StudentsReview :: Wright State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

This is is an honest review and IBrightMechanical Engineering
This is is an honest review and I will grade each section of this place
1.academics - It all depends on what your major is. for stem majors (engineering nursing etc.) is well known and it is challenging. people do complain about foreign prof. and tough ones but that is at every college and those majors are hard everywhere and but if you study you will do well. yes there are weed out classes but its part of being in a stem major and overall I like the stem programs and my engineering classes. OTHER than that its a joke. my English class was horrible and the professor was liberal and biased like most professor in the awful liberal arts college. my grade is a B

food- its all opinion based but I like it, grade A-
campus-the campus is small but large which I like. The tunnels are great and the library is great as well. However the campus does look unappealing compared to other colleges, grade B-

dorms-the dorms are okay, Hamilton hall is close to everything but it looks unappealing, the woods is awful, but honors hall is nice, yes it is a hike but a lot of things and places are at this place, plus the dorms are nice too so grade, B-

administration-it is terrible all the bad reviews about the administration was right. Nobody helps you out, you have to figure stuff out on your own, financial aid office is trash, and the advisers send you loops to get every dime. For example I realized I didn't needed my year long English class, so I wasted my money on that there are problems that they don't want to solve. My grade is F

athletics-it's D1 with basketball but with no football so my grade is C
social/clubs-oh boy this is the worst part about this campus. The social life is HORRENDOUS. Most people commute meaning that they show up and leave and for people living on campus, they show up and go to their dorms and leave EVERY WEEKEND. I stay half of the weekends I get so bored since nobody is here and I end up crying. It is very HARD to make friends. I try so hard to make friends but I couldn't make 1 friend. Don't get me wrong they are nice people and I meet people and talk to them in my classes, but I don't hangout with them because they left campus all the time. Most people talked to their high school friends and don't include anyone else in their group. As for clubs, since I'm an engineer I don't have time for clubs but I have heard mostly some poor reviews. My grade is F-

student body-The student body is awful. it ties in with social life since most people come and go, nobody cares for this school and it makes me sad that the nutter center, which is a huge stadium is awesome place but nobody goes to sporting events and fun events since people come and go and that's the student body. they are nice and fun people but most just keep to themselves and nobody has pride. my grade is F-

party scene-no parties so grade is F
parking- terrible F-
campus resources-it has a rec center and stuff a regular campus has so grade is Boverall- My experience at WSU socially terrible and because of that I was diagnosed with depression. I know I praised the stem department because its good but don't go here. you want to go to a place where you can be happy. I know WSU networks with lots of jobs and internships, which is good, but go to a place where your happy because there is a reason for low graduation rates, retention rates and less hiring. It is because of the awful administration and the sad social life and nobody is happy. My grade for wright state university is a D+/C-

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
Wright State University is more like a highQuite BrightBiology
Wright State University is more like a high school than any other University I have ever seen. If you want a quality higher education centered around open mindedness and values then do not go here. The faculty, particularly the advisors are extremely unhelpful. I spent 3 weeks trying to get ahold of my advisor for scheduling help one time and never got so much as a call back or an email. There is a lot of staff here but it is impossible to speak to anyone of value. For instance most people working desks such as admissions and records are students and when I asked to speak to someone higher up they could not provide it. This school is not challenging, the professors are less educated than other universities, and the easiness of the curriculum is astounding and pointless. If you want to challenge yourself, and your mind, and go somewhere in life i suggest you do not attend Wright State University.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Scholastic Success: F
I used to love Wright State.Quite BrightCommunications
I used to love Wright State. It was the only school I applied to and since I built many connections throughout the school during high school, it only made sense to attend. Unfortunately, this school is simply not up to par in almost any sense.

What others say about advisers being unhelpful or generally clueless is not some frustrated student who screwed up themselves and is looking to place blame elsewhere. The advisers honestly are no help. YOU need to know when classes are offered and YOU need to do everything regarding when you are taking classes in the future yourself. Collaborating with fellow students in your major is the best way to go. I started out an education major and often times you needed to apply for things or schedule certain classes by certain dates that you'll never hear about unless you're hounding the college for that information.

When I transferred to communications, I found some professors to be quite good at their jobs, while others are simply living off tenure (most notably the higher ups).

You often see reviews of students saying "This professor has an agenda" or "This professor didn't like me." That happens at Wright State and especially within both the education departments and the communication department.

I've had the head of the communication department tell me she would do what she could to make sure I wouldn't get a job with a local media outlet after graduation.

Many of the top professors in the communication department, which many times there is only one professor who teaches certain classes you need to graduate, have political and social agendas that take over lecture times and then the topic of the lecture that was supposed to take place during class is passed off to you as homework.

I ended up transferring from Wright State to UC. I'm not advertising for my alma mater but I strongly would advise you to look elsewhere. If you want to make Wright State your safety school and then look elsewhere to transfer, that isn't the worst plan in the world. Just be prepared to be your own adviser and teacher while attending.

In non-academic terms, WSU has no social life. Most students work full time and commute. Those who do live on campus leave as early as possible to go home each weekend. Students who attend WSU are the students you probably never really got to know if high school because they weren't interested in much of anything else besides sitting in their room alone. Nothing happens on weekends aside from some sporting events on the other side of campus that you honestly need a car to get to unless you want to rely on WSU's inefficient shuttle system.

If you want to meet people and have that "college experience" you're really going to have to work for it at WSU. Most people aren't here to make friends. They're here to go to class, leave as quickly as possible so they can go to work and then repeat it again the next day.I say this again, look elsewhere. Don't waste years of your life here like I did.

5th Year Male -- Class 2014