StudentsReview :: Pensacola Christian College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bob Jones University -- Greenville, SC
Liberty University -- Lynchburg, VA
Indiana University -- Bloomington, IN

Pensacola Christian College

I had actually wanted to go to another

Sep 05 2014Education
I had actually wanted to go to another Christian College, but the Lord closed that door and opened the door to go to PCC and I am thankful for it. Yes, it is strict. I had friends who took the handbook just to laugh at it. I went into it with the philosophy that every rule that seemed weird or extreme was there because someone had done something foolish that required it. I did not take the rules as legalistic or an expectation of how I would live the rest of my life, but as a salt shaker to help me see that I'm not the only person my age who loves God and that because I am salt in a lost world that I need to hold myself to a high standard so as not to stumble those around me. I received FANTASTIC preparation to be a teacher. I was ready to handle a multi-grade classroom or a large single-grade room; I've done both. The accredidation part has been somewhat of a headache because of the state that I moved to, but I didn't do as much research as I should have on getting it either. A few classes that count toward a master's will fix the problem. I loved the education, the music, the friends I made and the structure of the campus. I had to be to work at 6:30 in the morning,so I was thankful that my roommates could not be awake all night. I was not there because my parents made me go there or one of the girls there for an MRS degree. I was there for an excellent education and I got it. I would go there again.
Starting Job: elementary teacher Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+

The people that say this school sucks are

Aug 26 2014PreMed and Medical
The people that say this school sucks are the drop outs and losers. Everyone I know of that "hated" it are the people who are still living at home, in jail (seriously, I'm not kidding), or working at McDonalds. Everyone I know that loved it and got a good education are successful engineers, physicians, attorneys, professors, etc.
4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+,

I write this as a Christian, homeschooling mother

Nov 13 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I write this as a Christian, homeschooling mother of four.
I spent two years at their private high school and a year at the college itself. It was a degrading experience and I was glad I got out. I ran to this school as a way to get out of a bad family situation, but I only managed to run from one emotionally and spiritually abusive situation into another.

The system the college has set up for "moral accountability" is nerve wracking and put me on edge even though I was a line follower. I was a full believer in the school when I started but in the end my fervor was eaten away by the lack of trust and true compassion from the school.

The school was really subtle about their judgmental attitudes. Many of the teachers there truly did care, but the harshness in the system was built into the deans themselves and the floor leaders/student leaders they trained. Someone could smile to your face and turn you in with no qualms the moment your back was turned. Walking around campus you would see students sitting in common areas holding phones. Those were the people you wanted to avoid. As a woman I could walk past two of them and get nailed with a demerit by the third because my shirt was "too tight" on my curvy frame. Skinny, flat chested girls could get away with tighter clothes. Heaven forbid you have an average frame, you are stuck wearing maternity type shirts or jackets all the time.

As a homeschooling mother of four children I cannot recommend this college to anyone and have actively discouraged other homeschool parents from considering this school for their child. I am raising my children to be adults. If my children still need babysitting in their college years, I have failed in my job as a parent. I am not saying that the college experience has to have the cultural expectations of debauchery and wild living. However, I do expect my children to make sound decisions by the time they are legal adults. That should be the goal of any parent who wants what is best for their child.

Starting Job: Homeschool parent Preparedness: F Reputation: F