StudentsReview :: Indiana University - Bloomington - Comments and Student Experiences

Purdue University -- West Lafayette, IN

Indiana University - Bloomington

Pros: Education is great.Quite BrightAccounting
Pros: Education is great. If you look around long enough, you'll find some people worth meeting. Sure the tuition is huge, but there are other schools charging an extra $20k/year for the same quality education. All teachers have been awesome. There are a lot of trashy parties if you like trashy parties. There are a lot of trees if you like trees. I hear Lil Wayne is performing here next year if you like him. You probably don't though.

Cons: Everyone is from indiana or chicago. Even though it's college, everyone still hangs out with their high school friends. Weed out classes are all over the place and classes seen as too easy get made much harder for the next semester. Indiana students usually walk in with 4 billion credit hours, making the out of state people take the leftover classes when scheduling. The school is too big for its own good. Put 40,000 in the middle of nowhere and of course it'll be a party school. Everyone wants to go greek but 200 years of legacies, not many good houses, and all the high school connections make it unrealistic. Literally thousands compete for 25 spots. A lot of clubs have max caps too, so not all activities will take you.A lot of these problems can be avoided if you're coming from in state. Out of staters, don't expect to become campus famous. I'm liking it here, but all the other people from my hometown transferred within the first year. Definitely know if your major's education and the price tag are worth it before going into this. It's definitely not what I pictured in terms of the student body, but if you're outgoing enough that's only a small disappointment. Overall, I'm out of state and still getting what I'm paying for, which is a lot.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: D
Indiana university was not a good experience forBrightAccounting
Indiana university was not a good experience for me. I went there my first year of college and it was the worst year of my life.

Let me tell you about the students here. The students can easily be grouped into certain categories:

1. "Townies" - townies are kids who grew up in Indiana (excluding NW indiana.) within the townie group there are two subcategories: the first is kids from the suburbs of Indianapolis. Carmel, Indiana, supposedly some wealthy suburb of Indianapolis, is where lots of these kids come from. They're very snooty and think they're rich. Bitch, please. You'd be middle ass at best in the Chicago suburbs. The second group of townies is Indiana kids who are a little more rural and middle class or lower. These kids are a lot more down to earth.

2. The "chicago kids." Let me start of by saying I am a "Chicago kid", I live in a middle class suburb 20 minutes north of downtown. But there are not many others like me. The Chicago kids you meet here will almost all be from the north shore-some of the wealthiest towns in the entire country north of Chicago along the lake. These students will ALL tell you they study business. Lots of them were rejected by the university of illinois, which is a much better school, but they're parents are wealthy and can afford to have them in Kelley even though it's out of state. These kids are the stereotypical frat boys, wearing polos every day and driving their daddy's escalades.

3. East coast kids: 95% of the east coast kids come from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. And they are ALL Jewish and ALL wealthy. It's easy to spot them on campus just by looking at them, it isn't hard. They usually have very dark black hair and large noses. They all either study business or law. Some are quite nice, some not so much. It really depends on the person. The east coast kids I met were some of the nicest and some of the rudest people I met at IU.

4. West coast kids: these kids are alright, I only knew a few of them and most of them are pretty fratty, but they're a lot better than the east coast kids.

5. Everyone else: makes up a tiny minority of the school. This group includes people outside of the coasts, illinois, and indiana. Lots are from Ohio, Kentucky, etc. I can't give you much here. Iys hit or miss with these kids, they're simply too diverse of a group.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Alright, I am a freshman here at IndianaQuite BrightEconomics
Alright, I am a freshman here at Indiana University, which is probably one of the largest party schools in the country. Needless to say, I don't really take part in that scene. Let me go into depth about this "glorious institution" that is Indiana University.

Academics: These are my main concern. Unlike many of my classmates, I actually care about school and I like learning. I am majoring in geography and economics and minoring in mathematics. From what I have experienced here, I would describe Indiana University's education quality as average. As a freshman, you will probably be enrolled in some large lecture classes to meet some of the gen-eds, so expect to be among 200-300 people. I have felt that I have been luckier than the average student, though, because my professors were all native English speakers and hold plenty of accessible office hours. As an "arts and sciences" student, I cannot say much about entry-level business classes, but it seems that the quality of education increases as you enroll in upper-level courses.

Other Students: The worst part of Indiana University, however, is the undergraduates that go there. If you are a lowlife bro who loves shots and basketball games, I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded people; the same applies to dopey ditzy basic girls whose main interests are vodka and Instagram. Most of them are attracted to the business school, because they don't like an actual subject and just default to a way to make a lot of money. They get low grades in easy subjects such as introductory economics and finite mathematics because they were too hungover on the day of the midterm. If for any reason you are out late, any night of the week really, expect to see these animals wandering in herds to the next opportunity to inebriate themselves. It's actually quite hard to meet people not of this mindset.

Dorms: Most people move out of the dorms sophomore year, with good reason. There is a high likelihood that you will not have air conditioning, making the entire months of August and September unbearable. Many of them were built between 1950 and 1970, so they will seem dingy, depressing, fluorescent, but you get used to them. Most dining facilities are okay; they just opened a new one in the southeast neighborhood called "Woodlands" which is actually pretty high-quality for on-campus dining, but most places have what you would expect; chicken sandwiches, pizza, burritos. As far as "neighborhoods" go (categorized dormitory regions), let me summarize them all in a few words each.

1. Northwest: Typical IU party area. A bunch of mindless bros in tank tops with their female counterparts. Kelley School of Business people.

2. Central: Pretty average people, mostly normal suburbanite white kids that comprise the majority of Indiana University.

3. Southeast: This is a mix of international students, music school students, and a few of the people that comprise groups 1 and 2.

If I could make a suggestion, I would urge you to join an LLC. Originally I started out "going rando" (random roommate random dorm), and I lived at Wright in Central neighborhood. My experience of Indiana University improved magnificently when I decided to switch to Collins LLC halfway through first semester. If you seek alternative lifestyles/community service/activism, you should live here. Friendly, generally good people, with a some elite hipsters that luckily don't sour the bunch. It's what Bloomington is actually like.The hardest aspect of attending a school like Indiana University is finding intelligent life in the pool of neanderthals that I have the displeasure of calling my classmates. Call me arrogant, but I can not believe that people like this go to my college. Academically, it is not that hard, and if you actually devote a portion of your day to studying (like you are supposed to in COLLEGE), you should be fine.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016