StudentsReview :: Stony Brook University - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY
Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Stony Brook University

Feb 06 2014Chemistry

Find a school with great teaching.

Starting Job: Chemist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: F

I am a suicide survivor

Aug 29 2014Biology
I am a suicide survivor. My family has questioned why, but after reading this they will know the answer. The only reason I went to Stony Brook is because I failed my SATs. I like to think of Stony Brook as my local walmart. You pay cheap money, you get a cheap roll of toilex. I learned this the hard way. They literally accept everybody irregardless of race, religion, intelligence, etc. It's like a rainbow up in here. Want to smoke marajuana? No problem! No need to apply to schools in Colorodo. Just come here. Be careful, Stony Brook is very good at false advertising. You know the saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Stony Brook is not exactly your Caribbean paradise. They food poison you and rip you off while doing it. Also, would you want to be in a class of 1000 with people you don't even like? Most of the classes are hard as hell. One time, I got out of a biochemistry exam whacked out of my mind almost got into a car accident. Don't get me wrong, I was a very good student. I graduated from the school with a honors degree. But that piece of toilet paper don't get you jobs in the real world. Lesson learned: don't ever put SBU on a resume even if you went. Stony Brook is haunted with ghosts literally. I know a few guys jumped off the Chem building and some the Physics building. Some did it in Roth. My Chem TA from freshman year who I dearly loved, I have no idea what happened to her. Said she offed herself or some shit. My best friend from high school was on the same boat as me. Graduated, can't find a job, disgraced his family. Next thing I know he booked a flight to the Grand Canyon. Lord knows what he did after that. Haven't heard back from him since, not even a text, so I'm presuming... Like damn son, you should've took me with you. But I prefer harakiri. Please don't come to this MFing school. Anyway this is YOUR life. If you end up one day on the top of the Chem building, not even spiderman can save you. I can only give you the knowledge that you deserve. You cannot censor me Stony Brook. I will forever be free to speak my mind.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Starting Job: Chemist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: F

The infamous Stony Brook University

Oct 13 2013Public Health
The infamous Stony Brook University... where to begin...
First, I'll list the 'pros'. Please keep in mind the campus may have changed a lot since I graduated (2010).

Being a State school, Stony Brook is relatively affordable. It may get expensive if you stay on campus and once those mandatory student fees begin to accrue, but you can say that about any school. Tuition-wise, Stony Brook is affordable. In addition to be affordable, Stony Brook is a reputable school. The school is regarded highly in Research, and it continues to grow in prestige/ranking among the other top colleges. Stony Brook also has a decent-looking campus, which is large and has a lot of trees, even a duck pond in one of the quads. The campus has come a long way aesthetically; from an old bare campus without even a running track, to a school with a lot of new buildings and a beautiful new running track.

Now for the downsides...
First, let's speak academically. Stony Brook has some good professors who you can reach out to and some bad ones, like anywhere else. Unfortunately, many of the major professors do their best to "weed students out". Since many students want to enter medical school, professors in departments such as Chemistry try to make their exams as tricky as possible, which isn't their job. Their job is to teach students not 'weed them out'.

Now the campus: You would think a large campus is a good thing, unfortunately it isn't. You can have classes very far from each other, far from your dorm, and walking to it can be time consuming... at a major University, you need all the time you can get.

The student population is too large and the school is getting much too crowded. This makes the parking situation a headache. Most commuters have to park at South P. lot and wait for a bus to take you to the campus, it can get so crowded that you'll have to wait for several buses before finally getting on. The population is getting very crowded with mostly foreign exchange students from Asia who barely speak English and the concentration of these students is increasing each year.

As for the social life... Or lack thereof... Well, most students would agree Stony Brook is dead. The students have absolutely no school spirit... Many of the students are from Queens (if not Long Island) and they go home every single weekend like a bunch of homesick children. No one is friendly, and everyone walks around like they don't want to be bothered. Most social groups consist of cliques, such as "Fraternities and Sororities" and people of the same "Ethnic group" meaning all Indians somehow know each other and quickly become friends, all Asians, latinos, ducks, geese, etc... and they are extremely secluded.

While there are a lot of student clubs out there, it is hard to find out about things and the school does a bad job promoting events.

The area outside of Stony Brook is not too exciting either. Port Jefferson can be a little fun, and of course NYC if you don't mind commuting a few hours.

Well, these are the pros and cons of Stony Brook, of course experiences may vary.

5th Year Male -- Class 2010