StudentsReview :: Rice University - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Rice University

May 13 2014Language - French/Spanish/etc.

Demanding academics in a supportive social environment. Students are brilliant!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B

Coming to Rice was

Oct 01 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Coming to Rice was the best decision I ever made. The people are incredible, the residential college system is spectacular and the classes are great.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
University Resource Use: A+, Surrounding City: B+

Most carefree four years of my life

Jul 17 2012History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Most carefree four years of my life. I loved everything about Rice University. This is the school where what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I was active in my college (Jones College - JIBA!!!) and worked in the Student Center so I got to meet a lot of people in my college and in other colleges. There are lots of opportunities to get involved with clubs, intramurals, campus work opportunities, and social events on campus.

The academics are definitely rigorous but manageable if you budget your time well, but I was a history major and can't speak for science and engineering folks. I graduated top of my class in high school and got a respectable 3.7 GPA in my four years at Rice. There are tons and tons of very smart people on this campus, and I actually felt a lot less pressure than I did in high school, probably because I knew I couldn't be the best. There were times I could have studied harder, but looking back, I have absolutely no regrets. I still keep on touch with my history professor who inspired me in his teaching and mentoring abilities.Rice isn't for everyone. The average Rice student is very intelligent, slightly socially awkward, friendly, open-minded, and especially a bit quirky. It's not the place to go if you are a party animal or a total study nerd. Remember, in my time, we would say, "Here at Rice, we work hard and play harder." I am proud that Rice is consistently at the top when it come to happiest students and the quality of life. It is the closest I have been to utopia.

4th Year Male -- Class 2001