StudentsReview :: James Madison University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

James Madison University

JMU is simply not right for me, as

May 27 2014Sociology
JMU is simply not right for me, as the things I need from my education is not provided at JMU. I am introverted; I need smaller classes. I chose JMU for the vast opportunities to grow. Instead, I feel unimportant and unable to rise to the top. Leadership opportunities are hard for me to find as there are so many people.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

JMU is an interesting place, to be sure

Jul 11 2014Business - Management and Administration
JMU is an interesting place, to be sure. i see it as a microcosm of everything one can hope to expect from a public university. You will meet every conceivable type of person here, staff and students. You may sit between the trust-funded Fraternity brother from Northern Virginia on the left and the artsy-introverted girl from Massachusetts on your right. The odd thing about JMU, you could wind up getting along wonderfully with both. Friendliness is key and you get what you give. Professors, like students run the gamut from the ones that will move heaven and earth to see their students pass, to the ones that will merciless crush your dreams with a smile (ratemyprfessor is going to be your best friend). I came in knowing i wanted to be in marketing and the program is phenomenal, i am definitely being challenged and the career resources are competitive but certainly abundant. Housing is only guaranteed for freshman year but off-campus townhomes, houses, and apartments are affordable and varied (its a buyers market and rent goes from about $300 up to $600 monthly). Food is everything they say it is, delicious and available in amazing variety; we have at least 7 different places to eat not including coffee shops and snack bars. The social life is what you make of it. There are plenty of parties most weekends and a bus system to get you to and from them. joining Greek life isn't necessary but if you find an organization that likes you and you can afford it, there is no reason not to. On a final note, the traffic and parking situation are definite problems, all upper class-men bring their vehicles and there aren't nearly enough spots
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C

I transferred to James Madison University for the

Feb 18 2014Nutrition
I transferred to James Madison University for the Spring 2014 semester and lived off campus, expecting to have the time of my life and meet many new faces. I was only able to experience this school for a mere three weeks so keep that in mind when taking this review into account.

My director for my health program incorrectly informed me of my required classes to apply for this health program, which I was not informed of until I had moved to the school and signed a lease. Word of warning, drill every adviser you can with questions until you are 100% sure if you are a transfer. This is what caused me to withdraw, I refuse to pay a school for an extra year and a half for their own incompetence.

Onto my perception of the campus...it's beautiful but this school is not commuter friendly in the least. Good luck finding a parking space after paying the 110 dollar (WTF) commuter parking pass. Someone has clearly made an error in the parking logistics department, as I would typically spend thirty minutes driving around looking for a parking space EVERY DAY. The parking garage is a safety hazard at best, being completely full 99% of the time. If you require us to pay for a pass, then you are required to provide ample parking space for all.

The buses would routinely fill up at one stop, not allowing many students to board thus having to wait for a second bus.

The parking is not the only logistics horror, as the gym is PACKED almost all day. The size of this gym is laughable given the amount of tuition money flowing into this school. Want to relieve stress by lifting weights? Good luck, all three rows of dumbbells were taken up by kids daily. As a part time personal trainer I almost vomited at the sight of this routine circus act.

The people at this school were generally friendly, though don't expect much in the way of diversity as others have stated. Basically, if you are a white female sorority clone, you will have the freaking time of your life...and possibly get raped...just saying.

A little about myself, I'm a 22 year old white good looking male that can get along with just about anyone...and I do not have a short fuse when it comes to stress. I loved the food and gorgeous girls (seriously, so many attractive girls) but this school has major flaws that need to be addressed and I do not suggest it for a transfer student. If you come to this school into dorm life right out of high school I can see the benefits of that route.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016