StudentsReview :: Indiana University - Bloomington

Friendly, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Closeminded

Friendly, Self Absorbed

Academic Success
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
She cares more about Academic Success than the average student.
Date: Mar 26 2013
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Now that I'm a Junior, I finally feel as if I can write an adequate review of IU. While the school has some positive aspects, if I could do it all over again, I would not have attended IU.

Campus: Honestly, this is why I chose to come here. It's beautiful. No matter what the weather, I am still constantly surprised at how gorgeous this place is. It looks and feels like "college." The town is really cute, but unless you have a bunch of money to spend every weekend, you probably won't be able to take advantage of it.

Academics: It feels like high school. Even in upper level English classes (10-15 students), I am not being challenged. I've worked with graduate faculty, and they just have not lived up to my expectations. That being said, there are some wonderful professors here. But one great professor every year does not make up for the others. There is a ton of busy work, and even when you personally meet with your professors, you don't feel as if you're an individual. I am also a Psychology major, and these classes are definitely disappointing. All large lectures, the professors are all focused on their research, you can just read the book and come in for the exam and get straight As. Nice if you're into that, but it's not what I was looking for.

Student Body: I think this is the most disappointing part of IU. Yes, there are intelligent, friendly, interesting people here. But I have had to constantly seek them out, and that becomes tiring. The overwhelming majority of the student body has adopted this attitude that partying is the number one priority and school is just something you find a way to get around. Remember senior year of high school when you just did the bare minimum and then joked about how drunk you were on a Tuesday night with your friends and forgot about your test the next day? Yeah, welcome to IU. And don't get me wrong, I go out, party, drink, blah blah blah. And it was great for the first two years. But I didn't expect that to be the main aspect of my overpriced education.

Financial: Speaking of over-priced....IU has seriously swindled me out of a ton of money. Their priority goes to funding in-state students. I lost all financial aid a year ago, with no explanation. When I went in to the office to get help and tell them I didn't understand why I suddenly had to come up with 40,000 dollars a year, they were of no help whatsoever. You have to constantly fight for aid.

Misc: I know freshmen really focus on dorms/dining halls when first coming to college. These things are important, but please remember to look at the big picture and remind yourself that only 1 year of your life will be spent in these places. The dorms are generally very good, albeit a bit depressing after awhile. If you are interested in a sort of artsy/alternative lifestyle (I'm not really sure how to put it) PLEASE check out Collins LLC. It was a great experience and I met many of my friends there. All of the dining halls are awful, but probably to the extent that any dining hall is awful in large state schools. I will never set foot in one again.

Parting ADVICE: If you're looking for the quintessential college experience, the kind you see in the movies, with a beautiful campus and crazy parties, then consider IU. If you picture yourself surrounded by an intellectually stimulating student body and growing as a student and an individual, I would look elsewhere. You can do those things at IU, but it will be a constant battle every semester to seek this experience out. Unless you are interested in Jacobs School of Music or Kelley, IU is not worth the money to attend out of state.
responseThank you so much for this fucking post like seriously! I'm a freshman that just got here this fall and I just wanted to say thank you for voicing my opinions exactly, as I feel like i'm oppressed into silence here at ole IU. Everyone is just some stupid high schooler who gets drunk all the time here and thank you for saying that!
Compare IUB-BloomingtonSave IUB-Bloomington