StudentsReview :: Princeton University - Comments and Student Experiences

Princeton University

USNEWS WORLD'S BEST UNIVERSITIES

Apr 06 2013Unknown
USNEWS WORLD'S BEST UNIVERSITIES 2012: P is "#9", behind #1:

MIT, #3: Harvard, #7: Yale, #8: U Chicago.
USNEWS NATIONAL TOP UNIVERSITIES 2012: P is "#1".
Haha, rediculous! What is "P" good at? Medical school? Engineering school? Business school?

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: B, Surrounding City: F

Princeton is full of snobs who do not

Mar 08 2013Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
Princeton is full of snobs who do not like to share notes. I did not last one year at Princeton because I did not like the atmosphere and I was robbed at gunpoint. Let me share my story: I was walking home because I am a commuter and some guy a gun grabbed me from behind. I thought he wanted money so I threw my change at him. He pistol whipped me and demanded I take off my clothes. He took my clothes and ran away. It was very embarrassing to be seen naked and the snobby kids I mentioned earlier laughed at me and took pictures and sent them to other people. Now my future is ruined I can never get a job because of those pictures. Thanks Princeton!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

The campus is just beautiful, many students are

Dec 10 2013Chemistry
The campus is just beautiful, many students are friendly and bright, financial aid is generous if you're eligible; however, grade deflation has made the place unbearable and affected the learning and teaching. Grades are the focus rather than a proper education. Students don't collaborate and take classes that they shouldn't, so you have fluent speakers in a beginner's language class; students who passed advanced AP classes in intro science classes; taking classes over the summer somewhere else and retaking at Pton; dropping out of class when you see that too many "smart" people are enrolled. Faculty, including TAs, have no incentive to make sure that you grasp the content, so assignments don't include feedback or are returned when it's too late; content is tested that's not taught or tests are ridiculously hard (to make sure that not too many people do too well; remember there's a cap on A's); you have no clue where you stand because grading is on a curve at the end of the semester, so you could have a 90%,but if everybody else has a 95%, you still end up with a B or C, or you can have a 60% and get an A. Of course, by the time you apply for scholarships/internships or to grad/professional school or for a job, you realize that nobody knows nor cares that your Pton average GPA of 3.2 or 3.3 is "just as good" as Harvard's 3.5.

While some faculty are friendly and helpful, but some of the tenured faculty are downright abusive. However, because of "academic freedom" they get away with it. Non-tenured faculty are treated like crap. Google Antonio Calvo and see for yourself.The administrators are arrogant and hush up any kind of disagreement or negative experiences. There's no reason to change, whether it applies to the grading policy, abusive faculty, or whatever else because they know that there are enough suckers who still want to attend Princeton. Not sure whether Yale or Harvard would have been better, but at 200K, it wasn't worth it. If you work your butt off for 4 years, may as well have better options afterwards.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011