact concentration you are interested in, you have the option to design your own too. I'm just so happy to be here!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B-
Since we are an early college that acceptsNot so brightMath
Since we are an early college that accepts students straight out of 9th,10th,11th and 12th grade, most students drop out high school to attend, and thus, most students do not receive high school diplomas, or even take SAT/ACTs.However, the school provides transportation to testing sites for those standardized tests as well as the GEDs and the GREs.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: A-
Compare BCSRSave BCSR

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→