StudentsReview :: James Madison University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

James Madison University

I will start by saying that the GeographicQuite BrightGeography and Geosciences
I will start by saying that the Geographic Science program at JMU is fantastic, with a lot of very down to earth professors and students. Classes are taught in a warm environment, and it feels almost too good to be true. As a matter of fact, the whole science department is growing and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it becomes tough competition with Virginia Tech pretty soon. Now for the school itself, I can't complain. It's got good food, a good bus system, things to do on and off campus, and a good girl to guy ratio. Some of the students though, especially a lot of the "frat guys" can be very arrogant and obnoxious though. There isn't a lot of diversity within the student body, so there are quite a few of these types of people. Student body is very good looking too, so if you're average looking like myself, you may at times feel very self-conscious. In terms of how the students care about school, it really varies. I've met a lot of very motivated individuals, but also quite of few that are the opposite. While I did get into Virginia Tech, I chose JMU over it because I felt more comfortable on the campus and it is more affordable. Now, midway into my sophomore year, I am happy about that decision, yet slightly curious to know what it would've been like if I had gone there, and if I would've had a better experience there. All in all though, JMU is a decent school.
more→Jan 05 2015
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: D
I really love JMU.Quite BrightEnglish
I really love JMU. The students are incredibly friendly. Everyone always opens the door for each other, and it's easy to strike up a conversation with anyone you want. I'm a fairly shy person, but, I love the caring atmosphere. I honestly feel like I could talk to most anyone and it would be received with kindness.

The professors genuinely care about their students; for example, in one of my General Education classes this past semester, my English professor (out of a class of 200+) emailed a few people who had made high marks, or made an effort to improve their grades and better understand the content. It was great to see that he didn't view us as numbers, and appreciated the effort students put into the class.

There's plenty of things to do on campus, with over 300 clubs. I myself am not too into partying, but I know that there are plenty of opportunities to get into extracurricular activities.Overall, I love my school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

more→Dec 28 2014
Individual Value: A+, Innovation: F
I just don't likeBrightCommunications
I just don't like it here much. Trying to skate by having the 'normal college experience', but it's so dull. Would not recommend unless you're into fratty rich kids.
more→Nov 06 2014