StudentsReview :: The University of New Mexico - Comments and Student Experiences

New Mexico State University -- Las Cruces, NM

The University of New Mexico

I don't know why there'are so many negativeQuite BrightArchitecture
I don't know why there'are so many negative comments. I'm happy with I'm doing. No idea about other departments, but the architecture program is great and conceptional. Professors are strict but funny at the same time. They make you work hard and push your limits. I first came to class and thought I would never be able to make it. But in the final, I made it and even better than I'd thought. You may never imagine that you can go over you limits. Advisors may not be very helpful. You will be given a plan and have to follow. Don't expect specific advice. Well, I don't mind (though it's annoying somehow) I scheduled everything myself. City is bad and dangerous. Extremely be careful if you go out alone. Dorm food is terrible - I guess this happened at every college in the States. There're many clubs and organizations, but none is my interest. So just go to the gym if you need to exercise. Don't expect too much on sport clubs.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D+
I'm a transfer student from NMSU and allNot so brightMechanical Engineering
I'm a transfer student from NMSU and all I have to say is, anybody that is thinking about receiving their post-secondary education from New Mexico really needs to take NMSU into consideration. Las Cruces/El Paso may not be really uppity towns and the athletic teams suck, but you're much more likely to not be viewed as a number there because the classes are much smaller.

The campus is really nice, but I get the feeling that money is being wasted on making the whole place look good rather than towards helping us advance our degrees.

NMSU's libraries are much nicer than the ones here. Enough said.
The engineering program here is surprisingly really good. If you're an ME, you'll have the option to earn your bachelor's through the FSAE program. This is where you design and build a race car and race it against other university's FSAE programs. UNM is ranked INTERNATIONALLY in the top 20 for FSAE.

The campus is literally right next to some of the most ghetto parts of Albuquerque. If you walk onto Central, you'll see homeless people and gang members in every direction. If you take the city bus to school, it's the exact same thing.

Breaking Bad was filmed here in Albuquerque, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: D-
DO NOT take the advisement offices here seriously.Mechanical Engineering
DO NOT take the advisement offices here seriously. They don't really care about helping students take the right classes and only want to do their job. I remember when I came here for the transfer student orientation we had to go see our advisors to find out which classes we need to take in order to graduate. Instead of actually taking some time examining our current credits and finding the best possible solution, all they did was say, "Um, for 'this' engineering, it'll be four years and for this discipline it will be six years. I recommend taking 'this' class(which was one of the university's general education requirements)."Again, don't take your advisors seriously. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to figure out which classes you need to take yourself.