StudentsReview :: Washington and Lee University - Comments and Student Experiences

Washington and Lee University

To me Washington and Lee is the perfect

Jun 18 2014PreMed and Medical
To me Washington and Lee is the perfect balance between challenging, constructive academic learning and fun parties/girls. Everyone has a work hard mentality on campus during the day, but everyone is friendly and only competitive in a positive way. At night however, after the work is done for the day, the town lights up like you would never imagine. No one I know would dream of going to another university, and I know that this is the best place for me.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B

I LOVE W&L!!!

Sep 11 2012Undecided
I LOVE W&L!!!
As an international student, I don't feel isolated or adrift because most people here are really friendly and approachable, from students to professors to staffs. This is my first time abroad, so friendliness is really important to me. And the school is so much more caring than I've expected! There is not only one but three orientations: international orientation (which is for international students like me), pre-orientation (one week of bonding and making friends who might become your BFFs), and orientation. These orientations help me become ready for college more than ever!I have just begun my study for a few days, so I have nothing much to say about the academics. Yet I love my econ class soooooo much! Prof. Peter is soooo great!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: D

I came into W&L thinking that it would

Aug 14 2013Political Science
I came into W&L thinking that it would be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I grew up attending alumni events with my dad and fell in love with the school at a very young age. I fit the profile: white, well-off, southern, socially adjusted and smart. Freshman year was fun. Everything is new and all the upperclassman want to know you. You really do feel special. The novelty wears off sophomore year, however. I have become very bored with the social life. I'm in a very respected sorority and have tons of social opportunities, but I am very disappointed with the dynamics of the social scene. Girls are catty and boys always have an agenda with girls. The guys are pretty cool, but the girls are pretty blah-cool ones are few and far between. Its a lot like my high school. The social scene revolves around freshmen and sophomores. The older you get as a female, the less fun W&L becomes. I have also been very discouraged by professors and academics. Professors are generally arrogant and make you feel very small. W&L is a great school and has its perks. Lexington is beautiful, the alumni network is top notch, and I will say, no one knows how to have a good time quite like W&L students. My advice is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Its not going to be the perfect college experience you envisioned in high school. Sometimes its really great, but other times it really sucks. Even if you fit the profile, if you're not the cookie cutter "type-A" girl, good luck.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015