StudentsReview :: The University of California Berkeley - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Regret coming here over Yale and MIT andBrightChemical Engineering
Regret coming here over Yale and MIT and USC.
Student body is the worst, and you are not treated as a person but just a number (over 30,000 students, obviously I should have realized this).If you are studying engineering, go anywhere that is ABET credited. The programs are the same and the notion that Berkeley is top for engineering only applies to graduate school.
more→Jan 10 2015
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A, Individual Value: F
I hated it here and regret that IAverageArchitecture
I hated it here and regret that I went here.
Academically: I caught up eventually, but now realize i needed a little more handholding at 17 yrs old. No one helps you at all - the other comments are true.

Socially: If you are a D1 bold athlete with money, you will be fine. If you are quieter and like smaller groups of mixed friends, good luck. You will be drinking alone.

The people here for the most part were so unfriendly and close minded , it really affected me. I would have gone to a smaller liberal arts school where I could be more of myself, and get more individual attention and guidance. This would be a GREAT place for grad school -undergrad is difficult.

more→Feb 15 2013
5th Year Female -- Class 2000
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I graduated a few years ago from BerkeleyQuite BrightMath
I graduated a few years ago from Berkeley and subsequently went to graduate school on the East Coast. I knew that I disliked Berkeley when I was there. Comparing my experience at Cal with my experience at another university has made me sure that I was miserable at Berkeley.

First, classes are huge. Unless you major in a foreign language that nobody speaks, or a similarly useless major that nobody studies, your classes will be huge (100+ people). Second, you are on your own with respect to everything. This isn?t necessarily a bad thing, but because classes are huge, and TAs or professors will often be terrible at teaching and/or cannot speak English proficiently, you will have to learn everything on your own. Third, students self-segregate by race. I have never met a more self-segregating group of people in my life. The university doesn?t help the massive self-segregation problem either, considering it has dorms that segregate by race. Fourth, Berkeley, the city, town, whatever it is, is a terrible place to live for people who don?t beg on the streets for a living. I?m not sure if Berkeley is a city or a town because it?s too small and boring to be a proper city but too filled with concrete and ugly to be a proper town. It?s dirty, it?s ghetto, it?s small and boring, yet it?s expensive. Fifth, I often wondered how half the class got admitted. Numerous people struggled with classes that contain basic concepts like Stats 2. I will concede that a plus with Berkeley was that I was able to get a high enough GPA in my major (3.7 in Math) to get into graduate school at another university.

more→Apr 07 2012