StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

1200
Intelligence
Academic Success
C+
She rated most things higher than other students did.
Major: Industrial Design (This Major's Salary over time)
SCAD is a love it/hate it experience. I meet people who complain for hours about how "terrible" the administration is, and how much they over charge students and waste money. But I've got news for them, that's how school administrations work. While we, as students, would love to get free supplies and silve-leafed lightboards, it's more beneficial to us for our administration to suck up to Fortune 500 companies and various investors. As bad as it looks, they're only doing what a school needs to do to build a good reputation and open up career opportunities to its students.

Personally, I love SCAD and I'm very confident in the opportunities I will have when I graduate. All of my classes are challenging, and while projects feel like pointless busy work at the time, once you finish you realize that you learned a lot from the struggle that you wouldn't have if the teacher had just told you up front what to do.

While assignments have strict guidelines, they are conceptually open-ended so you do have a lot of creative freedom, provided you learn how to make sure those wild deviation apply to the assignment.

Much like students' opinion of the school, the students themselves are very 50/50. You have either the snooty, arrogant, prat who things they have nothing to learn from anyone and only wants to drink and do drugs all night. Or, you have the workaholic artists who want to learn absolutely everything about their major and who will settle for nothing but the best. If you are the first one, you will fail SCAD, if you are the second, you'll be amazed with what you'll learn. There are very few exceptions.

For all the rumors about Savannah being unsafe, I have had no personal experience with violent crime, and I feel totally safe walking around downtown anytime of day. Maybe I'm naive, but I really believe people are just being drama queens.

SCAD is expensive. If you don't think you can afford it, good luck. The most common reason I see people drop out here is due to financial problems. They offer up to $10,000 in scholarships and there is financial aid, but I don't know how reliable it is. I threw my portfolio together at the last possible moment, it have some really crappy work in it, but I still got the full $10k easily. Also, I should mention that I was accepted at 4 other schools all across the country, and once my scholarships from each were deducted from their cost, all 5 of them were the same price. So for all the smack people talk about the cost of the school, it's totally on-level with other high ranking schools in America.