StudentsReview :: Stony Brook University - Comments and Student Experiences

Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Stony Brook University

Dec 07 2014Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm thankfully in a good program here. I have friends who are science majors who drown in work all the time. It's what they signed up for, but it's still rough.

In science, and especially math, courses, there's a very good chance your professor's English will be dreadful at best.

However, these programs are both difficult and good if you can handle the difficulty and get good enough grades for your next school if you're going to continue on.

The absolute horrendous part of this school is living here. I've tried finding ways I can make a 2.5 hour commute because it's so horrible. It's essentially a commuter school, and those who live on campus often leave for the weekends. The residence halls range from fine to disgusting and leave a lot to be desired. Housing is also competitive, so if you're stuck somewhere bad, there's a chance you'll be there the entire time you're on campus. Off-campus housing is also very difficult to find, so good luck trying to leave. Most people who live on campus are forced into a meal plan, and there is a food complaints page on facebook because of how horrible the quality of the food is and because of the frequency of food poisoning. Small portion sizes and moldy food are quite common offenders.

If you like partying, it's not so easy here. You have to get a ride to an unknown place from the frat guys and then take a taxi back. It's an expensive night, and you wait a long time for a ride both ways.

Overall, the academics are good. If you can come without having to live on campus, it's worth it. Living on campus is so horrible it makes me wish I never came at all. I love the opportunities I've gotten in my department, but nothing is worth living like this every day.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
Aug 29 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a suicide survivor. My family has questioned why, but after reading this they will know the answer. The only reason I went to Stony Brook is because I failed my SATs. I like to think of Stony Brook as my local walmart. You pay cheap money, you get a cheap roll of toilex. I learned this the hard way. They literally accept everybody irregardless of race, religion, intelligence, etc. It's like a rainbow up in here. Want to smoke marajuana? No problem! No need to apply to schools in Colorodo. Just come here. Be careful, Stony Brook is very good at false advertising. You know the saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Stony Brook is not exactly your Caribbean paradise. They food poison you and rip you off while doing it. Also, would you want to be in a class of 1000 with people you don't even like? Most of the classes are hard as hell. One time, I got out of a biochemistry exam whacked out of my mind almost got into a car accident. Don't get me wrong, I was a very good student. I graduated from the school with a honors degree. But that piece of toilet paper don't get you jobs in the real world. Lesson learned: don't ever put SBU on a resume even if you went. Stony Brook is haunted with ghosts literally. I know a few guys jumped off the Chem building and some the Physics building. Some did it in Roth. My Chem TA from freshman year who I dearly loved, I have no idea what happened to her. Said she offed herself or some shit. My best friend from high school was on the same boat as me. Graduated, can't find a job, disgraced his family. Next thing I know he booked a flight to the Grand Canyon. Lord knows what he did after that. Haven't heard back from him since, not even a text, so I'm presuming... Like damn son, you should've took me with you. But I prefer harakiri. Please don't come to this MFing school. Anyway this is YOUR life. If you end up one day on the top of the Chem building, not even spiderman can save you. I can only give you the knowledge that you deserve. You cannot censor me Stony Brook. I will forever be free to speak my mind.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Feb 06 2014Chemistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Find a school with great teaching.
Starting Job: Chemist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: F