They claim to have an audition process. Really?! I auditioned, submitted letters of recommendation, personal refe"/> They claim to have an audition process. Really?! I auditioned, submitted letters of recommendation, personal refe"/>
StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Survey is Blank

Describes the student body as: Afraid, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Snooty, Closeminded

Describes the faculty as: Arrogant, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

SAT:
1250
Intelligence
Average
Campus Maintenance
A
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Major: Perfomance Arts (This Major's Salary over time)
>I am embarrassed to admit that I attended this "school".
There may not enough words to describe my anger, frustration, and utter contempt for this organization, but I will try.
>They claim to have an audition process. Really?! I auditioned, submitted letters of recommendation, personal references, photos of performances and technical work, and a professional resume that dates back 10+ years. I was told my audition went well and was accepted a few days later. However, the truth is; The Performing Arts Dept lets anyone in. That is, if they have enough money to attend SCAD. Asking around revealed that many of my classmates never did an audition, nor had many of them ever been on stage in their lives.
>Most of performance instructors (except for the Technical ones) have no idea what they are doing because the actual class work has very little to do with the course descriptions.
>Most of the freshmen and numerous upper level students have little to no experience in theater. Some are so afraid and insulted of and by physical contact that they literally spazz-out during improv and dance classes.
The worst instructor there is a hack called Majacowski. She is the voice for performance instructor, but her classes are really just $8000 yoga classes. AND she's not even good at doing those! In the last week you will recite a sonnet... That's all. No dialects, no styles, no training of any kind! A total waste of money! Her classes actual drive people out of the department. It's a wonder she's still allowed to teach there.
>Most of the seniors are quite snotty, and very unfriendly. Save for being more confidently arrogant they are no more talented than when they started.
>I went to this school because they appeared organized and well funded. After the drop-add period nothing could be further from the truth. This school is 95% dedicated to recruitment and only 5% to the ones (like me) foolish enough to blunder in and attend. (I understand that SCAD has not always been like this.)
>I have studied and worked in Theater for going on 20 years. I thought having a degree would help in my long term goal of becoming a teacher. It still may, but I should have gone to a conservatory.
>There was no fellowship at SCAD. The students were scared, boring, flippant, and VERY unfriendly. Probably because they know they were accepted to college for their money and not any discernable talent. I would not want to be someplace that foments such deep seated feelings of inferiority.
>I am now at a conservatory. The work is harder and plentiful, but 100% more challenging and rewarding. Despite my years in the profession I feel like I?m learning and growing. My new fellow students are courageous, talented, motivated, and fun. Despite the fact I?m 10+ years older than most of them they have made me feel more welcome than I ever was at SCAD.
>If you are a serious about becoming an artist or a serious artist of any kind but desire guidance and refinement, do the right thing and attend a conservatory!
>Stay away from SCAD.
responseARE YOU KIDDING? DID YOU GO TO THE SAME SCHOOL AS ME?

responseIf you're taking classes, especially any of the intro level classes, why would you even assume that everyone there has been on stage before? I'm about to take intro to performance in winter because being an actor is my childhood dream, but I've never acted before. I'm taking the class so that I can LEARN what it takes. That's the point of taking classes. Not to try and one up everyone else with how many times you've actually acted on a real stage before. I think it's good and nice that you went to school to refine your skills, but I don't understand why you had such a horrible attitude towards your fellow students and professors. If you weren't willing to learn anything at all from them, even things you may have known or earned already, then why did you even stay in the classes? I'm glad you were able to fine a place that suited you better though.