StudentsReview :: Stony Brook University - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York/Binghamton -- Binghamton, NY
Albany State University -- Albany, GA

Stony Brook University

Oh Stony brook, finding some way to ruinQuite BrightBiology
Oh Stony brook, finding some way to ruin my day everyday. I am a female student about 40 minutes away from this prison, and was a great student throughout high school and had no problems getting into this school. the only problem is the fact that I got in. I never wanted to go here because of its distance and I like driving and wanted a school close enough to drive to everyday. I think it clears the mind a little bit to be in the car by yourself and do what you want. I also didnt want to dorm, the whole point of staying close was to save money. So the distance thing was an issue and already turned me away from the school, but I still decided to look into it. It was pretty hard to find something positive on it, to be honest. At the end of senior year, I had to make my decision, and it wasnt sbu but my parents made me go. They forced me to go to a school that I didnt want, and i'll always hate them for that. I told them no, and the next day they fucking put the deposit down for me. I swear i didnt come home for a week, but thats besides the point. As a side note, please always advocate for yourself. Now I'm stuck in this shit hole of a place and Im sure anyone else's parents wouldnt have been so rash about it and more open to actually hearing what their kid wants.I relaxed a bit and tried to have a positive attitude about it. The first day of class comes by, i leave my house early. On the drive there, I'm sweaty as hell and almost got into three accidents. Not to mention my full tank of gas was no where near full by the end of the day. The parking was a nightmare, and considering how early I had woken up and left my house, I couldnt even imagine what it would be like it I didnt make it on time. I got so lost and couldnt move for a while, all i saw was blank faced asians walking around mumbling the fundamental theory of calculus or some shit. I've been here for one year and I am so ready to leave. Its been the same trash all day. Yeah ive joined some clubs but theyre so poorly run by students that I quit. Computer room and library are filled to the brim at all times, these god damn people are so obsessed with their grades that they cant go home at a reasonable time. They probably sleep there. But ill ask to use it and they ignore you. How rude is evetyone here? Its beyond me why this school has racked up so much hype. I'm sure it was as good as others make it sound about 20 years ago... they've accepted too many foreign kids and it got WAY to huge. The second class is over, I get in my car and drive the fuck away. That's not what a college experience should be like. But thats how it is for me, and im sure a bunch of other kids. Im transferring out to a private school next semester. Hopefully all my credits will transfer but most likely will not. i never wanted to transfer, why does stony brook have to be so awful. If it werent, I'd stick it out and dealt with it and i would stop holding this grudge against my parents, who by the way i guarantee didnt even try to do any research before ruining my life. Guys im warning all of you, PLEASE be cautious. YOu are NOT entering a fun and happy place, instead you've got depression and pretty trees in the fall. thats probably the best thing they got here. I dont eat from what they offer here, thankfully i pack my own lunch, because who wants to wait half an hour for the wrong order that will likely food poison you in the process. You've been warned. Im always an accepting person and try to find the positives in life. Instead I got the worst college experience and am ready to start over in a new school.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Education Quality: F
Oh, where do I begin.Not so brightChemistry
Oh, where do I begin. in 1 1/2 years here so far, i've had almost the complete opposite of what many call the "college experience." but let me start off with the pros, since there are a few.

there's no denying stony brook's academic prestige, especially for pre-med and engineering students. its research reputation continues to grow, and its education value, considering it's relatively cheap, is very good. the professors, for the most part, also seem to be friendly and willing to help you individually. well, that's about it. now for the cons.

addressing academics again, although it's quality education, some exams are just so painfully hard and can take up countless hours of studying that is totally not worth it. but if that's all you care about then you'd have a blast here. but unfortunately there are many more problems.

probably my biggest disappointment about this school is the dorm life. i came in expecting to meet a lot of people on my floor and hang in the lounge, party, watch television, etc. i have never spent any time with the people outside my suite in my entire time here, and no one goes in the lounge except to study. i've heard that the corridor styles are more social, but they have no AC and can be unbearably hot. so for on-campus housing you have a choice of a nice cool dorm with no friends or a scorching one with possibly some friends. quite the decision. but if i could do it again i'd probably go with the corridor style. that's how bad the dorm life is here.

next we have social life and school spirit. i never would have thought this was even possible, but the overall mood here is even more depressing than my high school. there is absolutely no school spirit, which is one of the things i was really hoping would change coming to college. of the insane amount of asians here, most of them hang with their own kind and refuse to interact with anyone else. and everyone else seems like they already know each other or just spend all their time in their room playing video games. also this is mostly a commuter school and a lot of people who dorm go home on the weekends for some reason, leaving nothing to do but stay in your dorm. the weekends are so dead that whenever i go outside it feels like the apocalypse. parties are also pretty much nonexistent, unless you literally go out hunting for them. almost all of them are off campus and not within walking distance, which means you have to either call a cab or hitch a ride from a complete stranger. other than that, parties here happen as often as Halley's comet. i don't know why but i thought that college, "the best years of your life" would be more exciting.

as for extracurricular activities, i'm sure its possible for you to find a club you enjoy and make friends and have a good time. but boy, do they make it hard. they do a terrible job at promoting clubs or activities on campus and for the few clubs i have joined, they aren't very well run.

the food on campus is mediocre at best, and overpriced. it also gets very repetitive. there are a couple of good places but of course they are the most expensive. so the food is edible, but don't ever expect a gourmet meal.stony brook wasn't my first choice. but considering the money situation and my academic interests, i decided this school made the most sense. following the pretense of every college being fun and full of parties, i came with a lot of hope, spirit and optimism, and have been drained of almost all of it. i'm gonna use whatever i have left to get through this spring semester, and when it's over, barring a miracle turnaround in my mood, i'm getting the hell out of here. i wish i knew all of the things i know now before i came here. if i got to do it all over again, i would've avoided this school at all costs. and unless you're a total nerd who hates social interaction, having friends, and going to parties, i suggest you do the same.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Scholastic Success: F
Stony Brook is an academically well know university.BrightEconomics
Stony Brook is an academically well know university. I went a community college my first 2 years and transferred right after as a commuter. The thing about Stony Brook is that it is academically challenging school. The social life is not good unless you know someone with party connects other wise you are going to be bored especially if you on campus. Out of the 30K students that go to Stony Brook I would say a good chunk on them are commuter students. If you are looking to be challenged in your field of study be prepared because this school is tough and expects you to be on top of your work. I made the mistake of taken my school work for granted my first year and had a sub 2.0 GPA, they placed me on academic probation and gave me a semester to bring my GPA up or get suspended out. As your academic career continues be sure to take classes that interest you and visit the career center they are very helpful and want to see you succeed. The campus is beautiful especially in the fall when the leaves change. The only thing that I did not really like is that the school is about 50% international students mostly from Asia. I'm not against Asians but I couldn't understand them when they were in groups and it makes you an outsider.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017