StudentsReview ™ :: Lamar University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX

Lamar University

Lamar University has some merits, being that it

Aug 12 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Lamar University has some merits, being that it is close to my home. However, for the amount of money that I am paying to attend Lamar University every semester, I feel that the standard of education that I am receiving should be raised, as should the standards of professors. A friend of mine described Lamar as "The place where intellectuals go to die." and I would agree with them.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

Alas, while I was hoping for more, this

Jul 07 2013Engineering Department
Alas, while I was hoping for more, this school is merely average in every category, save for one key exception: academic rigor. In this regard, the school is below average. I am an out-of-state engineering undergrad and had heard from friends that the engineering program was solid at Lamar, but not too challenging. Having completed my second year, and having received all A's in my math and science courses, I feel the rigor at Lamar pales in comparison to engineering programs from my home state, California, especially compared to California's UC's.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Education Quality: D

I've lived in Bmt practically my entire life,

Jun 11 2013Psychology
I've lived in Bmt practically my entire life, Lamar is the place to go if you want a decent education. All the professors I've had are usually helpful and want students to learn. Although the Psychology department is not well-known, all of the professors are extremely knowledgeable in the courses. Their doors are always open to talk to their students especially about research. A lot of the people that attend Lamar are students who live nearby, or their from Houston. The school is doing a great job attracting students out of state and internationally to attend the university, which overall the university is pretty diverse. Overall the school lacks on campus activities and the feel of a "college experience." However, most people come to Lamar because it is affordable and its an easy commute to go school, while working. If you expect to find a successful job after graduating, or going to graduate school first, remember that its all of a matter of how much of an effort you put in during your undergraduate years.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015