StudentsReview ™ :: High Point University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arizona State University West -- Pheonix, AZ
University of Saint Francis -- Joliet, IL

High Point University

I went to a very liberal/ethnic/artsy/small/slightly poor hi

Mar 29 2014Business - Management and Administration
I went to a very liberal/ethnic/artsy/small/slightly poor high school. For college I wanted the opposite, and I haven't really enjoyed it. It's not terribly by any means, but the students tend to lean towards the "pretty/popular" crowd instead of the "realistic/down to earth" crowd. Kids here tend to be richer, religious, attractive, and middle of the barrel in terms of intelligence. The kids who aren't this way are rarely seen, since they basically huddle in small groups and shy away from the apparent ruling class here.

The school does seem to be making A LOT of progress in numerous problem areas. I'm currently at the end of Junior year and I have seen the university make SO much progress.

+Alcohol tolerance by security/officials is more tolerated (they actually served us alcohol at one of the dining locations last weekend!)

+Less parties being needlessly broken up
+Silly policies like no candles and curfews are being removed
+Tours are now talking more academics, less facilities
+School continues to overhaul programsIf I had to give an overall grade of this university freshman year, I would give it a C+. Now I think it's a B- and in 4 more years it easily will be a solid B school which is great.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: D
Mar 28 2014Communications

Greeks run wild. Tuition is ridiculous. Country club School for dumb rich kids

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

*READ THIS--DON'T ATTEND HPU* I just finished up

Jan 25 2014Business - Management and Administration
*READ THIS--DON'T ATTEND HPU* I just finished up my first semester at HPU and plan on finishing my freshman year here; with that being said I can't wait to transfer. Personally, this school is not for me for a number of reasons. For one the academics are an absolute joke, for me at least. Granted, I'm only a few weeks into my second semester but so far I have yet to be challenged nor was I challenged in the slightest first semester. As for the people saying the student body is a bunch of rich kids who just don't care, it's true to an EXTENT. I have found some great friends here at this school and it's going to be tough to leave them, however, it won't be so tough to leave the trust fund self absorbed derelicts (Biased, I know). As for life off campus, it's non-existent unless you like spending the day in a ghetto. Of course I have to comment on the social scene here. For a small school it truly isn't that bad. Every weekend consists of the same routine; go to a frat party and do the same thing over and over again which is going into a dark hot room with lights and dance. Centennial can be fun if the one house in the entire square decides to throw a party. Overall, the social scene revolves around greek life; if fraternities/sororities aren't for you then you have no chance at this school. I know I'm only a freshman so maybe I'm not giving HPU a fair chance but there's a reason so many people transfer. In the end, it's completely up to you where you attend school if you feel HPU is a fit for you then go just make sure you're not going for the campus and all the cool stuff they offer. Next year, I plan on being at a state school where I'll earn a degree with a much higher ROI and have fun while doing it. Just remember, HPU is far from "extraordinary."
1st Year Male -- Class 2017