StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Alumni Survey

Intelligence
Major: Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
I would caution those looking into higher education at SCAD to look elsewhere. I attended SCAD for 2 years while securing my BFA in Graphic Design. The school has great facilities, the latest software and technology and several satellite campuses for study abroad. But be warned, all these things are just smoke and mirrors for extraordinarily high tuition and poor education.

I had previously attended a community college for my Associate's degree, so I feel I have something to measure my SCAD experience against. While at community college I felt challenged. Not only by the faculty, but also by my fellow students. My community college prepared me for my next steps, helping me research several schools to continue my education and helping other students secure jobs.

This is what I thought I would find at SCAD. But to the contrary, I found faculty that is discouraged from properly critiquing and grading students. More than once, I witnessed students cry their way to better grades and come up with some of the lamest excuses for deadline extensions. And it's not the faculty's fault, the school's motto is "the student is always right." This attitude creates a lax environment for friendly competition between classmates, and in turn prevents student's from pushing their creative boundaries.

I put in all 2 years at SCAD thinking college is what you put into it, but was I wrong. When it came time to graduate I was given little direction on what I should do after SCAD. Their job board is a joke, especially for a boy from the North (most of their employment opportunities are in GA and FL.) When I finally found a job, I wasn't prepared and basically had to learn simple things that were never explained at SCAD. And if this review sounds bitter...it should. I'm in student loan debt to the tune of $70,000. I thought by paying a premium for my education I would get a leg up, instead I still feel like I'm playing catch up with my contemporaries from less expensive colleges.