StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

Intelligence
Faculty Accessibility
B
Useful Schoolwork
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Major: Music - Composition/Theory (This Major's Salary over time)
Heres my opinion about college in general - especially pertaining to world of Film & Digital Media because thats where all my experience is. You can take it or leave it.

SCAD (or college) gives you the opportunity to learn the skills and knowledge necessary to enter the field you want to go in to. For example, I am majoring in Sound Design with the end goal of getting a job as a sound designer/game audio artist in the game industry. Once you have your goal it is up to YOU wether you achieve this goal. I see too many people blame the school for their lack of success or "learning".

SCAD is an extremely good place to learn your craft, collaborate, and network. One of the things I am most thankful for at SCAD is the opportunity to network not only in my major, but also with other majors and earn a good reputation with them.

I also see a few comments about some classes not giving enough instruction for learning software and you're generally expected to learn it yourself. Well truth is, software is always changing, always updating, and you are going to have to learn on your own in the future anyways when you're not a school. Class time can be used much more efficiently than doing a step by step instruction that could be done outside of class in a tutorial anyways.

My final comment(s)/advice about SCAD is in reference to job searching and career services. Once again, you have to expect to do work yourself. A career advisers job is not to make your resume, write your cover letter, tie your tie, and get you a job. They will give you valuable advice and possibly some contacts. From there you need to do the work. I refined my resume and cover letters a lot through them as they tore it apart.

Lastly, treat every project you do with as much effort as you can. Many students have the mindset of "this isn't my senior thesis or my senior project so I don't have to put that much work in to it". Students who take their projects very seriously from year one tend to be the ones with outstanding work and getting jobs come senior year.

Hope this advice helps. I know it may sound a little harsh but I'm just putting it as I see it. :)

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI