StudentsReview :: Middle Tennessee State University

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Middle Tennessee State University

Alumni Survey

Intelligence
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I transferred to MTSU from community college so I was a bit older going into the traditional college environment (although I did experience a semester at UTK which didn't work out for me). I lived on campus in a building that at the time had just been renovated and very easily made wonderful friends. I started my college career by being a History major but then soon changed to Psychology and after that settled with English. Each department was friendly and helpful. Since I have more experience with the English professors I can claim that my professors were quite knowledgeable about their subject, and each are more than happy to help as long as you put in the effort.

I became a Resident Assistant in my second year and continued till I graduated. This means I had to walk around campus at ungodly hours of the night. Personally, I never felt unsafe on campus. Of course, that doesn't mean things don't happen, but you're going to encounter that at most campuses. People have commented on the high number of Memphis residents on campus. Considering my second year I lived in the area that campus police called "mini-Memphis" this claim is quite accurate; however, I personally never had an issue with anyone and to say the campus is "overrun with black people" is quite hyperbole.

Price, location, Coed vs. single gender, and community vs. suite style bathrooms are all factors in choosing on-campus housing, but if anyone wants recommendations I would go with Monohan, Lyon, Smith. Judd, Sims, Beasley, and Gracy are decent, but Deere and Nicks can be swamps when it rains (even on the top floor). Corlew and Cummings I'm least familiar with, but they're the Freshman housing so I stayed away from that since I was a transfer student (although most on-campus housing is filled with Freshmen).

Parking has been an issue for years on campus (and yes, someone did even stab someone for a parking spot). Since I've graduated they have added several construction projects that have cut down on parking spots for students. Although I hardly had issues with parking I can't honestly speak for now. What I can say is that compared to my current university where I'm completing a master's degree, parking decals are over four hundred dollars. Certainly makes me miss MTSU in that regard.

Overall, any college experience is what you put into it. I have great friends and great stories from MTSU so I can do nothing but highly recommend it.