StudentsReview :: Wright State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Wright State is a great school.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Wright State is a great school. It may not be perfect, I am most disappointed in the advising staff both when I was in school and from what I know of the current situation from my daughter who attends there now. In large part I think that is due to them being overworked and underpaid and possibly not as well trained as they should be. If you use the degree audit program you will be in good shape. It was a great school for me, low cost/good education and prepared me well for my career. I highly recommend Wright State!
Starting Job: DBA; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+
After living down in Kentucky for 8 years,AverageCriminal
After living down in Kentucky for 8 years, where I received a B.A. in History & a Criminal Justice minor along with various other classes in Emergency Medical/Pre-hospital care, I decided to move back to Dayton to be closer to family. I decided to go to Wright State building on what I studied at EKU and get a Bachelors in "Crime & Justice studies." I transferred over 180 credits to Wright State and the initial person I talked to said i could graduate in 3 semesters, which sounded awesome. Knowing that after going to EKU, which has one of the best Criminal Justice programs in the country, to Wright State there would be some droppoff in the quality of the program, but did not expect to have to jump through the hoops i am currently experiencing.

The program which is in the College of Liberal Arts offers a B.A. in criminal justice not a B.S. like at EKU or UC. Halfway through my 1st semester I learned that the college of liberal arts requires all students in the college to have 4 semesters of a foreign language or ALS (although never being told this by an adviser or faculty member), which came to be quite a concern for only having 2 semesters of major classes left. The department was unmovable on this issue, thus delaying my graduation. I'm now having to take 2 semesters of spanish in the summer term. A combination of University, college, and major requirements makes scheduling classes a nightmare, along with the fact that some classes are only offered once every 2 years. To get some classes I took at EKU to count for some of these requirements, for example to cover 1 of the 2 required "integrated writing" classes, I had to turn in all the work I did at a class 5 yrs prior to at EKU, in addition they needed a syllabus and needed to talk to the instructor who taught the class at Eastern, and they still wouldn't accept it, requiring me to take re-take a class I took a Eastern just to fulfill Wright State's college of lib. arts requirement. IT honestly feels like every time you go to see your adviser, he/she will throw another curveball at you in order to keep you there just a bit longer & Often Ive felt punished for going to another University before Wright State.

The instructors at Wright State are not bad but many upper level classes are taught by someone with a masters degree they, sometimes just recently got from Wright State. The classes and work load are significantly more that my previous experiences, probably because teachers just out of their masters program still expect undergrads to do graduate level work. But, most instructors have a general desire for their students to do well and graduate.

The University in itself is quite strange. Yes, the tunnel system is awesome, but its a relatively unattractive campus. You can often be annoyed by the throngs of foreign students. If you are looking for a traditional college experience Wright State is not for you, students pretty much keep to themselves; greek life is a joke, students do not attend sporting events, the university promotes student life but theres just not much to show for it. Other than Hamilton Hall, dorms are a bit of a hike from the main campus, & although people complain about parking Ive experienced much worse. In all honsety Wright State isnt the worst college in the world, but if you are a transfer student expect to jump through a ton of hoops. Also, if you plan on majoring in Business, Engineering/computer science, Pre-med, Nursing, or fine arts Wright State is a pretty good school. If you are thinking about going into something else explore other options, beacuse there is a reason people around Dayton say "Wright State, Wrong college."

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, Friendliness: F
Like any other university, you will get outAverageComputer Science
Like any other university, you will get out of Wright State what you put into it.
Yes, Wright State University is an open admissions university, so some of the students that attend WSU aren't very well prepared for college academics and they end up leaving before they graduate -- that is why the retention rate is 41% and the graduation rate is roughly 50%. If you have a pulse, and completed a high school college prep program with a 2.0 gpa or higher you'll be accepted to University College -- individual degree programs have there own admittance requirements.

I majored in Computer Science and, in my opinion, many of the professors and graduate assistants in the CEG/CS department did an excellent job of preparing me for employment as a software engineer.

But, in IT, especially computer programming, innate ability and motivation is what is really going to determine how successful you'll be. It doesn't matter if you go to DeVry, Wright State, or MIT. In IT, the cream rises to the top!

I spent roughly $15,000 on my undergrad tuition and I have already paid my student loans in full. There are many academic/non-academic based scholarships available which helped me pay part of my tuition.

I began attending WSU when I was 25 and graduated, with a 3.5 GPA, when I was 29 -- so I was not a traditionally aged student. If I can do it, you can too!

If you want to party, WSU is not a big party school, and the place is a ghost town on the weekends and after peak hours -- WSU is predominately a commuter school.

In summary, WSU is a great value, and has helped me attain my educational and occupational goals. You'll hear people knock WSU, but it's usually due to their own insecurities. Wright State right school!

Starting Job: Software Engineer; Preparedness: B Reputation: F
Compare WSUSave WSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→