StudentsReview :: Malformed University Name, Uncategorized Surveys - Comments and Student Experiences

Malformed University Name, Uncategorized Surveys

I transferred from Hartwick College to here.Quite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I transferred from Hartwick College to here.
I really like a lot of things about this school. The size is just right. It's small enough so that I don't feel like a number, and big enough that I don't see the same people everyday. Classes are pretty good and my professors are pretty good. Note: stay away from Carolyn Straughn if you aren't a feminist. I haven't been challenged, but you can't be totally lazy and do well here. In other words, it's easy to keep a 3.0 with minimal effort, but a 3.5 is some real work. Dining services are fine, I recommend the cafe and not the dining halls, except for Terraces. There are plenty of clubs, but not that many interesting ones and the ones that are interesting are during the same time periods. I can't speak for Park or Music students, but Art History is pretty engaging and there is plenty of oppurtunity to hone in on specific topics that you might like, especially in Jennifer Jolly's classes. Another department that I've enjoyed is English. Right now I'm taking Shakespeare with Wendy Hyman and enjoy it. A lot of people are really engaged in discussion, although some people dominate, but that's the case with many classes.

Ithaca is a nice, small city (I think it's a city) with an average mall and a nice common area. Shopping is pretty plentiful and so are other fun things. Dining is EXCELLENT. I reccomend Madeline's or Rene's, although they are a a bit pricy.

Being a transfer student, Ithaca has a very good policy on AP's (3 or better, although sometimes a 3 only gets you elective credit) and I transferred in with 73.3 credits after only a year of college and some AP's and high school college classes.

This rose does has its thorns though. It's difficult to make friends, and organizations don't do much to change that. Live on campus, it's much easier to make friends. I live off campus and so I can't comment on dorms. Another thing is that the weather is horrible. It snows a lot and nice weather lasted until about Novemember. If you like warm climates don't come here. In the warm weather Ithaca is truly beautiful. It's also very pricy if you don't qualify for the Ithaca Acess Grant, and being a minority helps, as the ALANA scholarship I got pays 7k per year, pending a 3.0 GPA. I would recommend Ithaca to anyone who is a) in one of the strong majors, b) wants to live in a liberal enviornment, and c) doesn't mind the cold weather.

1st Year Male -- Class 2007
Individual Value: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C
Like any school, you'll get out of IowaJournalism
Like any school, you'll get out of Iowa State what you put into it. The harder you work, the more you'll learn and the more contacts you'll make in your future business. When it comes to Journalism, ISU is a great school. It has lots of opportunities for hands-on learning, from it's state-of-the-art studios to its 400 hour internship requirement. I didn't know how important that was, or unusual, until I became the Internship Co-ordinator at my current TV station. Most schools, if they require an internship at all, only require 70 hours or so. That's barely enough time to learn everybody's names! Overall, ISU is as cost effective as most state schools. There's the typical bureaucratic red tape to deal with. But you'll get that just about everywhere.
Wow...looking back after 15 years I still haveEconomics
Wow...looking back after 15 years I still have happy memories of my years at Rutgers. It's a bit of a family institution my father, sister, brother-in-law etc also having gone there.

For me, my 4 years at RU were more of a character-building experience than an academic one. I was fortunate enough to have an athletic scholarship and my teammates and the friendships I formed with them are what I have carried forward with me the most. We still have a fairly large group of us that are in contact and vacation together regularly despite us living across the US and world. All are successful from being Olympic athletes, to Wall Street, to business owners, to US diplomats and on.

I agree with what one student here had commented about was the Ivy League "reject" mentality at Rutgers. Being such an old school (founded in 1766) and with Princeton about 20 miles down the road, there has been literally over 2 centuries of competition between the schools but mainly with Rutgers students trying to prove they are "just as good" as the Princeton students and the PU students trying to ignore the Rutgers ones. This was exacerbated for me in college since my sport was rowing and we regularly competed against Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and all the rest of the Ivies.

All that being said, Rutgers is still a great place to spend 4 years. It's a VERY diverse school with clubs for pretty much ANY interest. And so close to NYC...my freshman year I could see the Twin Towers from my dorm room window...no longer is that view there unfortunately. The social life is pretty darn good although since it's the state university for a geographically small state and with NYC and Philadephia so close, it can tend to empty out on weekends. New Brunswick has undergone a MAJOR transformation since I started school there in the fall of 1985. While it still has its gritty charm, downtown is no longer a place to avoid at night.

You can get a great education at Rutgers but you have to work it....there are a lot of really good professors here, many of whom are frequently quoted in the national news or have written major textbooks in their field.

It is a bit of a machine given it's large size, but being split up into several smaller colleges and campuses (and I don't mean New Brunswick, Newark, and Camden) - Rutgers, Douglas, Livingston, Cook, etc (all in New Brunswick) helps to negate the feel of it being too big. If you can, attend Rutgers College - the original and oldest one also with the more rigorous academic standards for admission and graduation. Only odd thing is that while you may be a Rutgers College student that is held to higher standards, you might sit in the same class next to a Livingston College student who didn't have the same grades in high school...and if he/she fails a course and retakes it, the F is replaced by the higher grade. But you being a Rutgers College student, if you flag a course and retake it, BOTH grades stay on your transcript.In the end, Rutgers is great if you are willing to take on the task of getting a good education and don't expect the path to be laid out for you. Additionally, find yourself a niche - a club, a sport or something to belong to, otherwise you can feel lost in the shuffle. Looking back, especially with the lasting friendships I have, I wouldn't change anything.

Union University (TN) 1:negative