StudentsReview :: The University of New Mexico - Comments and Student Experiences

New Mexico State University -- Las Cruces, NM

The University of New Mexico

DO NOT take the advisement offices here seriously

Sep 13 2014Mechanical Engineering
DO NOT take the advisement offices here seriously. They don't really care about helping students take the right classes and only want to do their job. I remember when I came here for the transfer student orientation we had to go see our advisors to find out which classes we need to take in order to graduate. Instead of actually taking some time examining our current credits and finding the best possible solution, all they did was say, "Um, for 'this' engineering, it'll be four years and for this discipline it will be six years. I recommend taking 'this' class(which was one of the university's general education requirements)."Again, don't take your advisors seriously. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to figure out which classes you need to take yourself.

Great University to get a degree from

Jun 14 2014Geography and Geosciences
Great University to get a degree from. One of the best quality universities when compared to the cost of attendance. The geography program has some top notch professors that really set you up well professionally. I had two internships during college and was set up with a job across the country 2 weeks before graduating. GREAT SCHOOL!
4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Scholastic Success: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C

I'm a transfer student from NMSU and all

Sep 19 2014Mechanical Engineering
I'm a transfer student from NMSU and all I have to say is, anybody that is thinking about receiving their post-secondary education from New Mexico really needs to take NMSU into consideration. Las Cruces/El Paso may not be really uppity towns and the athletic teams suck, but you're much more likely to not be viewed as a number there because the classes are much smaller.

The campus is really nice, but I get the feeling that money is being wasted on making the whole place look good rather than towards helping us advance our degrees.

NMSU's libraries are much nicer than the ones here. Enough said.
The engineering program here is surprisingly really good. If you're an ME, you'll have the option to earn your bachelor's through the FSAE program. This is where you design and build a race car and race it against other university's FSAE programs. UNM is ranked INTERNATIONALLY in the top 20 for FSAE.

The campus is literally right next to some of the most ghetto parts of Albuquerque. If you walk onto Central, you'll see homeless people and gang members in every direction. If you take the city bus to school, it's the exact same thing.

Breaking Bad was filmed here in Albuquerque, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018