StudentsReview :: Lehigh University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Southwestern Louisiana/University of Louisiana -- Lafayette, LA

Lehigh University

Lehigh University was one of the most challengingQuite BrightEngineering Department
Lehigh University was one of the most challenging and rewarding 4 years of my life in retrospect. I graduated 22 years ago and my Lehigh network and the reputation of the school has helped me to rise to a top position in a Fortune 50 company.

For the people who are complaining, I have to wonder where you would actually be happy. Lehigh is a beautiful campus, it has intelligent but largely conservative and down to earth students, amazing academics and facilities, Patriot league athletics, and amazing parties.

The town has always been a little shady, but we never had any problems with off campus life the few times we left.

Fraternities and sororities did dominate the social scene back then, but that appears to have adapted from what I have observed. The campus is more beautiful now with significant investment. There is also a far more equal ratio of men to women than the 90s. Women were also treated with respect within the fraternities as I saw, this was never a degrading environment as we would not tolerate that. I was president of my 40 member house and we were a tight group who helped each other out and kept a beautiful house together for 4 years.

The only complaint I had is that it was expensive and I was not rich, while a lot of kids were. I took a lot of loans out and paid them out in my early 30s as I always had decent paying jobs.If you are smart, work hard and play hard, this is your school.

Starting Job: Production Manager; Preparedness: A Reputation: A
Lehigh is rich, white, and conservative.Quite BrightEconomics
Lehigh is rich, white, and conservative. Are there students that attend Lehigh who do not fit this category? Of course. But they are stigmatized by the rich, white, and conservative, and their numbers are tiny compared to this group. The top of the food chain at Lehigh is made up of "frat stars" and incredibly fake sorority girls. The men, or I would say boys, that I had the displeasure of coming into contact with were rude, sexist, and immature. The guys of the school refer to the girls as "sluts" pretty much just for being girls. The girls also take the disrespect graciously and use all of their energy trying to make their sororities look the "hottest" and "most fun" to please the disrespectful frat boys. It's absurd and if you have any hope for equality in the world at all in respect to race, sex, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status please stay far away from Lehigh. It is a close-minded place where disgusting frat parties are held above everything else. Although, the professors I had had been wonderful, but in my opinion that's still not worth continuing on for 3 years in this sort of toxic, anti-intellectual student society.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A, Innovation: F
If you want a disconnected student body, fullBrightElectrical Engineering
If you want a disconnected student body, full or raging parties, drug abuse, systematic rape, alcoholism, and friendlessness, come to Lehigh. There are some people completely crazy for this place, some people not too crazy for it (plus a few weirdo crazies). Downtown Bethlehem is not a safe place, so the only things to do on weekends are go to frat houses and drink yourself to death. Also note, weekends begin on Wednesdays and end on Mondays at 4am. They tried creating a program called "Lehigh after dark," but very few people take part, and those who do take part arent the kind of people you wanna be around.

The first year classes are all weed outs, so if you do come, god help your soul, take all your AP credits. There arent many decent places to study. Dorms are loud, and the libraries are literally as far as possible from the dorms. The campus has no center, and the rigidly steep mountain slope creates a literal disconnection between the student body.

Food isnt anything special, youll grow weary of it after a month of two.
The student body is very homogenous; mostly white, upper class people from New Jersey, "right outside of philly," or other places in the northeast. The student body is hostile to foreigners, especially asian students. A year ago someone left an animal head on the front steps of the "UMOJA" house (the dorm dedicated to foreign students/non drinkers).

If you like drugs, alcohol, weed, and forgetting most of your week, hope aboard. If youre not into that, save yourself the trouble and dont apply.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Scholastic Success: F
Compare LehighSave Lehigh

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→