StudentsReview :: Lamar University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX

Lamar University

Let me explain a few things.Quite BrightEnglish
Let me explain a few things. Of the now four semesters I have spent at Lamar University, I am nearly certain that maybe three of my professors were even remotely intelligent enough to lead the class. I had English professors that use improper forms of than/then, and I'm sorry you are a college-level professor, I expect perfection. I had history teachers that taught wrong information, and then were upset when I was able to prove their ignorance privately and not in front of other people. Again, you're a college-level professor of history; I should not be educating you. I expect perfection. I paid $20k a year to do my own education. Most of the information I received was through my own research, not from intellectuals spreading their knowledge. There are specific professors who were outstanding and deserve far better places of employment than Lamar University. Dr. Boone in the History department, and Dr. Blackwell-Starnes in the English department were by far the most intelligent women I have ever come across in my life.

Campus security? Joke. This sprawling campus is smack dab in the middle of the ghetto. And I mean section 8 housing surrounds it, crack heads on the streets leading into campus, and gunshots are heard frequently. They also posted warnings that students were being mugged just off-campus. So there's that. The emergency poles on campus? Rarely working. And they legitimately posted signs saying "if you're being attacked, press the button and wait for assistance." Uh...that adds up.

The advising staff? Also a joke. I did my own advising the entirety of my academic career, and did it perfectly. Until I got a new advisor every single semester. They changed it constantly, because they had a revolving door of employees. They can't keep anyone talented enough to do the job well. So I got stuck with a moron who wrote my plan ON MY DEGREE AUDIT and then magically forgot that we had ever spoken in person. He made me jump through hoops just to enroll. I mean excessive.

The classrooms were old, falling apart. Ceiling tiles were missing, wires were hanging out of the walls and sconces, the carpet was torn and degraded on the steps in the auditoriums. It was absolutely not worth the money I paid. I cannot believe this place gets federal funding. It absolutely baffles me. I am transferring away from the college because having Lamar on my resume is going to hurt when I'm up against people who went to amazing schools. When I enrolled, I was so hopeful. I thought Lamar was amazing and was so excited. But no. The curriculum is high school equivalent at best, with very little to challenge you unless you take speciality courses with the few amazing professors. Don't waste your scholarships, grants, or loans here. It's a worthless education that you don't even get in exchange for payment. Do NOT waste your time, effort, or money. Seriously. A Junior College would teach you more than this place.

3rd Year Female -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Wouldn't bring a dog to shit here.Quite BrightMechanical Engineering
Wouldn't bring a dog to shit here.This school and it's outdated technologies, hillbilly employees, inattentive professors and marijuana-diluted students is the worst place I could've ended up. I transferred from UH, had zero choice in the matter, and after a year here - I am beyond pissed about it. The employees at this school are some of the worst, their intelligence, common sense, and daily work of the only thing they are responsible for is anything but active. It's actually almost like they want you to be as mentally pathetic as they are with all of the trash mandatory advising they try to shove down your throat - which inevitable winds you up in a bind. Don't even think about coming here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: C, Faculty Accessibility: F
I would not recommend Lamar University to anyone!Not so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
I would not recommend Lamar University to anyone! The campus is situated in a high crime rate neighborhood. Students are victims of assaults and robberies on a regular basis. Reported use of drugs by some students in the dorms are ignored by both campus police and administration. The school may be diverse, but the students living on campus are segregated. The ?smart students? live on one side of the campus and the jocks and ?not so smart students? live on another side. Then, they have the foreign students who have been placed at another location on campus. I notice one particular dorm that seems to have a majority of one ethnic group. When I question one of the student workers about it his reply was, ?that's because most of them are athletes and they have low grades?.

Compared to other Texas colleges, the dorms are terrible and the bedrooms are the size of matchboxes. And if you want to be treated like an adult, find somewhere else to go. They literally pick each class for you major and your basic requirements! You really don't have much of a choice. And if you should miss a class on their plan, you may have to wait another year before the class becomes available again.

Their financial aid is also problematic. To create the illusion that the school is cheap to attend, they will not provide full financial aid-grants and loans to any student. You have to find outside sources to fund the balance. I had to take out private loans because they would not let me take out the full amount of the subsidized and unsubsidized students loans I am entitle to! So, now I have to pay a higher interest rate!

Fortunately for me, I knew how to write before I started attending Lamar University. Many of the students are struggling with that skill even after four years of "studying" here.

Just a word of caution. This is how they treat their veterans! Run the other way!

4th Year Male -- Class 2017